Join Early Retirement Today

Solo Age'er, ... in it alone? Any tips?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
gone traveling

Solo Age'er, ... in it alone? Any tips?

I saw this link and thought this crowd might find its insights helpful.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/wh...=hp_realestate

As we all age I'm sure some see this or that strategy they too might consider.

Certainly there are strategies that they think they might adopt in their aging's alone's peril & adventure.
I'm sure none of us want to end up broke. I've witnessed some people do a 90*, some a 180*, and some a 360* change for better or worse in their older age days mindset.

Its seem to me the longer one works, or has a working type schedule, the longer and better off they are.

I've watched a significant % of retirees die with-in a 2-4yr era of stopping work or its lifestyle.

What about you?

Good luck!
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post

Its seem to me the longer one works, or has a working type schedule, the longer and better off they are.

I've watched a significant % of retirees die with-in a 2-4yr era of stopping work or its lifestyle.

What about you?
Nope, haven't seen this at all. Feel free to test out that theory about working as long as possible. I'll test the opposite case.

That aspect wasn't even in the article. For the part that was, I figure I'll probably live in an independent or dependent care facility when I start having issues taking care of myself. Or live near my son or other relatives if I can do that without being a burden. That's many years away for me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My circle of friends are mostly aging solo - and have thought and talked about this a lot, probably more than those with spouse and children. Most have documents in place, are taking care of themselves, and have a plan. Of course, most of these will not be adequate to meet the challenges, but we talk about that too.

And I agree with RunningBum that the working longer theory is, well, not applicable to most here. Please read the "Sunday nights are amazing" thread to get a counter-perspective.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

How old were they when they stopped work?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We do know that many people go into retirement simply because they turn 65, or 66, or for some other arbitrary reason. They haven't spent hours on this forum thinking about how to manage their time and their life, as well as their money. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be sitting in this recliner without having thought through the loss of my job-connected prestige, social contacts, and fulfillment. I loved my work until I didn't, and had been thinking about this, and discussing it, for a very long time.
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #6

Quote:

Good luck!
I've heard this come up from time to time. I think one thing that skews the statistics is that a lot of people are forced to retire before they want to, because of health reasons. Or they were in manual labor-type jobs that simply wore their bodies out. So in many instances, they probably would have died in 2-4 years whether they kept working or not.

Right offhand, I can't think of anybody in my family who retired and then died within a few years. About the worst I can think of is my Dad. He retired at 62, and died at 71. However, he drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney, and avoided doctors like the plague. He also got stressed out in his later years, caring for Granddad (his father), who made it to one month shy of 102.

I have an uncle, on my Mom's side, who went out on disability at the end of 2013, when he was 61. He's had kidney issues all his life, had a transplant, but then had to go back on dialysis once the transplant began to fail. He's also had bouts with cancer here and there. He kept working, as a truck driver for a construction company, but was down to 3 days per week. He got fired for something stupid in late 2013, but then discovered he could have actually QUIT working years before, and qualified for disability. So, he went on it, and it paid about what he had been making when he worked.

I have noticed that he gets pretty lazy when left to his own devices, and does need motivation now and then. To be fair though, his health still isn't at 100%. He had another transplant back in 2014, but has to constantly go back to doctors, take a ton of medication, and I think that wears him out. But, one of the first things I noticed him slacking off on, was cutting the grass. His yard might take an hour and a half to cut, with the tractor. Well, he started doing half of it one day, and then the other half on another day. He also sleeps a lot, but then he sleeps at odd hours, so sometimes he's up at night. But, this December it'll be 6 years since he last worked, and he doesn't seem too much the worse for it.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We do worry about this. We are both only children and will soon have no living family members. We have friends but not close friends and the majority of them are our age. We have Living Wills and POA on each other but nothing beyond us. Hopefully we will have plenty of years ahead to figure it out. I just want DW taken care of should I die first. Again.....hopefully many years from now.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #8

We're wrestling with aging alone right now filling out estate planning forms.
We have no one to name as an executor, much less healthcare power of atty.
All of the names that come to mind are either 10yrs older than we are or can't balance a checkbook.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My MIL was hospitalized with a twisted colon a day after retiring at 65. It took her 2 years to fully recover and she booked a cruise. Her colon does it again. She spent a month in ICU after surgery. She goes to a rehab facility for 2 weeks to get stronger. She keeps telling them she isn’t feeling well. They finally take her blood and she has a massive infection. They got to her room to take her back to the hospital and she was dead.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Nope, haven't seen this at all. Feel free to test out that theory about working as long as possible. I'll test the opposite case.
LOL. I'm with you. I'm already in my 50's - not delaying retirement over those concerns.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
gone traveling

The article doesn't address the reason they are single/childless, or in bad financial shape either. Many folks who find themselves in this situation don't have the best habits for longevity, let alone the burning desire to see their children/grandchildren be successful, and happy, so why try to survive longer when there is no impetus for doing so ?

I will try everything possible to F.I.R.E. and look forward to a retirement filled with youth ballgames, and fun family moments.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
The article doesn't address the reason they are single/childless, or in bad financial shape either. Many folks who find themselves in this situation don't have the best habits for longevity, let alone the burning desire to see their children/grandchildren be successful, and happy, so why try to survive longer when there is no impetus for doing so ?
The article doesn't really say anything about being in bad financial shape. I am not sure I understand your point.

I don't have kids, and in no way do I feel that without a "burning desire to see my children/grandchildren be...happy", I have no impetus to live long.

Before jumping to an indignant conclusion, I'll first ask for clarification as to your meaning.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
How old were they when they stopped work?
Retirement age,..close to 65ish.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
We're wrestling with aging alone right now filling out estate planning forms.
We have no one to name as an executor, much less healthcare power of atty.
All of the names that come to mind are either 10yrs older than we are or can't balance a checkbook.
This is probably facing more folks than we know.

National Council on Aging (NCA) data confirms that over 60% of the elderly are financially taken advantage of by their family,... primaly by aging adult children.

I've seen it myself.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
The article doesn't really say anything about being in bad financial shape. I am not sure I understand your point.

I don't have kids, and in no way do I feel that without a "burning desire to see my children/grandchildren be...happy", I have no impetus to live long.

Before jumping to an indignant conclusion, I'll first ask for clarification as to your meaning.
I obviously don't understand what drives you to wake up in the morning, just like you have no clue of my motivations.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Did you really mean to sound so dismissive and heartless? Infertility is not uncommon, and a terrible source of heartache. Beating it costs much money, is a physical risk/challenge for the woman, and doesn't always work. Adoption is not a snap, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
The article doesn't address the reason they are single/childless,
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Been happily married for 35 years; childless by choice. Looking forward to many happy FIRE'd years with my DW.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe there needs to be more transparency and oversight of commercial providers of custodial fiduciary providers.
I would trust a CPA firm or Vanguard or legal team to manage my finances then any relatives that I have. I don't have kids and do not see much potential in the younger generations that would make me have them manage my money.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Did you really mean to sound so dismissive and heartless? Infertility is not uncommon, and a terrible source of heartache. Beating it costs much money, is a physical risk/challenge for the woman, and doesn't always work. Adoption is not a snap, either.
No, i'm having a better day today after leaving Megacorp for a long weekend....still not retired.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:47 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

We never expected to be this old, or to be reasonably healthy.

We have spent the time to deal with the future, and are at peace with whatever might happen. Myself or jeanie.

22 years growing up and college.
30 years employed
30 years retired (frugally)
61 years married

Absolutely the happiest days of our lives.

Moved into our CCRC 15 years ago at age 68. Best decision, as we're comfortable and well adjusted to life without worries.

It was a bit of a tough decision at the time... live in the homestead 'til we died or be safe... with the ability to adjust to whatever might happen. We love living in Liberty Village... Just now came back from a driveway party with about 25 good friends who live here in the Villas. Same age group, same interests. Naturally many widows/widowers in a 300+ population so the transition, when it happens, is easier than living alone.

No downsides, and we will not be a burden on our four sons and their families.