some questions from a 55 yr old.

golfnut

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just curious to get people's thought s on the following:

- a swr for a 55 yr old with the following AA:

50% Equity Funds (of which 12.5% in int'l)

12% TIPS Fund

20% Bond Funds (mostly intermediate)

18% cash

- also, how would one enter the above AA into the FIRECALC??

Thanks in advance .

Golfnut.

When do you plan on Dying ?

For a 30 year retirement a SWR around 4% is reasonable (less investment fees).

I would first run FIRECALC with the total market option. FIRECALC doesn't model foreign equities, TIPS, or MM (cash) accounts so you'll have to choose whatever you feel is closest.

I expect that FIRECALC will give you a SWR around 4% (including investment fees). Keep in mind that FIRECALC is just a rough guide. Nobody really knows what the future holds. So detailed modeling to the nth decimal isn't reasonable. Just take the result as perhaps the kind of SWR that you could use.

Lets us know what you discover.

When do you plan on Dying ?

For a 30 year retirement a SWR around 4% is reasonable (less investment fees).

I would first run FIRECALC with the total market option. FIRECALC doesn't model foreign equities, TIPS, or MM (cash) accounts so you'll have to choose whatever you feel is closest.

I expect that FIRECALC will give you a SWR around 4% (including investment fees). Keep in mind that FIRECALC is just a rough guide. Nobody really knows what the future holds. So detailed modeling to the nth decimal isn't reasonable. Just take the result as perhaps the kind of SWR that you could use.

Lets us know what you discover.

Bases on your suggestions, it appears a 3.25 swr works for a 40 yr investment period and leave about $130,000 at the end.

That dovetails with a number of acedemic studies. Here are some of Bernstein's charts for some mixed stock-bond portfolio's:

Attachments

• SWR2.gif
    SWR2.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 8
  • SWR.jpg
    SWR.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 187
I better be gone by 95 or I'll be SOL !! In other words, no plans on living beyond 95 nor do I want to (I think).

while you're in this phase - modeling your SWR - you may want to try out the free ESPlanner (esplanner.com). Read some of the papers there too.

There is a very dense book & calculator by Otar at otar retirement calculator
(I have't tried the calculator, but the book is worth the slog)

All the best!

based on your name when your swing goes it is probably a good time to with it...

I'm hoping to be a better golfer in early retirement than I am now . I'll be practicing and playing more!

At 94 you may change your mind. ;)

I do taxes for TaxAide. This year I had a couple come in -- he is 94, she 93. Up until this year he has been doing his own taxes. This year he admitted it had reached a point where it was a bit too complicated for him. He and his wife looked pretty spry.

Back
Top Bottom