Join Early Retirement Today

Something's Wrong
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Something's Wrong

"shares of Goldman Sachs fell almost 4 percent, to $139.25, after the company reported that its profit more than doubled, and Lehman Brothers, which reported a record profit on Monday, fell 4 percent yesterday, to $59.42, after dropping 5 percent on Monday.

"It's one thing if you make mistakes and the stock goes down," said Mr. Black, president of Delphi Investments, "but when you are shooting the lights out and the stock is getting drilled every day, that is a bear market."
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Something's Wrong
Old 06-14-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When the market wants to go down "good news" is bad and "bad new" is even worse. The spin I heard was "investors are concerned that the unexpectedly good earnings will not be able to be sustained." In a few days the "investors" will suddenly realize the new P/E and jump on it like.....
Old 06-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #3

that's the best kind of drop in stock prices - one where the fundamentals haven't changed but the price drops. It's just going on sale. When you buy the stock, you're getting the same thing, just cheaper.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont
"shares of Goldman Sachs fell almost 4 percent, to $139.25, after the company reported that its profit more than doubled, and Lehman Brothers, which reported a record profit on Monday, fell 4 percent yesterday, to $59.42, after dropping 5 percent on Monday.
Nothing wrong with taking a profit.

Especially near the end of a seasonality quarter with options expirations and other volatility-enhancing events influencing investor emotions.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
The spin I heard was "investors are concerned that the unexpectedly good earnings will not be able to be sustained."
Lets see...a quick pass through the spin degenerator says the real answer is:

"We dont know"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper Bunny
Lets see...a quick pass through the spin degenerator says the real answer is:

"We dont know"
So that sounds like a BUY BUY BUY! to me. Or are you saying sell sell sell!?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Oh, its "buy!"...just probably not now.

I'll put you on the "buy!" notification list right behind dantien if you'd like!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper Bunny
Oh, its "buy!"...just probably not now.

I'll put you on the "buy!" notification list right behind dantien if you'd like!

That's ok. I've got my own predictive indicators I look at. They are 100% correct. It's just that timing is an issue. They are only reliable to +- 1 day unfortunately.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #9

I don't think the issue with Goldman relates to the market as a whole.

GS earns an increasing % of their profits from proprietary trading. They aren't required to disclose many of the details about this trading and the potential exposures it creates.

This makes it a very hard company to analyze, and therfor makes their spectacular profits less so.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
That's ok. I've got my own predictive indicators I look at. They are 100% correct. It's just that timing is an issue. They are only reliable to +- 1 day unfortunately.
CFB,

My predictive indicators reveal that yesterday, 6/14/06 would be a very good day to get into the market. Hope that helps some. Your welcome in advance!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Just wait until next week. You might change your mind...
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 AM   #12

Could you say this was a case of buying on the rumor and selling on the news?

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about why and when the “Smart Money” on Wall Street buys and sells. Looking back at the last week or so I came up with some reasons why they would have been concerned about future revenue streams. I would be interested to hear what some of you think of my attempt at analysis.

GS is divided into different philosophical camps, like the bankers vs the securities guys. A lot of their profits in the past year have been from the securities side of the house. But, the ability to keep that going in the near future had some doubt cast on it Monday when Lehman’s announced their quarterlies with some qualifiers. Basically, they said last quarter was the easy one for equities, but the next one is going to be difficult to predict. About 60% of GS’s profits right now are coming from the trading side of the house. GS started falling that same day, as did Lehmans.

Specific to Goldman Sachs is the fact that their CEO is leaving for Treasury and the President, Blankfein, is moving into his spot. That’s not the big worry for the “smart money” as much as who Blankfein’s replacement is going to be. What philosophical camp the new president comes from can have a dramatic impact on what the company’s philosophy on doing business will look like.

The banking side of the house had a decent year but there have been a few bumps in the road. They’ve never had a problem paying debt, but they’ve also never had as high a debt to equity ratio as they do now. Again, something to be concerned about. A few more bumps in the investment banking side and a crappy quarter for the market investors and who knows what might happen. Like Saluki said, the securities side of the business is a little murky to start with and when their competition starts pointing out that the easy day was yesterday the future gets even murkier.

So, simply put I think that the wall streeters look at GS and see a company that has raised its dividend by 40% in a year and now the revenue stream that supports that is possibly threatened. It may not be a credible threat, but there is a blip on the radar screen so to speak. They don’t want to be left holding the bag if everybody else bails so they move out of their positions.

The way I see the so-called smart money guys is that they’re like a couple of gunfighters in the old west. Each trying to anticipate the other guy’s move so they can try and beat him to the draw and pull the trigger first. For us long term kind of guys it can be unnerving, especially when you’re trying to move in or out of a stock. But the rest of the time the smart money crowd is just an annoying noise that we have to put up with.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The analogy works until you reveal the truth that very few gunfights occurred the way they're shown in the movies. When they did, usually both guys died. Maybe thats the punchline.

Very few of the big name gunfighters engaged in many gunfights, and almost all of them were shot in the back at some point. Thats a good punchline too.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:34 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Although I was ignored, I was certainly correct in my post, "Somethings Wrong". By January 3r, of 2007 banks started failing. Lehman Brothers then nearly took down the world economy. My post was just months before this and centered on the banks.
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:15 PM   #15

Congrats on the great call. What moves did you make to profit from this observation? And of greater importance, what can we do now. Thanks
Old 04-16-2023, 05:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
Although I was ignored, I was certainly correct in my post, "Somethings Wrong". By January 3r, of 2007 banks started failing. Lehman Brothers then nearly took down the world economy. My post was just months before this and centered on the banks.
Are you saying something is wrong now ? If so what? Please just the top ten things..
Old 04-16-2023, 06:38 PM   #17

That's a long time to hold an "I told you so" grudge...
Old 04-16-2023, 07:22 PM   #18
Administrator

You were right. The warning signs were legion. https://www.early-retirement.org/for...tml#post419786
Old 04-16-2023, 07:29 PM   #19

Please tell me this isn't déjà vu all over again. Oh, well, we've had a pretty good fifteen year run so I guess it's time for the rubber band to snap back and start over !
Old 04-17-2023, 04:58 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
Do you mean the world ignored you, or people on this forum? Maybe both?

Companies, and that includes banks, do fail in our system. So we should expect that to happen, but less so where the company holds our savings and we expect safety.

The bond schemes of the great recession seem to be a different kind of stupid than what we saw with SVB and others.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote