Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Speaking of credit card rebates...
Old 11-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Speaking of credit card rebates...

What's the best deal you are aware of for credit card rebates or point systems? The one caveat - the credit card must have no annual fee. In other words, for us non-revolvers, a little bit of money for free.

I spent a little bit of time researching this about 2 years ago. Most of the decent rebate programs came with fees. The best I could find at the time with no fee was Amazon, which gives me 1% in Amazon credit for all purchases, but 3% in Amazon credit for purchases on Amazon.com.

For me it seemed as good as cash (at least in modest quantities) since I'm likely to spend a few hundred bucks a year on their site as it is.

Does anyone know of a better deal? (with no fees!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Discover has a standard 1% kickback. Each quarter they have 5% kick back on different things. For example in the first qtr they had cruises, travel related stuff. In the summer they had a kick back for gas and auto repairs. In the spring I seem to recall that Home Depot, Lowes etc was part of the 5% deal. They currently have 5% bonus on restaurants.

It all depends on your particular spending habits if it is worth it. For example, if you never buy from Amazon, what good is 3%?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #3

Pentagon Federal Credit Union

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRa...ewardCards.asp

5% on gas at the pump and 1.25% on all other purchases
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post

Ditto this.

It's nice because:

1. There are no fees on the card or the program.
2. There are no minimums or tiers.
3. The cash back shows up automatically as a credit on your monthly bill. Buy $100 in gas one month, send 'em a check for $95.

Only drawback is you can't easily set them up for autopay. I've got them set up in my checking billpay which works well enough for me.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Discover has a standard 1% kickback.

But doesn't it have an annual fee?

Also, their international coverage was traditionally pretty spotty.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post

Sounds like a good deal, although I don't buy gasoline so its less attractive to me.

Do you have to be active or ex-military to get one?
Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I have a Chase card that gives 5% back for gas, groceries and drug stores and 1% on everything else... but not available anymore...

BUT, a co-worker has the Freedom card and it just started to give 3% cash back on the highest three purchasing categories you spend during the month and 1% on everything else... SO, use it big for travel then all travel is 3% that month, use it for gas, then that is one... I am thinking of getting one of these for all my other purchases besides the 5% above..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Costco American Express - 1% everything including Costco, 2% travel related, 3% restaurants. You do have to pay to be a Costco member - $50/ year, IIRC.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have that Chase Freedom card that gives 3% on the 3 highest categories, too. But there's a limit of $600/month for the 3%, after that it's 1%. I use it for groceries so I always use up the $600. But that card also will give you $250 back when your rewards reach $200, so that's a bit of a bonus.

5% rebate cards used to be more common, but everyone has cut their rate back.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
Do you have to be active or ex-military to get one?
That works. Or if you're a relative of a military or ex-military. Failing either of those, there's an organization you can join for $20 which will then let you join PenFed. Personally my dad was USAF a long time ago, so that is how I qualified.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #11

there is still a 5% (grocery, drug store & gasoline) cash rebate card available ... check fatwallett.com.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Ditto this.

It's nice because:

1. There are no fees on the card or the program.
2. There are no minimums or tiers.
3. The cash back shows up automatically as a credit on your monthly bill. Buy $100 in gas one month, send 'em a check for $95.
Ditto. Loving.

Quote:

Only drawback is you can't easily set them up for autopay. I've got them set up in my checking billpay which works well enough for me.
Actually you can. I do it. You have to print out some form and write
in by hand. Somebody gave the particulars here early this year.
Search, or call them.

No only do they auto-pay, they do it at the very last day, effectively
floating you the money for the maximum possible time. There is one
minor downside of this, which is that it effectively halves your credit
line, since it must absorb the current month's spending as well as
last month's. Except you hopefully have some 10's of thousand of
dollars on deposit with their 6+% CDs, so raising credit line as
needed should be no problemo.
JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
But doesn't it have an annual fee?

Also, their international coverage was traditionally pretty spotty.

Discover has never had an annual fee.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll nominate American Express Blue - also no annual fee!
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
I'll nominate American Express Blue - also no annual fee!
This is what I have used for a couple of years. ytd $384 cash back on $21K spent. (1.83%)
Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #16

Quote:
The best I could find at the time with no fee was Amazon, which gives me 1% in Amazon credit for all purchases, but 3% in Amazon credit for purchases on Amazon.com.

For me it seemed as good as cash (at least in modest quantities) since I'm likely to spend a few hundred bucks a year on their site as it is.
That's the one I use for EVERYTHING, and pay off each month! I usually spend a few hundred bucks a year at Amazon, so it works out quite well for me.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have a Chase card that gives 5% back for gas, groceries and drug stores and 1% on everything else... but not available anymore...
TP, I think Chase is slowing converting all the 5% back cards to Freedom card (3%). My friend got converted to Freedom about 6 months back and I just got converted a few months back. Enjoy it while you can.

One note for Freedom card holders. If you wait till you have accumulated $200 before cashing in your rebate, you get another $50, for a total of $250. This effectively makes the rebate 3.75% assuming that all your purchases are in the 3% category.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #18

I have a FIDO card that pays 1.5% on all purchases into kid's 529 account. Parents have their own card paying into the other kid's account. No fee. I have have to even em up now and then.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
GM Card
Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

GM Card

For anyone who is saving for a NEW Chevrolet, Cadillac or other GM product the GM card is 5% of everything but is only good on purchase of GM. I saved $2500 on my last new Avalanche but now they have lowered the amount you can redeem to $1500. I won't need a new vehicle for a very long time so I am shopping around for a new card as well but that $2500 off was really a nice rebate.
We took the Avalanche 4X4 on our trip last month to Colorado and it performed as good as our old Jeep on the backroads and mountains so the Jeep is now for sale. The Avalanche was lots more comfortable too. So even though we bought a NEW vehicle, we got rid of 2 old ones.
2fer
Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
For anyone who is saving for a NEW Chevrolet, Cadillac or other GM product the GM card is 5% of everything but is only good on purchase of GM. I saved $2500 on my last new Avalanche but now they have lowered the amount you can redeem to $1500.
I've always wondered about that GM card. I'm curious whether a person could obtain comparable savings by simply walking in off the street and driving a hard bargain, or taking advantage of the rebate programs. A part of me fears that the GM program is loaded with fine print that says something like, "... up to $1500 can be applied to the purchase of any new GM, at full sticker price, cannot be combined with any other rebates or promotions, does not apply to Corvette, etc. etc." It seems to me that such conditions would render any savings from the GM card moot, or that one might even be able to get a better deal without spending $50,000 on a credit card first.

Do they require you to disclose your intentions to use the card before sitting down to hammer out a deal? Or can you sit down and bargain them down to a couple hundred above invoice, get them to throw in an extended warranty for free, and then mention, "oh, by the way, I'm using the points on my GM card, and I have a trade-in." It seems to me that dealers would hate that.
kombat is offline   Reply With Quote