Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Only to a charity that meets their criteria. Maybe she gives to some smaller ones the DAF doesn't recognize.

Also, she said

I don't think a DAF can be used to get anything in return. It can't even be used to fulfill pledges, but there are probably ways around that.

At this point I'll let audrey clarify.
Yes, I was specifically talking about memberships where there are some benefits like access to a facility, or a magazine/journal, etc., but the membership cost is still allowed as a 100% charitable deduction.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 06:09 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't think a DAF can be used to get anything in return.

I know almost nothing about DAFs, but I would think this is true. If something is being received, I don't see how it can be called a donation.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
I know almost nothing about DAFs, but I would think this is true. If something is being received, I don't see how it can be called a donation.
In the case of memberships, certain benefits are allowed, such as free access to a facility owned by the charity, or a journal/magazine owned by the charity. The membership is still 100% deductible. However, I don’t understand how a DAF could pay for such memberships.

However, if you attend a charity fundraising event say, that includes a dinner and/or entertainment, only a portion of the cost would be a charitable deduction. Same for a membership pledge drive that sends you some item. This is explicitly disallowed for a DAF.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

This new (re-introduced) deduction is useful for us in two ways.

1. Our Vanguard Donor-advised fund (DAF) has a minimum of $500 per donation and there are some charities we don't want to support to that level. This enables these smaller donations to be deducted.

2. For memberships (like Audrey says) where there are membership cards involved and the whole subscription amount can't be deducted, these can't be done with a DAF.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:51 PM   #25
gone traveling

So does this mean if you give the make the maximum QCD of $100K, this year you can donate$100,300 tax-free?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
This provision of CARES didn't really get the publicity it should have. One thing to note, from the Kiplinger Tax Letter, is that the law is vague about what it means for couples filing jointly. The $300 limit may be "per return" so a married couple filing jointly (which most do) would be eligible to deduct only $300, not $600. I did a subsequent search on this and the issue hasn't really been resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Agreed, but it is a nice gift for those of us who are using QCDs for our charitables. Doing QCDs lets us use the standard deduction which is substantially larger than the non-charitable deductions we can gather. So we make a profit on that. But there are always popcorn charitables/small checks that we can't/don't use QCDs for, so now we can deduct $300 or $600 of those.
I'm bumping this thread because the IRS has released draft instructions for the 2020 form 1040, and these instructions do limit the deduction to $300 for a married couple. The draft pub is here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

Quote:
Line 10b
If you don't itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040), you (or you and your spouse if filing jointly) can take a charitable deduction of up to $300 for cash contributions made in 2020 to organizations that are religious, charitable, educational, scientific, or literary in purpose. See Pub. 526 for more information on the types of organizations that qualify. A deduction can't be taken for a contribution to an organization described in IRC 509(a)(3) or for the establishment of a new, or maintenance of an existing, donor advised fund. Also, contributions of noncash property and contributions carried forward from prior years don't qualify for this deduction. See the Instructions for Schedule A and Pub. 526 for more information on those types of contributions. Enter the total amount of your contributions on line 10b. Don't enter more than $300.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Agreed that it is limited to $300 for either a single or a couple, but it is odd in that most other items like tax brackets, standard deductions, etc are broadly twice the single amount for a couple.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #28

I was thinking of passing this info to a local "No Kill Animal Shelter" that is IRS recognized as 501(C)(3) status. They could really use the help so maybe they could let people know.
I just want to make sure it is alright for them. Any downsides?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #29

Great idea. No downsides.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I'm bumping this thread because the IRS has released draft instructions for the 2020 form 1040, and these instructions do limit the deduction to $300 for a married couple. The draft pub is here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf
I did a quick-and-dirty comparison between the recently finalized version of the 2020 form to the draft version and they look alike.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, Cathy63.....

I also want to note that most of the remaining suggestions I made to Tax Advocate Nina Olson a few years ago were adopted this time. They include moving the Estimated Tax payments from Schedule 3 to the main form, and the elimination of the annoying process of adding unposted numbers from other forms to existing numbers on the main form. Now, all imported numbers are posted first and are indented, if necessary, like before 2018.

Now if they can move the ACA Subsidy (or repayment) numbers back to the main form instead of copying them to separate schedules first...….

Another handy change was to separate the W-2 and 1099 tax withholding payments onto separate lines before adding them together. (I didn't suggest it to Ms. Olson.)
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I did a quick-and-dirty comparison between the recently finalized version of the 2020 form to the draft version and they look alike.

Now if they can move the ACA Subsidy (or repayment) numbers back to the main form instead of copying them to separate schedules first...….
We are only a few moves away from getting back to the old 1040 which was superior to the new booklet of forms that is filed.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I realize that the 2020 H&R Block software clearly states that an update is forthcoming January 4th but the version today does not bring this special charitable deduction from the background into the 1040 Form. So it is not included.

For folks that use this software version to manage MAGI for ACA cliff (or other) purposes, be aware because the cliff is, well, a big cliff.
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
We are only a few moves away from getting back to the old 1040 which was superior to the new booklet of forms that is filed.
Yeah, there really was nothing wrong with the 1040-EZ approach for people who have simple taxes that can fit on a postcard, while still providing a full 1040 for those of us who have more complex tax situations. I expect we'll see something like that again.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
I realize that the 2020 H&R Block software clearly states that an update is forthcoming January 4th but the version today does not bring this special charitable deduction from the background into the 1040 Form. So it is not included.

For folks that use this software version to manage MAGI for ACA cliff (or other) purposes, be aware because the cliff is, well, a big cliff.
Turbotax is the same. I can input the charitable contribution, but it doesn't show up on the 1040.

Also, still nothing on that stimulus reconciliation that I can see. I should be getting a few hundred more refund due to not qualifying for the full amount based on 2019 income.

This will probably be one of those years where updates continue for some time.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 09:44 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Turbotax is the same. I can input the charitable contribution, but it doesn't show up on the 1040.

Also, still nothing on that stimulus reconciliation that I can see. I should be getting a few hundred more refund due to not qualifying for the full amount based on 2019 income.

This will probably be one of those years where updates continue for some time.
If you don't mind doing the calculation yourself, the worksheet for stimulus reconciliation is in the 1040 instructions on the IRS website. It's called "Recovery Rebate Credit" there, and the amount goes on line 30 of your 1040. You might be able to enter the credit in TurboTax manually in Forms Mode (Ctrl+2 or Cmd+2) even if they haven't implemented the worksheet yet. I don't have TTax 2020 yet, so can't verify this.

I'm guessing the charitable contribution you can enter in the TTax interview is the one that goes on Sched A. You could also try entering the $300 directly through Forms Mode. It goes on line 10b of the 1040.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, there really was nothing wrong with the 1040-EZ approach for people who have simple taxes that can fit on a postcard, while still providing a full 1040 for those of us who have more complex tax situations. I expect we'll see something like that again.
This is part of what I told Nina Olson back in 2019, and how the new forms made it a lot tougher (though a little easier in 2020 for the 2019 return) for me to complete a "postcard" 1040EZ for my friend.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post

Glad to see this CDRE. We do not itemize and I could not find a place to enter charitable donations outside of Schedule B, for non itemizezers. Now I know that the H&R Block form has not yet incorporated it. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Bumping this again to point out that for those planning ahead, the new relief act that includes the second stimulus payment also raises the charitable deduction to $600 for a married couple in tax year 2021. The limit for 2020 remains at $300.

Quote:
In the case of any taxable year beginning in 2021, if the individual does not elect to itemize deductions for such taxable year, the deduction under this section shall be equal to the deduction, not in excess of $300 ($600 in the case of a joint return), which would be determined under this section if the only charitable contributions taken into account in determining such deduction were contributions made in cash during such taxable year...
Old 12-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

And this special charitable deduction is for 2021 only?
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
And this special charitable deduction is for 2021 only?
Yes, it specifically says "taxable year beginning in 2021", and it still excludes DAFs.