Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
2004 Survey results

FRB: 2004 SCF
Here is some updated info from the survey
Quote:

From 2001 to 2004, the proportion of families carrying a balance
rose 1.8 percentage points, to 46.2 percent. The preceding
three years had seen a much smaller increase in use ...
Overall, the median balance for those carrying a
balance rose 10.0 percent, to $2,200; the mean rose
15.9 percent, to $5,100....
In the recent period, the median balance rose strongly for most demographic groups; but borrowing declined notably for the lowest
and next-to-highest income groups and for the
youngest age group. Many families with credit cards do not carry balances.

Of the 74.9 percent of families with credit cards in 2004, only 58.0 percent had a balance at the time of the interview; in 2001, 76.2 percent had
cards, and 55.4 percent of these families had an
outstanding balance on them

Far more troubling to me was 12.4% of home owners had HELOC with balances on them with an average balance of $22K

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, we aren't spending much on Christmas this year because our big present to ourselves is the trip to Hong Kong and Tibet in the Spring. That'll cost $7-8K, and should help out the Chinese economy some. Not that they seem to need it.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I am spending more this year. Last year only spent $60. This year will be $400. I'm doing my part.

Please do not try to connect this with a supposed belief that the economy is doing better.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
This brings up something I've wondered about lately -- what do news people themselves think about all the blather on TV these days? Do they just LOVE those interviews at the mall, or are they secretly hating life?

I once considered journalism and talked to some professors, students, and journalists who really wanted to change the world, be the next Woodward and Bernstein, etc.

Has anyone out there every been a journalist and what do folks on the inside think of the current state of the industry?
Such a great question.

My hubby is a radio newscaster who majored in journalism. He fell in love with Woodward and Bernstein, and I think he really did hope to do something important with his career. Over eight years at the same local news station, he's become very discouraged and disillusioned. There's not much scope for creativity or serious journalism in his current situation.

It's very much: We'll decide what we want to report on, and then we'll find people in the street who will feed us back this stuff that everyone can relate to. Relatability is their mantra. The audience is thought to be monolothic--interested in the same television shows and celebrities, and engaging in the same kinds of shopping and holiday-going behavior.

It's not that his station is actively quashing meaty investigative reporting. It's more that they've done their consulting and focus group research, and have determined that the listeners don't want it. They want fluff, so that's what they're getting. My DH is tired of working in a cliche factory.

He did do a cute story about Santa Claus getting cheaper shipping rates during Christmas. He had fun with that.
tikitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Has he consider NPR?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Has he consider NPR?
Ooh...great suggestion. It wouldn't be DH's thing (long topic for another thread), but I've thought of it for myself. I'm in the commercial side of radio, and have considered doing some local reporting as a way to kick myself out of my rut. Kind of scary. Reporting is hard to do well. It's a real job, compared to what I do now (commercial data entry and occasional voice work).

The new temporary executive director of our station was our local public radio head honcho for the past 20 years. They did some local features and aired NPR the rest of the time. Maybe he's still got some contacts over there!

Thanks for the idea
tikitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

The more I watch local TV news, the more I realize that it's a gigantic waste of time. There seems to be no journalistic standards applied to news stories. I absolutely detest the "man on the street" interviews.

When gas first hit $3 (last year?), one of the reporters asked a hapless looking customer at a gas station. I'm sure he was picked because he would exude the hopelessness of the gas being $3 a gallon. Here's how the interview went:

Reporter: So, is $3 gas really affecting you?
Customer: Yeah, it's really tough, it's really eating into my other purchases etc. Look, I can only afford to buy 1 gallon of gas today. <camera pans over to the pump fixated on the 1 gallon>
Reporter: Wow, yeah, you do have tough. Back to you Jim.

. So, when gas was $1.50 a gallon, this guy would have only been able to afford *2* gallons of gas! I'm not saying this guy isn't having it tough, but come on.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
The more I watch local TV news, the more I realize that it's a gigantic waste of time. There seems to be no journalistic standards applied to news stories. I absolutely detest the "man on the street" interviews.

When gas first hit $3 (last year?), one of the reporters asked a hapless looking customer at a gas station. I'm sure he was picked because he would exude the hopelessness of the gas being $3 a gallon. Here's how the interview went:

Reporter: So, is $3 gas really affecting you?
Customer: Yeah, it's really tough, it's really eating into my other purchases etc. Look, I can only afford to buy 1 gallon of gas today. <camera pans over to the pump fixated on the 1 gallon>
Reporter: Wow, yeah, you do have tough. Back to you Jim.

. So, when gas was $1.50 a gallon, this guy would have only been able to afford *2* gallons of gas! I'm not saying this guy isn't having it tough, but come on.
What they probably left out was that the guy was driving a motor scooter that gets 100MPG and would get him to work and back for a week on a gallon .
Old 12-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

You wouldn't believe what some of the reporters get paid outside of the top 10 markets. About 20K to start. Some even less if it is their first job.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:44 PM   #50

So...... are you saying they are over paid?
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
2004 Survey results

FRB: 2004 SCF
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
So...... are you saying they are over paid?
More of; you get what you pay for.