Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2021, 06:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Those of you that are spending less, do you feel less content?
We're less content...not because we can't spend but because we're missing out. I used to meet co-workers and former co-workers once a month or so at a local bar for wings. I've been doing that for 30 years and can't do that any more. We used to have friends over for drinks and a barbeque and we can't do that either.

We haven't seen many of our friends for a year, we hate it and we're not the only ones. We live in a winter climate...I expect that in spring people will revolt if the rules are not relaxed.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Are you spending less during COVID?

To set this up...we FIREd in 2019, but I do about 200 hours/year of handyman work. We are 59/62. Our annual spending is around $90k.

We sure are spending less, but not by choice! About 35-40% of our budget is discretionary....we normally spend a lot on travel (about 6 trips/year....one of those international), I have expensive car hobbies (muscle cars), I spend a lot in my woodshop (hobby, not to sell), and we went out to eat about 3x/week).

When COVID hit, we stopped all travel and did not eat out other than occasional carry out. The woodworking hobby increased, so I spend more there. But overall we’re spending about $1,400 less per month than before.

I told DW that we will make up for it when we can....we’ll take 10 trips next year or more expensive trips lol.

Yes, we are spending more on groceries and utilities....but still we’ve spent $15k less over the past year. We are very blessed to be in the financial situation we are, and look forward to getting out and around soon. Want to post more in the blow-that-dough thread.

What about you?
less on gas for sure but most of that is due to the RV being parked since May. entertainment is a bit less mostly because we haven't been to movies. we've been occasionally eating out in restaurants that remained open and thru carry-out from those that closed their dining rooms throughout the pandemic at about the same rate as before. groceries are about the same. in general life is right about the same now as it was then.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Another factor that we don't often think of is wear and tear on a vehicle.
Last Tuesday I left New Jersey for the first time since June, I think. I probably haven't traveled more than 30 miles from home during that time. It's insane to think about it.

We did get a break on car insurance back in the spring but they didn't offer that again.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

We spent a little more last year, DW and I took up playing golf so we got golf clubs, a golf membership and a new golf cart.
Zig56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Less on travel and dining out last year, more on a new car and house upgrade. Overall, spending was about 10% less than budgeted. Just bought a nice photo scanner and is going through boxes of old family pictures while waiting for international travel to open up. We plan to buy a new house this year so spending will be up. Hope life to return to normalcy later this year.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Papaya View Post
Less on travel and dining out last year, more on a new car and house upgrade. Overall, spending was about 10% less than budgeted. Just bought a nice photo scanner and is going through boxes of old family pictures while waiting for international travel to open up. We plan to buy a new house this year so spending will be up. Hope life to return to normalcy later this year.
OT but can you share info about the scanner we need one...you could PM to stay on topic here.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought Epson Fastfoto FF-680W. It has an auto feed and built for speed, up to 1200 dpi. It cannot scan negatives. Very happy with it so far.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Before Covid, my wife traveled 60 miles 3 times a week to go line dancing with her girlfriends. Before Covid, I played Senior Softball 3 times a week traveling the same amount. Well? All softball leagues canceled. Dance classes canceled. Our gasoline and car expenses have plummeted. Now, we rarely eat at restaurants. We have disposable income coming out our ears. I recently bought a guitar amp that I really didn't need. why? cuz i could. (not really a good reason). We just got our 2nd Covid shots and are ready to rejoin the world, but still no dance classes or softball leagues.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #49

Much less on everything except food. Definitely started trying new & better things.

Vacation still was domestic and drivable places. Probably a wash there. Probably $1k less monthly...

2019 was a bad comparison as we remodeled & bought a "new" car. $100k vs $43k the past 12 months. This was the least we spent since moving back from Mexico 6 years ago...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I spent more for all the disaster prep and additional grocery items purchased in 2020. Not being able to feel easy to be outside made me consume more indoors.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #51

lol albyndyz...post a pic of the money coming out of your ears.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:52 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

My 2020 spending was almost exactly double my 2019 spending.

I decided to do a major condo renovation in the middle of the stay at home restrictions. Floors, kitchen bathrooms, office, wetbar, etc. I had to move out for a few months, and since I was going to be out, I just went ahead and did everything I could think of. My AC could have limped along another couple of years but got a new one, I added redesigned closet system to the mix that I was originally going to do a few years down the road.

Apparently lots of people had the same idea. I am still waiting for closet doors to be delivered (8 months and counting) and a few other items had crazy delays.

But it was worth it.

This year I will hopefully be able to travel, and come home to my beautiful newly renovated condo!
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I spent more in 2020 than in 2019, but it was in the same ballpark.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:33 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
My 2020 spending was almost exactly double my 2019 spending.

I decided to do a major condo renovation in the middle of the stay at home restrictions. Floors, kitchen bathrooms, office, wetbar, etc. I had to move out for a few months, and since I was going to be out, I just went ahead and did everything I could think of. My AC could have limped along another couple of years but got a new one, I added redesigned closet system to the mix that I was originally going to do a few years down the road.

Apparently lots of people had the same idea. I am still waiting for closet doors to be delivered (8 months and counting) and a few other items had crazy delays.

But it was worth it.

This year I will hopefully be able to travel, and come home to my beautiful newly renovated condo!
Wow, you’ll never want to move now!
Old 02-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #55

28% less, mostly due to not traveling.

But that doesn't count the home improvement (which, with increase to value of house, didn't affect the balance sheet), and the new car (which, if I bothered with amortizing, would have been the same year-to-year).

But looking at cash flow (with the excluded items above), we're up 32%.

Who was it that was looking for a "one armed accountant" so they could never say "on the other hand...."?

This is the curse of an engineer that got temporarily "drafted" into becoming a financial analyst at the megacorp. Now I can't just make a one-armed statement when it comes to finances.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We spent more not due to any other reason then we just spent more. Our life style didn't really change any with the virus. We don't travel much and live in fly over, very rural area so if we hadn't heard everyday about the virus on news etc. we wouldn't have done much different. Really never see anyone or it as a one on one conversation and did use all safety guidelines thou.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:37 PM   #57

We started out spending less due to no travel....but then with time on our hands and knowing we would be home we did some home improvements and ended up spending more. I love to travel but we do have some good stuff to show for our 2020 spending.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #58

I think we’ve spent about 25-30% less. We’ve both spent more on hobbies, but significantly less on eating out (just the two of us), eating out with out DD and SIL (where we pay because they can’t afford to yet), and travel. Pre-COVID, we typically made 10-12 trips a year...some were just 3-4 days, others 7-10. Last year, we went to Disneyland in January, before COVID blew up, the Grand Canyon for 3 nights (also pre-COVID),, and twice to Idaho to see our new grand baby. We skipped out annual trip to Hawaii for the first time in over 20 years (many years we go twice).

This year, we’ll spend more...we just got our vax appointments, so we won’t feel so afraid to get out and do things, even if we are still required to mask up in most places. I’ve got three RV trips planned, and in the process of booking 4-5 more, most of which will average 7-14 days each.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

For the first for the first 8 months we spent much less. The 6 month trip that was planned to our vacation home and also around Europe died a quick death. Dinners out. Zip, shopping Zip. Housekeeper less but we still paid her. Then we found a home in an area we have been looking at but there is never any turn over. Bought the house and undertook a major renovation project. Boom! COVID savings gone. Boom rental income from vacation house since we weren’t there gone! So Net for the pandemic it would have been much cheaper to have been in an expensive hotel in Paris having flown first class and never having known that the house we bought came on the market!
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:52 PM   #60

CC spending is way down. Travel, restaurants, gas. More than made up for it on a substantial landscaping project.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote