Join Early Retirement Today

Spousal Pension NOT optional for some
Old 11-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spousal Pension NOT optional for some

A casual friend (brother of one of our best friends) passed away yesterday. Unexpected, he fell off a ladder trimming a tree.

He was 58 and a retired labor. It turns out his 51 year old wife, who is on disability, will get nothing from his pension. Seems "they" agreed to take 100% with no survivor benefit. She signed the papers, so there is no recourse. She is cut off immediately.

They were not savers, but the pension, with SS would be enough to live on.

I know there are circumstances that say the discount for survivor benefits is at least debatable (two pensions, large savings, etc.). This was not one of them.

For most here, we know enough to consider the possibilities. But many may have friends (like us) that don't think that far out. If you can, counsel them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2020, 02:34 PM   #2

Tragic - ESPECIALLY with that big of an age difference.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #3

Yes, this is very sad.

Because she was younger, the joint & survivor option would have "cost" him more.

Frequently, a spouse simply signs what is put in front of her. Likely, hubby was not all that financially savvy either and didn't think it through.

The loss of his pension may also result in the loss of any health care afforded to her through him as well.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #4

Yikes, how awful! DH and I haven't yet decided about survivor benefits with his pension. I'd be ok without it, but better with it of course. Among other things, we need to figure the tax consequences of him taking 100% vs. less with SB. There might be some incentive there to take the SB route. Got a few years at least to figure it out.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Yes, this is very sad.

Because she was younger, the joint & survivor option would have "cost" him more.

Frequently, a spouse simply signs what is put in front of her. Likely, hubby was not all that financially savvy either and didn't think it through.

The loss of his pension may also result in the loss of any health care afforded to her through him as well.
Re: the bold above -

That crossed my mind and still remains to be figured out. I suspect she will ultimately qualify for Medicaid
Old 11-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Re: the bold above -

That crossed my mind and still remains to be figured out. I suspect she will ultimately qualify for Medicaid
Yes, I suspect that she will.

My DH is (retired) Union. If no joint and survivor had been taken; no health insurance would have been available to the spouse; in the event spouse survived union member.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #7

I knew a guy at work who did that, took a 100% pension with no survivor benefit. The worst happened, five years later he died and left his wife, who had been a SAHM for the last ~20 years, essentially destitute after what little savings were exhausted.

When I retired I was acutely aware of the ramifications of various options (there were about 12-15 different combinations) and went over them in excruciating detail with DW so that she would know exactly what she was signing (spouse had to sign off on it) and what to expect if I pass first, which is of course the most likely outcome. There will be some reduction in income but she'll be a long way from living under a bridge eating cat food.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My husband and I both have pensions and took the 100% survivor benefits. He is 5 years younger than me but we felt the reduction was necessary.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just have a non-cola pension of $1,380/month, and let my wife decide what she wanted, which was 50%. I didn’t have a lump sum option, but she took that on hers. Fortunately, we have plenty of savings, so it’s not a concern.
It’s a shame they don’t do more to counsel people so reliant on a pension on the possible consequences of each choice.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
It’s a shame they don’t do more to counsel people so reliant on a pension on the possible consequences of each choice.
That is really the point of my post. And, to be blunt, to encourage spouses not to "just sign the papers" without knowing the possible outcome.

To add a little background, he was 22 and she was 15 when they got married (no shotgun, they never could have kids). She trusted him to make the financial decisions, but it was a costly mistake
Old 11-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #11

My FIL did something similar. This was before they required spousal signatures... He cashed out his union pension as a lump sum... spent the money (he was a gambler), and after the fact, MIL found out. Needless to say she was unhappy. After years of being a SAHM, at home with 6 kids.... she went and got a job with pension possibilities. When they retired - it was on *her* federal pension.

I'm sorry your friend died. And I'm sorry your friend's wife is in this situation.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:17 PM   #12

Given that we each have a non-cola pension and SS, losing the deceased's SS will be bad enough. No need to add losing the pension on top of it! We take the (small) hit on the initial monthly payouts as a form of insurance against an unexpected death.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a Military retiree, my wife had the option to select Survivor Benefit Plan [SBP] the day that I retired. She was counseled separately, that she had many options. If we paid one amount, then when I die she could get 10% of my pension, for another amount she could get 20% of my pension, and so on, in 10% increments. She could get 10% of my pension after I die, or she could get 100% of my pension after I die, it all depends on how much of my pension she wants us to pay into the program.

My opinion was not solicited. As a service member, my wishes were not considered. This is specifically her benefit, though it affects how much of my monthly salary I can get paid.

I have gone to a couple of SBP workshops, but again as the service member my input is not considered. They only want to hear from my wife.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #14

Age old, ongoing debate with military retirees. "Its too expensive" vice "I wouldn't do without it." They started requiring spouses to sign if they refuse the survivor benefit. Still, the local base survivor services gets distraught phone calls every single week from surviving spouses whose retiree husband died and the check stopped. I could not work there. Those calls would hurt my soul. At least now they have proof the spouse declined it whereas in the past they didn't require it so the retiree could just decline it and never mention it at home. Slowly all of that generation will pass. and the phone at survivor services will continue to ring bc the checks stopped and they "don't remember signing it" I'm sure.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
As a Military retiree, my wife had the option to select Survivor Benefit Plan [SBP] the day that I retired. She was counseled separately, that she had many options. If we paid one amount, then when I die she could get 10% of my pension, for another amount she could get 20% of my pension, and so on, in 10% increments. She could get 10% of my pension after I die, or she could get 100% of my pension after I die, it all depends on how much of my pension she wants us to pay into the program.

My opinion was not solicited. As a service member, my wishes were not considered. This is specifically her benefit, though it affects how much of my monthly salary I can get paid.

I have gone to a couple of SBP workshops, but again as the service member my input is not considered. They only want to hear from my wife.
Kudo's to the Military for doing it right!

Just one question. You said "if we paid one amount...". Did you actually have pay into the system, or are you talking about the reduction in benefits? I ask only because the wife of our friend made a similar comment that her husband did not want to pay for the benefit. She was under the impression they would have pay up front, and that does not sound correct.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

For the full SBP benefit (entitling the spouse to 55% of the military retiree's pension), the retiree has 6.5% deducted from their retired pay each month to pay for the coverage. Reduced benefits have proportionally less deducted.

When I retired my wife attended a retirement seminar with other spouses to learn about the SBP plan. After it was done, DW decided she wanted full coverage, so that's what we happily went with - it's very reassuring to my DW to have this as we game out future "what ifs".
schenbew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:19 PM   #17

There are too many more stories like this. I worked with a guy who retired at 55 around 1985 under the old federal CSRS. no social security for those folks. His wife was around his age. He selected no survivor benefits. This may have been before spouse approval was required, but it wouldn't have mattered. The month after he retired in Idaho his tractor rolled over on his farm and killed him. I believe she moved in with a son from a previous marriage.

In my the vague memory section of my brain, I recall one or two other fatal tractor rollovers for recent early retirees in the organization I used to work for

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #18

Its subtracted monthly from the pension and its pretax. I think that's the world. Theres a tax advantage so its slightly discounted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Kudo's to the Military for doing it right!

Just one question. You said "if we paid one amount...". Did you actually have pay into the system, or are you talking about the reduction in benefits? I ask only because the wife of our friend made a similar comment that her husband did not want to pay for the benefit. She was under the impression they would have pay up front, and that does not sound correct.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
Its subtracted monthly from the pension and its pretax. I think that's the world. Theres a tax advantage so its slightly discounted.
Thanks. That's what I thought. Hers would have been a Union pension, but I suspect handled the same way.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #20

So sad, but a choice made by many. DH chose 100% for me after some mildly tense discussions. There was a serious cost benefit discussion. He came around in about 30 seconds once I explained the math and my feelings on the subject. Checks start next month.

I feel for anyone in your friends position. Pension decisions are irrevocable and so very important. I would always recommend 100% J&S no matter the cost. One spouse is going to predecease the other 100% of the time.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote