Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Spousal Social Security
Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Spousal Social Security

Can someone help me with a social-security-for-spouses question?

I am seven years younger than my DH. I am a few credits short of being able to obtain my own SS. For this discussion, assume I do not return to the workforce to get those last few credits and will collect on DH's record.

If DH collects SS before his FRA at age 67, I know his benefit will be reduced from his PIA.

What I am not completely clear on is my benefit, should I collect on his record. If I wait until my FRA at age 67, will my benefit be half of his PIA or half of the reduced amount he is receiving at the time I file?

I have been over and over the SS site and various blogs and haven't seen a clear answer on that. It sounds like once I reach my FRA I would receive half of his PIA no matter when he begins collecting, but I thought I would see if someone here knows for sure.

Of course, this assumes that SS FRA and $$ aren't tinkered with before we get to that point.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
The other question would be Medicare coverage, is this also spousal ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
It sounds like once I reach my FRA I would receive half of his PIA no matter when he begins collecting.
This is exactly how it works.

Also, you can claim your spousal as early as 62, but it will be a reduced amount from the 50% of his PIA.
DatumPoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
The other question would be Medicare coverage, is this also spousal ?
Yes.

Quote:
You are eligible for premium-free Part A if you are age 65 or older and you or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years. You can get Part A at age 65 without having to pay premiums if:
  • You are receiving retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board.
  • You are eligible to receive Social Security or Railroad benefits but you have not yet filed for them.
  • You or your spouse had Medicare-covered government employment.
Here is the source: https://www.hhs.gov/answers/medicare...are/index.html
Old 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #5

I can confirm this to be true, I started SS at 62 and my wife is currently collecting spousal amount of 50% of my FRA amount. She waited until 67 to get the full 50% otherwise it would have been reduced. This was easy to do since she is 5 yrs older than me.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the replies. This helps in our planning. Now I have to run some more numbers....
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. This helps in our planning. Now I have to run some more numbers....
IDK how old you, are but the last time cutting soc sec was getting some traction they were targeting anyone under 55 for the proposed cuts. So I would run a few scenarios, the 100 % promised amounts, The 70 % of promised amount I hear about, and getting a big fat nothing. The truth will be some where in between that.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote