Spreadsheet to track personal finances

HobbyDave

Recycles dryer sheets
So I found an older version of my spreadsheet I used to track finances, put it into Google Docs, and changed a bunch of numbers (don't want to give too much away :)

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p9E-fvXA2f7NlU_SuKUVSMQ&hl=en

Let me know if that link doesn't work for people, I've never publicly shared any of my Google docs before.

You'll notice that the top 15 or so rows have less data. That's because I've been slowly adding fields as I've gone along (and didn't try to back-map them). Sometime in 2006/2007 is where it was last updated and is the most current.

If you know spreadsheets, you'll see what I did. I projected growth rates onto each asset / debt class, and also on my projected retirement needs. Then I put in as much data about contributions/etc as I could easily come up with, and put them into the fields as well. As long as I somewhat regularly update fields in the months to their actual values, I should be able to project where my finances will be at any point in time in the future.

So I enjoy being able to scroll down my SWR column for instance, and see where my SWR will be at different times. Or see when I'm projecting my networth will cross $1,000,000, etc. I can change my projected investment return rates and see what that does to our retirement planning.

FYI, I did put in some funny assumptions here & there, just because it made things easier on me (like assuming 401k limits would go up around 3% per year, at least I think that's in there somewhere).

Anyway, I figured people have asked for this kind of thing before, and thought I'd provide it. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, and let me know if I let out some vital personal finance info that I didn't notice :)

Clicking on your link brings up a request for your email and password. I don't think that's what you intended.

Well, taking a look at that, I think it's asking you to log in with your Google account. I think the requirement for viewing a Google spreadsheet is that you have an account with Google. Someone can try with their Google account (or make one), and let me know if I'm right :)

Well, taking a look at that, I think it's asking you to log in with your Google account. I think the requirement for viewing a Google spreadsheet is that you have an account with Google. Someone can try with their Google account (or make one), and let me know if I'm right :)

It works for me Dave...

Back
Top Bottom