Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Household Single or Combined Monthly USA SS Only Income @70 (No External Pensions)
<$1000 Per Month 6 2.54%
$1001, to $2000 Per Month 6 2.54%
$2001 to $3000 Per Month 15 6.36%
$3001 to $4000 Per Month 50 21.19%
$4001 to $5000 Per Month 51 21.61%
$5001 - $6000 Per Month 66 27.97%
>$6001 Per Month 42 17.80%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #81
Confused about dryer sheets

I am a married 62 year old building contractor. Like many contractors, I have had some very good years financially and some not so good. 2021 was a good year and I would like to retire. But I want to wait until after I submit our taxes to the IRS, so the 2021 earnings are on my SS record. I am curious, if anyone knows,how long it takes SS to update our earnings profile, after we file our taxes? And does this matter, or am I looking at this the wrong way?
Elite59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
Freedomatlaast: SS Income Cap is just that. They stop collecting SS once you've paid in the max for that year. You probably already know this as you got a bump in pay each year when you had maxed out the SS income level / payment max.

If you want confirmation of the max payout, https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-01897

Straight from SS.gov sight. The maximum benefit depends on the age you retire. For example, if you retire at

full retirement age in 2021, your maximum benefit would be $3,148.
However, if you retire at age 62 in 2021, your maximum benefit would be $2,324.
If you retire at age 70 in 2021, your maximum benefit would be $3,895.
Did all those numbers get a recent bump up, due to inflation? (the page says it was last updated in January of 2021.)
Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite59 View Post
I am a married 62 year old building contractor. Like many contractors, I have had some very good years financially and some not so good. 2021 was a good year and I would like to retire. But I want to wait until after I submit our taxes to the IRS, so the 2021 earnings are on my SS record. I am curious, if anyone knows, how long it takes SS to update our earnings profile, after we file our taxes? And does this matter, or am I looking at this the wrong way?
Not an SS expert by any means, but I think what will happen is that if you, for example, retired today and started SS next month, eventually you'd file your 2021 taxes, that would get to your earnings record, and the SSA would at some point in the future give you a lump sum payment to pay you the additional increase you would be owed based on your 2021 earnings.

But to answer your question, others have said it can be as short as a week or two for the information to get passed across.

I wouldn't let that hold me back from claiming SS whenever I thought was best.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
I struggle with some of the initials people use on these threads. Does DW = Divorced Wife?
This may be helpful
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...rum-34884.html
Old 11-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Is amazing that if you have 35 years above the maximum taxable SS income you'll actually receive a living wage just from this one inflation indexed source. Because of that my withdrawal rate will be less than 1% of my invested assets. I never expected SS to pay me so much!
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

It will be lumpy for us, probably 4~5% for a few years, DW gets SS, then 3%, then when I get SS at 70 it will all be BTD spending.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:03 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I am a married 62 year old building contractor. Like many contractors, I have had some very good years financially and some not so good. 2021 was a good year and I would like to retire. But I want to wait until after I submit our taxes to the IRS, so the 2021 earnings are on my SS record. I am curious, if anyone knows, how long it takes SS to update our earnings profile, after we file our taxes? And does this matter, or am I looking at this the wrong way?
Not going to matter all that much. As one of the posters stated, your record will be updated, but when you (and your spouse) take SS will impact your monthly income for life.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ire-69999.html
Old 11-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I'm 66.5 have not taken SS yet. At 70 it will be ~$3,650/mo. My DW took hers at 64 ~$1200/mo. She will exchange it for the spousal benefit, we think. Not sure what that will be since there is a discount from FRA.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
I'm 66.5 have not taken SS yet. At 70 it will be ~$3,650/mo. My DW took hers at 64 ~$1200/mo. She will exchange it for the spousal benefit, we think. Not sure what that will be since there is a discount from FRA.
Probably little difference. What is your PIA, i.e. SS at your FRA?
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Spousal is half other spouses FRA when claimer reaches their own FRA right?
Old 11-24-2021, 10:50 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Spousal is half other spouses FRA when claimer reaches their own FRA right?
Pronoun does not help. Spousal benefit is half of the other spouse's at "other spouse's" PIA at FRA. I suspect "other spousal's" PIA at FRA is likely to be between $2400 to $2700. Spousal benefit is discounted because he/she took his/hers early on own record.
Old 11-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
Pronoun does not help. Spousal benefit is half of the other spouse's at "other spouse's" PIA at FRA. I suspect "other spousal's" PIA at FRA is likely to be between $2400 to $2700. Spousal benefit is discounted because he/she took his/hers early on own record.
OK, So Spouse Currently Gets $1160, she took it at 62. My PIA at my FRA was $2346.1 Almost seems like a wash for DW. I think my SS @ 70 is $3,412

Seems hardly worth the trouble to reclaim for her.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:12 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredHappy View Post
Probably little difference. What is your PIA, i.e. SS at your FRA?
My PIA =$2,793. As for pronouns we are both she/her!
Old 11-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

DW plans to claim @ 63; me @ FRA. About $5000+/month combined.
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:02 PM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Both in our 70's, combined SS is $49,800/yr. No pensions, no debt. Life is good.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
My PIA =$2,793. As for pronouns we are both she/her!
Your spouse should get a small gain when filing for spousal benefits.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #97

Most times, I would rather not hear how we are doing in comparison to others. As long as we're doing fine, that's all I really care about. It's why I stopped reading the threads that start out with "I don't know if I/we can retire on $X", where $X many times would end up being much more than what we have

This thread might have leaned in that direction, which is why I skipped to the bottom to partially answer the question. DW started SS on her own record at 65. It was her choice. Not much discussion took place about whether it would have been more beneficial to have waited.

I am 6 years younger, and half of my FRA would be less than her own record. I am still four years from FRA (66+10). Not sure if I will take it at 65, like DW, or wait until later. A lot can happen in four years. Imagine saying that just two years ago.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Most times, I would rather not hear how we are doing in comparison to others. As long as we're doing fine, that's all I really care about. It's why I stopped reading the threads that start out with "I don't know if I/we can retire on $X", when $X in many cases ends up being much more than what we have

This thread might have leaned in that direction, which is why I skipped to the bottom to partially answer the question. DW started SS on her own record at 65. It was her choice. Not much discussion took place about whether it would have been more beneficial to have waited.

I am 6 years younger, and half of my FRA would be less than her own record. I am still four years from FRA (66+10). Not sure if I will take it at 65, like DW, or wait until later. A lot can happen in four years. Imagine saying that just two years ago.
Indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: png Precedented.PNG (303.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Based on the poll, it looks like most folk fall into the $5-6k slot. Retiring after they have paid into their SS for 30 to 35 years. Not us, we did not work that long. Not that it would have made any difference.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:57 PM   #100

Someone on one of these threads posted a link to a website which calculated the best age for married couples to retire. You had to plug in a few parameters, like "Full retirement amount $" and our ages. Then the site did a calculation which determines which age each person should retire for optimum payout, assuming a normal life span. Does anyone happen to have a link to that site?

Tags
social security