Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Household Single or Combined Monthly USA SS Only Income @70 (No External Pensions)
<$1000 Per Month 6 2.46%
$1001, to $2000 Per Month 7 2.87%
$2001 to $3000 Per Month 15 6.15%
$3001 to $4000 Per Month 53 21.72%
$4001 to $5000 Per Month 52 21.31%
$5001 - $6000 Per Month 67 27.46%
>$6001 Per Month 44 18.03%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite59 View Post
Someone on one of these threads posted a link to a website which calculated the best age for married couples to retire. You had to plug in a few parameters, like "Full retirement amount $" and our ages. Then the site did a calculation which determines which age each person should retire for optimum payout, assuming a normal life span. Does anyone happen to have a link to that site?
Not sure about best age to retire, but this might be the best calculator for determining the best age(s) to start social security. https://opensocialsecurity.com/about
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Someone on one of these threads posted a link to a website which calculated the best age for married couples to retire. You had to plug in a few parameters, like "Full retirement amount $" and our ages. Then the site did a calculation which determines which age each person should retire for optimum payout, assuming a normal life span. Does anyone happen to have a link to that site?
You may be referring to this for social security benefits. I don't think there is a site for when to retire. I am retired and I am not drawing on SS: Open Social Security: Free, Open-Source Social Security Calculator
RetiredHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:43 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Neither my wife nor I have claimed SS yet. If we were to both wait until we're 70, and assuming we don't make another dime of earned income between now and then, the combined monthly amount would be $6,635. She'll probably wait until 70, but I think I'll claim at 65-66 since her benefit will be a little higher than mine and she'll probably outlive me.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:56 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am a married 62 year old building contractor. Like many contractors, I have had some very good years financially and some not so good. 2021 was a good year and I would like to retire. But I want to wait until after I submit our taxes to the IRS, so the 2021 earnings are on my SS record. I am curious, if anyone knows,how long it takes SS to update our earnings profile, after we file our taxes? And does this matter, or am I looking at this the wrong way?
In our experience with DW's self employment income that last 2 years, after we filed our taxes in March an adjustment was made in October, retroactive to the beginning of the year.

This matters much less than deciding at what age to take SS.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:45 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am a married 62 year old building contractor. Like many contractors, I have had some very good years financially and some not so good. 2021 was a good year and I would like to retire. But I want to wait until after I submit our taxes to the IRS, so the 2021 earnings are on my SS record. I am curious, if anyone knows,how long it takes SS to update our earnings profile, after we file our taxes? And does this matter, or am I looking at this the wrong way?
You might be looking at it the wrong way.

Unless you need SS to live, if you are in good health you may be better to wait before starting SS... so how quickly they credit your SS record for your 2021 SE taxes becomes a moot point.

Visit opensocialsecurity.com and input your information to look at the impact of various claiming strategies... be sure to check the little check box near the top of the page to change the inputs for mortality table and discount rate. For a discount rate I suggest the expected real return on assets that you would use if you delay claiming SS rather than the yield on 20-year TIPS suggested by the author... and remember that the real return is what you expect to earn less the inflation rate.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:16 PM   #106
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I believe the initial question was single or couple. So a couple both maxing out at 70 would get $7790 per month, wouldn't they?
And I believe all those amounts will go up for 2022, (inflation adjustment) right?
Elite59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I will each get about $3800 per month. Mine will start in two years, hers in 3.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
social security