SS and Medicare question

Medicare supplement vs Medicare Advantage: I've been researching this subject a little and decided to make a phone call today to Extend Health. They are pretty much in the know about Medicare plans and was highlighted in post #2 of this thread. A few years ago I switched to a Medicare Advantage plan and now I can't switch back because of "preexisting conditions". I thought this was going to go away with Obamacare but that may not be until 2014. I can go back to Medicare any time but Extend Health said no body would touch me with a supplemental plan. I'm not worried about it yet but I'd consider switching back seeing what is going on with the Advantage plans.

Last edited:
The VA information might prove useful to servicemen at or nearing retirement age that had "boots on the ground" in Vietnam. Those vets are given access thru Priority Group 6 without means testing. Some vets that meet this guideline aren't aware of this option. It's nice to share information like this, as healthcare costs seem to be an issue with almost everyone.

Yes, this is very important for eligible folks to know. DH had the honor of spending time in areas associated with Agent Orange which gave him access through Priority Group 6. I only learned about it by doing a lot of reading. A lot of those eligible will be getting close to retirement but they can sign up any time.

Yes, this is very important for eligible folks to know. DH had the honor of spending time in areas associated with Agent Orange which gave him access through Priority Group 6. I only learned about it by doing a lot of reading. A lot of those eligible will be getting close to retirement but they can sign up any time.

Do Vietnam veterans that have an AO disability need to sign up?

Do Vietnam veterans that have an AO disability need to sign up?
Yes...

VA’s Guide on Agent Orange Claims (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

Just because you served in SEA and had AO exposure (everybody who had "boots on the ground" did so) does not mean you are eligible for automatic VA rating/care at level 3, but level 6 (a non-disability rating). Be aware that over the years, the VA has cut the lower level for services so while level 6 may have some coverage, it is subject to change. Here's the rating list:

Enrollment Priority Groups (View All) (VA Health Care Eligibility & Enrollment)

You also need to claim a disability, based upon the link I posted and the following list of medical conditions:

Agent Orange: Diseases Related to Agent Orange Exposure - Public Health

Last edited:
Yes...

VA’s Guide on Agent Orange Claims (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

Just because you served in SEA and had AO exposure (everybody who had "boots on the ground" did so) does not mean you are eligible for automatic VA rating/care at level 3, but level 6 (a non-disability rating). Be aware that over the years, the VA has cut the lower level for services so while level 6 may have some coverage, it is subject to change. Here's the rating list:

Enrollment Priority Groups (View All) (VA Health Care Eligibility & Enrollment)

You also need to claim a disability, based upon the link I posted and the following list of medical conditions:

Agent Orange: Diseases Related to Agent Orange Exposure - Public Health

So if someone is already getting VA disability for a AO disability, are they automatically in the system at level 3 or do they need to apply independently of the VA disability program? (Sorry, I asked the question ambiguously before.)

So if someone is already getting VA disability for a AO disability, are they automatically in the system at level 3 or do they need to apply independently of the VA disability program?
They are in the system (want to see my VA ID card? :D )...

When I researched this subject in earlier years, Medicare Advantage plans were by far more economical than Supplemental insurance. There are a lot of $0 Medicare Advantage plans (at least here in midwest) and their copay's, out-of-pocket maximums, and included Rx prices seem reasonable. I don't recall if I could come up with any combination of potential health problems where going with one of Supplemental plans was better than some of these Advantage plans.

So, to answer original question, $0 on top of the standard (2011 part B) ~$115 monthly premium deduction from SS.

Last edited:
...provided your doctor is a member of the Advantage plan.

The calculator on the medicare website would also indicate otherwise, too.

I can very much understand why the low, low cost policies are attractive and can't say I blame a person for going with them. They offer an immediate savings, whereas the added expenses are only incurred IF you use the policy (and most folks probably feel that is a fair deal).

It's tough and complicated, to say the least.

While medicare may provide subscribers with protection (in some cases excessive protection) from excessive billing practices, it appears bent on penalizing many who made sacrifices during their working lifetime in order to put together adequate resources for a decent financially independent retirement.

Back
Top Bottom