Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2021, 01:00 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I don't see where anyone in this thread has suggested Congress would cut all SS recipients 35%. That isn't in any of the current fix proposals, and that is not what they did during the last crisis. That is a different position than posters saying Congress would never make any cuts to SS, or make any cuts to current recipients, which is not supported by historical facts.
I didn't suggest CONGRESS would cut by 35% - just that they would NOT allow the depleted SS fund to make that cut. (I forget the exact number but 35% is close IIRC.) Of course, I have no special insight - just 74 years of watching congress buy votes with our money.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2021, 05:04 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 32,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
.... I forget the exact number but 35% is close IIRC. ...
From 2021 Trustees Report:

Quote:
... The Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund, which pays retirement and survivors benefits, will be able to pay scheduled benefits on a timely basis until 2033, one year earlier than reported last year. At that time, the fund's reserves will become depleted and continuing tax income will be sufficient to pay 76 percent of scheduled benefits. ...
So 24% haircut, not 35%.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:16 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Markola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 3,274
Life expectancy dropped (is dropping?) in the U.S. Presumably, that grim fact will show up in future data about SS projections.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...demic-n1272206
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:17 AM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,067
I think there is another political reality rumbling around here:

Broadly speaking, our nation isn't terribly good at dealing with an issue until its hitting us square in the face with actual short term impacts.

That's a by-product of many things but I would argue generally true.

In that case, I doubt we will see substantive action on this until 2028 (inside one election cycle) or maybe even 2030. Then the national mind will focus.

Also broadly true is that once we get the national mind focused, we do tend to get things sorted out.

Its not pretty and its far from perfect...but it does seem to work.
__________________
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity.
Closet_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:35 AM   #145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 4,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Life expectancy dropped (is dropping?) in the U.S. Presumably, that grim fact will show up in future data about SS projections.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...demic-n1272206
I was wondering about this. If life expectancy drops shouldn't that eventually start reducing SS payments? To offset this I guess there may be more disability claims from people who caught the virus and cannot work.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I was wondering about this. If life expectancy drops shouldn't that eventually start reducing SS payments? To offset this I guess there may be more disability claims from people who caught the virus and cannot work.
I think it may be awhile before it shakes out how the pandemic impacts things.
- Additional people may be on disability
- How many took early retirement that otherwise might have worked to FRA?
- How many close to retirement seeing record gains will stay in the labor force or retire early w/ or w/o SS.
- CDC estimates at least 550k excess deaths and given the stats of COVID you have to assume a vast majority of those were already on SS.
- will we get back to full labor participation? I know lots of people still choosing to home school, not sure if/when they will re-join the labor force.

So lots of factors including likely changes to peoples decisions will change the total $$ spent in the upcoming years, not sure any of that can truly be modeled at this point.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,938
The ex-spouse who was married for 10 years or more having the right to receive half of the SS of the ex-spouse seems strange to me while the benefit of someone who's been married for eternity and is still married is not more. My DH who is Canadian and has never lived in the US gets the same benefit, which again is strange. Even if you're married to someone American for a very short time, you get the same benefit, which is strange yet again.

Maybe the government will cut SS in some of those areas...
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:21 AM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
From 2021 Trustees Report:



So 24% haircut, not 35%.
Thanks. My math is okay, but my memory - not so much.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I think it may be awhile before it shakes out how the pandemic impacts things.
- Additional people may be on disability
- How many took early retirement that otherwise might have worked to FRA?
- How many close to retirement seeing record gains will stay in the labor force or retire early w/ or w/o SS.
- CDC estimates at least 550k excess deaths and given the stats of COVID you have to assume a vast majority of those were already on SS.
- will we get back to full labor participation? I know lots of people still choosing to home school, not sure if/when they will re-join the labor force.

So lots of factors including likely changes to peoples decisions will change the total $$ spent in the upcoming years, not sure any of that can truly be modeled at this point.
While pandemic deaths are the big factor right now, other causes of death are also up. Drug overdose deaths have been on the rise for quite some time. IIRC the numbers are on the oder of 70K or more/year. That's astounding to me but YMMV.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Western NC
Posts: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
I think there is another political reality rumbling around here:

Broadly speaking, our nation isn't terribly good at dealing with an issue until its hitting us square in the face with actual short term impacts.

That's a by-product of many things but I would argue generally true.

In that case, I doubt we will see substantive action on this until 2028 (inside one election cycle) or maybe even 2030. Then the national mind will focus.

Also broadly true is that once we get the national mind focused, we do tend to get things sorted out.

Its not pretty and its far from perfect...but it does seem to work.
+1000

IMHO they'll remove the wage cap first.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
+1000

IMHO they'll remove the wage cap first.
Yeah, that's probably an easy one. Wild guess is that doing so will not make a big difference. I could be wrong, so YMMV.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:18 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets
lem1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 280
Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I seem to remember OpenSS suggesting taking SS at 68 and a few months for me if there will be a reduction in benefits. I will likely be 68 and even 70 before the SS situation is resolved. Have people changed their Take Date based on this new information?
__________________
"Retirement isnít really a switch you flip at a certain age anymore," the Schwab report states. "Itís a financial state that allows for the flexibility to make work optional."
lem1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #153
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tadpole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,346
It strikes me that the model for reductions (if any) will follow the same general bend point, etc. method that benefits currently follow. Therefore, including those already collecting, the 24% will be spread from 0% on the lower benefit amounts to whatever it takes to get the equivalent of 24% across the board reductions.

I've watched this "need to fix it now" go on for a little under 20 years and I am sure it was going on before I started watching. The pull and tug between fixing SS and ending SS, including privatization schemes, just keeps on making it harder.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:59 AM   #154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Florida's First Coast
Posts: 6,104
What may happen is that "they" may change the rules for those younger than .......... say 55. And those folks may have to deal with reductions, if any. Just a thought as nothing has been set in stone and probably will not be in my lifetime.
__________________
"Never Argue With a Fool, Onlookers May Not Be Able To Tell the Difference." - Mark Twain
ShokWaveRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #155
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
It strikes me that the model for reductions (if any) will follow the same general bend point, etc. method that benefits currently follow. Therefore, including those already collecting, the 24% will be spread from 0% on the lower benefit amounts to whatever it takes to get the equivalent of 24% across the board reductions.

I've watched this "need to fix it now" go on for a little under 20 years and I am sure it was going on before I started watching. The pull and tug between fixing SS and ending SS, including privatization schemes, just keeps on making it harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
What may happen is that "they" may change the rules for those younger than .......... say 55. And those folks may have to deal with reductions, if any. Just a thought as nothing has been set in stone and probably will not be in my lifetime.
I am more in line with what ShokWaveRider suggests. Here is why. For those already receiving a "check" (yeah, I know, it's a direct deposit) it will be 3rd-rail time to suddenly see a big (or even small) drop in benefits. Remember the big brouhaha that surrounded the increases in monthly charges for Medicare which come out of SSA payments? That was only a few dollars and (I don't recall how it was resolved) but there was talk of grandfathering in payments instead of making people pay for the extra cost of Medicare. (I could be wrong on this, I've slept a few times since the issue arose a few years back.) So imagine suddenly someone's SSA payment will be cut by 24% (or in Tadpole's scenario, even more than 24% for "rich" old people.)

I still recall my in-laws "washing their hands" of (IIRC) Reagan because something in the press suggested he was going to cut SSA. That was it. They were "done" with him. They would have voted for Bernie Sanders had he been a candidate at the time.

No idea how it will all turn out, but major cuts to those already receiving benefits seem unlikely. Old folks vote - Even "rich" old folks vote - and they all vote their pocket books. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #156
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 14,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
+1000

IMHO they'll remove the wage cap first.
And increase the percent of SS taxed for high income people.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #157
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 14,842
Here's one person's view on the future fixes of SS:

https://www.creators.com/read/your-s...l-not-go-broke

Quote:
My emails clearly indicate that news has many of my readers saying, "Oh my God, what do we do now?" But frankly, it's got me saying, "Ho-hum. Been there, done that!" Without trying to be too flippant, let me explain.
Quote:
Listed below are eight commonly mentioned reforms. Four involve cutting benefits and four deal with raising revenues. Next to each is a number expressed as a percentage. The number indicates the portion of Social Security's long-range deficit that would be eliminated if the proposal became law. Also listed is a brief argument for and against each proposal.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:44 AM   #158
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon
Posts: 1,979
I have already been on SS for almost fourteen years. I'm not going to worry about it.
__________________
Dreams Worth Dreaming are Dreams Worth Planning For. I Spent a Career Planning for Early Retirement.
RetireeRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: The Shire
Posts: 54
Laughable. Wonít happen: itís political suicide.
TheHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealing with Insolvent Estate ceciledian Other topics 19 07-21-2019 08:52 PM
Hi all! The big change could happen in 2 years??! infoseeker Hi, I am... 3 02-11-2011 02:43 AM
Could I semi FIRE in 5 years? torres9 Hi, I am... 16 04-11-2008 08:28 AM
If I could go back 20 years this is what I'd do different................ ferco Other topics 63 01-28-2007 12:47 PM
If I could go back 20 years this is what I'd do the same................ FI@35 Other topics 4 01-11-2007 11:09 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.