Join Early Retirement Today

SS dependent question
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

SS dependent question

I have a daughter that became handicapped at 19 and is on SS. Because she never worked she gets only a couple hundred per month. I understand that when I start taking SS her's will go up substantially. So here's my question. If she gets married will she then drop back off my SS and go back to $200/ month?
jeffmete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am trying to understand what type of social security she is receiving. If she has never worked, she is not eligible on her own social security record. She is not receiving on your record. Whose social security record is she receiving on?

There is a program called Supplemental Security Income that is for the disabled. It is a needs based program and one does not have to have worked and paid into it. The base amount for SSI is $721.00 per month. Income, resources and living arrangements affect the amount. Is this what she is receiving? Is her amount only $200.00 per month due to other income or living arrangements?

I will try to help answer your question, but I must know what she is receiving, either SSA or SSI, so that I don't give you the wrong answer.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not a social security expert, but my understanding is if your daughter is over 19 she is an adult, and her social security payment is not tied to yours. Under 18 the family income is considered and could cause the child to not qualify. You need to contact social security to find out why her payment is so low. Is she a student?
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Dreamer, we have her on both SS and SSI. The SSI part is needs based, and since she lives at home and works part time, it's pretty minimal also. I may have the terminology wrong, but she gets two checks per month, one from SS and one from SSI. The hospital had a lady that helped get this going. It was a pretty stressful time and I never quite understood everything.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmete View Post
I have a daughter that became handicapped at 19 and is on SS. Because she never worked she gets only a couple hundred per month. I understand that when I start taking SS her's will go up substantially. So here's my question. If she gets married will she then drop back off my SS and go back to $200/ month?
I suggest contacting your local Social Security office and discuss this. The rules for young disabled adults are esoteric to say the least. You can look here on your own: Social Security Handbook

This the social security handbook that spells out the rules for benefit determination.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

I am assuming that she had worked enough on her own social security record to receive social security disability on her own record. If she married she would continue receiving this small amount. You stated that she is also receiving SSI. If she married, she might continue receiving this depending on her spouse's income and resources and their living arrangement.

If she goes on your social security record as a disabled adult child, then she would still receive the small amount on her own record and the higher amount due off of your record. If she married, then most likely she would stop receiving off of your record and only receive off of her own record. It is possible that she might continue receiving off of your record, depending on if the person that she is marrying is receiving certain types of social security benefits. https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0300203035 Please look at 3. Marriage here. Most likely she would stop on your record and only receive on her own record.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had a busy weekend with my 5 yr old granddaughter. Good luck with everything and it sounds like your daughter is getting her life back together. Hope all goes well.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Dreamer,
Thanks. I do plan on going into SS office and asking.