Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

SS File and Suspend scenario for us
Old 09-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SS File and Suspend scenario for us

I am 57 now. I am 5 & 1/2 years older than DW. My FRA is 66 yr 4 month; DW's FRA is 67. We both worked in similar IT jobs and worked exactly the same # of years so far, so our benefits would be similar if we both ER next year.

We both plan to file at 70 to receive reduced benefits due to ER.

I am trying to see if we could benefit from doing File and Suspend:
The Spousal Benefit Option for Social Security Benefits – Getting Your Financial Ducks In A Row

Is this below a doable scenario?

1. When I am 66 yr and 4 month, I file and Suspend.
2. A year later, when DW is 62, she files for spousal benefit and receives 1/2 of my benefit amount.
3. When I am 70, I file again and receive my benefit.
4. When DW is 70, she files for her own benefit.

The extra benefit we would be receiving is the spousal benefit that DW will receive for about 8 years.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #2

Your wife's benefit at 62 and 70 will be reduced significantly because she began taking benefits based on your record prior to her FRA, right?

But maybe you knew that already. Or maybe I'm mistaken.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

What Buckeye said.

I think if your wife waited until her FRA, she could claim spousal at that time with no reduction in her benefit, which could then grow until she's 70.
sunsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Your wife's benefit at 62 and 70 will be reduced significantly because she began taking benefits based on your record prior to her FRA, right?

But maybe you knew that already. Or maybe I'm mistaken.
That's how I remember it as well. If she starts spousal at FRA then she can take her normal age 70 benefit later. If she starts spousal at 62 she has permanently reduced her benefits.

I'm in a very similar situation. DW should get spousal at ages 67, 68, 69, and then normal benefits at 70.

Depending on your actual life expectancies, you could also consider your wife claiming at 62 and you at 70. The lower benefit is dropped with the first spouse to pass, the higher benefit remains as long as either of you lives. Kind of takes the middle road in the early/late debate.

I'm pretty sure it was T Rowe Price that had a decent SS claiming calculator. Or search for it on some of the threads here.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Bedrock Capital Management has an online tool (SSAnalyze!) which calculates an optimized claiming strategy (registration required).
MildlyEccentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Your wife cannot file at 62 for just a spousal benefit. Prior to FRA, if you file for a spousal benefit, you will be deemed to have filed for your own retirement benefit as well (provided that you are eligible for a retirement benefit).

CFR 404.623(b) is where this rule comes from.
Mike Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm. Thanks for reminding me of this. I just checked out one of the calculators. I may be able to collect at 66 from my ex wife's SS account, while delaying my SS to 70. That would be an extra four years of SS for me!

My ex can't collect on my account since she remarried. Poor thing.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Hmmm. Thanks for reminding me of this. I just checked out one of the calculators. I may be able to collect at 66 from my ex wife's SS account, while delaying my SS to 70. That would be an extra four years of SS for me!

My ex can't collect on my account since she remarried. Poor thing.
And I don't believe you can collect from you ex's as you remarried as well.