SS File and Suspend to End?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day, I would reach my SS limit sometime around early March. Despite my normal aversion to taxes, I always thought it was unfair and never understood the rationale, but hey, an extra few bucks a week, so.....

I would not have minded paying the tax throughout the year. At the time it was small potatoes for me and if it helped, well....

I have 17 years where I hit the cap. I didn't want 1 extra penny to go from my income into this crazy savings plan. I get WEPed and I guess my wife with get the GPO. I quit at 50 because I couldn't stand giving then 39.6% + 1.45%*2 + 0.9% on the high end. Add 12.4% on top of that would be a no brainer for quitting. I'll be taxed at 85% if I got anything out and the returns are pathetic. If I had gotten into the second bend point things would look even more bleak.

This passed last night and goes to the president for signing.

My objection with expanding SS tax to investors as you suggest is that it would then violate the historical notion that SS is a ring fenced system.
I don't like the idea of "ring-fenced", so I have no problem with supporting SS with taxes on all types of income.

In the 1930s, Francis Townsend promoted an idea of $50/week for every retiree, funded by a national 2% sales tax. I think that was a decent idea.

In today's world, maybe $1,000/month, funded by general revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom