Join Early Retirement Today

SS hourly work limit for early retirement question
Old 12-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

SS hourly work limit for early retirement question

I have twice written to SSA for an answer to what is a straightforward question and I have only received slightly related ""cut and pasted" material that does not provide an answer.

My question regards the limitation on hours worked for the self employed when collecting SS benefits early. What I read seems to say that 45 hours per month is the maximum allowed without forfeiting benefits for that month.

My question was - does this limitation apply to contractors that work for an hourly wage set by the company they contract with. In other words, does it apply to contractors who are essentially just "hourly employees without benefits."

Anyone in this situation? Or alternatively, any idea how to get an actual response from SSA? Should I visit an office?

Thanks for any info,

Ed
theneweddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

This article may help
How work affects Social Security retirement payments
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks - I've gone over most of SSA's site without a specific answer to this question.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never heard of any limit on hours, the only limitations that I have seen are on earnings like in the link that Moemg provided.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #5

The limits do exist - it was even asked when I filled out my online application.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SSA Handbook § 1814 discusses an annual earnings report. SSA Handbook § 1826 discusses how to determine the number of hours a retirement beneficiary works. SSA Handbook § 1822 discusses another required report for expected earnings. Here is the reporting form for work hours while receiving benefits: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-821.pdf.

I hope some of this helps you.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early retirement, social security