Join Early Retirement Today

Stable Value Funds
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stable Value Funds

I have a stable value fund that is earning 3.3% right now. Does anybody have any thoughts on using this as a core investment for the fixed income space at this time considering the current interest rate environment? My other bond funds are VBTLX and DODIX.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

I'm very curious about this as well, since it sounds like a SV fund simply wouldn't add up -- it's based on bonds, but you are also buying an insurance wrap. Unless the insurance is seriously mispriced, the expected returns have to be lower than a bond fund (because of the insurance drag). I admit that I don't know very much about this product and would be very happy if someone could explain the pros/cons in more detail.

This link from vanguard provides some more information:

https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonin...alue_Funds.pdf

It seems like the key factors to consider are the extra expense ratio for the insurance, viability of the insurer, and the liquidity restrictions.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I'm very curious about this as well, since it sounds like a SV fund simply wouldn't add up -- it's based on bonds, but you are also buying an insurance wrap. Unless the insurance is seriously mispriced, the expected returns have to be lower than a bond fund (because of the insurance drag). I admit that I don't know very much about this product and would be very happy if someone could explain the pros/cons in more detail.

This link from vanguard provides some more information:

https://pressroom.vanguard.com/nonin...alue_Funds.pdf

It seems like the key factors to consider are the extra expense ratio for the insurance, viability of the insurer, and the liquidity restrictions.
The blended fixed option I am in has no expense ratio.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #4

I have done this for many years. My SVF yield is 3.1 or 3.2% and there's never been a nav decrease since I have tracked it in 13 years. The nav may increase more or less quickly but it has never dropped. It's an excellent substitute for the bond funds in my 401k and even now that I have most of the 401k at Vanguard I still keep the SVF.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
I have a stable value fund that is earning 3.3% right now. Does anybody have any thoughts on using this as a core investment for the fixed income space at this time considering the current interest rate environment? My other bond funds are VBTLX and DODIX.
Are the expenses borne by a government entity? Otherwise, how can a fund have no expenses? Can anyone go out and buy this fund? What is its symbol?

Ha
Old 06-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Are the expenses borne by a government entity? Otherwise, how can a fund have no expenses? Can anyone go out and buy this fund? What is its symbol?

Ha
It is through Nationwide from my former employer the City of Chicago. It is in a 457 offered to city employees. It doesn't have a symbol and is just called, "Chicago Blended Fixed Account."
Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Many times, the "Stable Value Fund" is actually a short-term loan to the parent (or another) insurance company. This typically will pay short-term rates slightly higher than a money market fund...although these days, they can be a LOT higher yielding than a MM fund.

However, if it is the type that's a 'loan' to the insurance company, then it's only backed by the claims paying ability of the insurer. So while the yield is generous for a liquid, stable value fund - there is some credit risk involved.

As such, it's more like a short-term bond fund...but since Stable Value Funds are set up to achieve a stable value (i.e. a slow, steady increase in share value, like a MM fund that reinvests dividends) rather than fluctuate in NAV based on underlying holdings, AND because it doesn't really have an expense ratio (because it's simply like a savings account with interest paid by the insurance company), they are often thought of as MM funds.

The craptastic 401(k) I have with my employer is managed by Transamerica Retirement Solutions, and their SVF is called the Transamerica Stable Value Advantage Account.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #8

Attached the prospectus this time for my SVF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fund1375.pdf (79.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Stable value funds are an ideal choice for fixed income allocations at this part of the cycle. If I had access to one I would have all my fixed income exposure there.

Sorry, Ha, qualified plans only for these things.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

Believe it or not at one point these things were returning around 12%. Although that was in 1981 when I first started with my employer and everybody that was in this 457 from Nationwide was putting their money there although there was various funds to choose from. Now they have been fluctuating between 3 and 4%.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
gone traveling

The stable value fund in my prior employers 401K plan is a TRP Stable Value fund and its past one year performance was 2.38%. I suppose they are not taking on as much risk as some other SV funds.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

While my 401k w/ Megacorp offer extrememly low cost mutual funds, VG Instl class, PTTRX Instl Class C, etc the SV fund is pretty weak. The Fidelity MPII fund they use currently only has a 1.35% yield. However over the years it has reacted quickly up and down with rates and there never have been any restrictions on redemptions. For this reason I'm holding about 30% of my bond holdings in this option.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone, my understanding of this is quite a bit better now.

Ha
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #14

I think I made up my mind. Seeing that DODIX is yielding 3.3 and has an e/r of .43 I am better off in the stable value earning 3.3 without the expense.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #15

Quote:
I think I made up my mind. Seeing that DODIX is yielding 3.3 and has an e/r of .43 I am better off in the stable value earning 3.3 without the expense.
Two different kettles of fish. What index is the SV fund tracking? I think they're all pretty different. Can't really compare ER's for those two. And surely the SV has an expense.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Two different kettles of fish. What index is the SV fund tracking? I think they're all pretty different. Can't really compare ER's for those two. And surely the SV has an expense.

It does not work that way. SV fund is roughly equivalent to a money market fund.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #17

Well, I guess the 3.3 yield is net of fees.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely, I would use it as my core fixed income investment. Better yield than intermediate corporate bonds and almost no interest rate risk. I wish I had a stable value fund available to me.

Like Brewer said it is essentially a 3.3% money market fund.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski

Absolutely, I would use it as my core fixed income investment. Better yield than intermediate corporate bonds and almost no interest rate risk. I wish I had a stable value fund available to me.

Like Brewer said it is essentially a 3.3% money market fund.
Is it possible to get the Vanguard one for one's IRA? I don't see a ticker anywhere

Thanks
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I don't think you can get it unless your employer or former employer has it in their plan. Not available to the general public to the best of my knowledge.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote