Join Early Retirement Today

StarKist Class Action Payment
Old 09-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

StarKist Class Action Payment

Got this email last week from PAYPAL -

KCC Class Action Services, LLC has sent you $2.38 USD.
This amount represents your total payment in the Hendricks v. StarKist Co. Settlement. This payment is the Settlement Benefit to which you are entitled for the eligible claim in accordance with the settlement that has been approved by the Court.

I didn't even remember this claim until the payment showed up. I don't know how long ago this was filed but it's nice to know that eventually some money showed up. We don't eat a lot of tuna and I'm not attached to any brand (although I do like the one at Aldi) so I don't know how damaged I was by whatever this lawsuit was about!

I'm going to go lookup Hendricks v. StarKist and see what it was all about. Next I will research how to invest my $2.38.

Anybody else get the cash from this?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

Never heard of this lawsuit. Sorry, Charlie

Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

I never heard of this one. I remember applying for class action against Visa or Mastercard in regard to foreign transaction fees. Never heard another word. That was years ago.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

Received mine in the mail yesterday $5.03 coupon good on Starkist purchase. Works for me.
njhowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Class action lawsuits make lawyers rich and shareholders poorer, I can’t imagine why people participate.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
Administrator

Class action lawsuits are the only legal remedy available to stop some organizations from engaging in behavior that negatively affects others.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Class action lawsuits make lawyers rich and shareholders poorer, I can’t imagine why people participate.
I live in Michigan. There was some class action suit here recently about magazines selling subscriber's names.

This summer I received 2 checks, several weeks apart...one was for $98 and some change and the other was for $87 and some change.

When I went to the bank to cash the first check, I walked up to the teller window and proceeded to sign the check. The teller said, "I'll bet that check is for $98.xx". I picked up the check and looked at it, trying to figure out how the teller knew the exact amount. Turns out, tons of people had come in that day with their identical class action checks, too.

I don't have any current magazine subscriptions, and never did have more than one or two, so this settlement was HUGE, imho.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Class action lawsuits are the only legal remedy available to stop some organizations from engaging in behavior that negatively affects others.
+1
Old 09-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #9

I got about $600 back from a stock related class action suit once. Typically though I get just a few bucks or nothing at all.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I never heard of this one. I remember applying for class action against Visa or Mastercard in regard to foreign transaction fees. Never heard another word. That was years ago.
Yeah, that was many years ago. I did receive a pretty substantial settlement check from that one but it was almost three (?) years after I joined the suit.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #11
Administrator

The proper measure is not the absolute dollars you received, but how it compared to any individual damages you suffered. If you suffered only $1.00 damages, you have more than been made whole. I brought a class action suit several years back regarding price fixing in e-books, and every individual who was harmed received almost three times their actual damages. It could have been as little as about $9.00, but some of the payments to consumers were for hundreds of dollars.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #12

The largest settlement we ever got was from the High-Tech Employee Antitrust Litigation, which paid out four figure amounts in a couple of different years. Some of it was on W-2s, some on 1099s, so taxes were really a pain.

It's impossible to say if we were damaged by the behavior of the companies involved though. If their actions actually suppressed the salaries of their employees in our area, then our damage was far greater than the settlement amount. But on the other hand, if the only thing they did was prevent us from getting jobs at the Silicon Valley offices of the other defendants, then we had no damage at all because we never had a desire to work at any of them. We'll never know, but we did accept the money.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
I'd presume that the costs are eventually passed on to consumers. Even if by some miracle not one person (other than the original filer) participated, the lawyers would still take their fees and the lawsuits would still continue to be filed.

I won't participate unless I'm fairly certain I bought the applicable product/service. I didn't participate in the StarKist class action. My smallest check was for 10 cents. My largest check was for over $600 for a TCPA violation. I got a 1099 for that one.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #14

I used to think that only the lawyers profited but I've come to accept a class action suit is the type of enforcement that should discourage other companies from similar wrongdoing. Over time I benefit more from that than the $1.98 check.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+++
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Next I will research how to invest my $2.38
Tuna salad futures.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
++++

Or as my Dad used to say, hit 'em where it hurts. In the pocketbook.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Haven't received nor heard about this settlement, but I have consumed enough Tuna to fill several thermometers with mercury! (Hopefully not)
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I once lost over $19,000 on stocks back in the World Com days. The SEC sued Smith Barney for fictitious stock ratings (everything was Strong Buy). I ended up getting the full $19,000 back as part of the fine Smith Barney had to pay the SEC. Seems the head "analyst" was giving strong buys on a few communications stocks in order to get his kid into a elite day care in NYC. No, I'm not making this up.

This was not a class action lawsuit. Had it been, I probably would have received $1.90 instead of $19,000.
PatrickA5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Something is fishy...
Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Something is fishy...

$5.03 settlement coupon for more tuna from a claim filed years ago. I think the settlement is a little fishy...

troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote