Start Social Security to buy a new car or cash in equities

davidfin

Recycles dryer sheets
Just reached FRA and have been planning to defer claiming SS benefit for a few years.

I’ve reached the point where I need to replace a 10 year old car. Three options. 1. Take out a loan. 2. Cash in some stocks and pay the tax hit. 3. Begin claiming SS which will more than cover the cost of the car in a couple of years.

Only Fed taxes on SS as my state does not tax SS. Another benefit is claiming now reduces draw on other assets. A big draw back is giving up the 8% guarantee increase in SS. I’ll need to be vigilant to remain under the Medicare IRMAA.

Which option seems best?

Keep delaying SS until age 70.
Sell some equities from some combination of:
1) your tax-deferred account
2) your taxable account
3) your Roth IRA

Do some tax analysis ahead of time to figure where to draw the money from so you don't trigger IRMAA in two years...

There may be no tax hit on sale of stocks depending on your tax situation. For example, if you are single and had $30k of SS and sold stocks to buy the car and had $20k of long-term capital gains your federal tax bill would be a whopping $1,337. If your sale doesn't generate as much gains your tax might be zero.

Check out https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator

Starting SS early to buy a car seems like a poor idea to me.

Last edited:
Yeah, I can think of many reasons to start SS early but a car isn't one of them.

Your issue might be that Class C RV you just bought.

Keep running the car if it's roadworthy. Cut back a little on your spending. Save that toward a new car. It's best to spread out expensive purchases and not do them all at once.

I see you posted in December that you planned on taking SS in 21, so apparently you haven't made a firm decision on that. You mentioned SS will take you to 65X annual expenses, it doesn't really matter much what you do.

Last edited:
I would choose the options in the following order:
- If you can get financing with a very low interest rate, say below 3%, take the loan and sell equities gradually to pay the car payment. This will enable you to keep most of your funds invested and your tax bill low.
- If the financing is higher rate debt, pull funds from the portfolio to pay for the car and try to pull with lower capital gains if possible.
- I would only start SS early as a very last resort.

With what is going on in the car business right now, like chip and car shortage, cars selling above MSRP, low inventories, etc., it may be a good time to invest some TLC into your 10 year old car and kick this new car can down the road 2-4 years.

Last edited:
^ What latexman said.

Best to avoid buying a new or used car until supplies and prices return to reality.

Last edited:
Good point.... I'm not sure that it will take 2-4 years for things to stabilize, but probably 6 months or so.

I think I was subconsciously trying to get the OP to 70 y.o. No idea what it'll take to prolong the life of his old car, but it'll probably take several years, not months, for that investment to pay out. Yeah, hopefully the current car mess will be over by 2022.

Daughter just wrecked her car and it was near the point it could be totalled. Normally, I'd push to total it, kick in a few $1k, and get a car a few years newer, less miles, etc. But, with the current car market, I had it repaired, because up to that point it was a good little car.

Last edited:
With what is going on in the car business right now, like chip and car shortage, cars selling above MSRP, low inventories,

Now some USED cars are selling for more than their original NEW MSRP from a couple of years ago. You'd be crazy to buy a newer car now if you don't have to. The auto makers thought the recession would last longer and cut their chip orders last year just as the tech industry and demand for chips was going up coupled with cut supply. I'm guessing by this time next year, things get back to "normal", just need to wait it out if you can.

Take care of your car a couple more years as others have said. Most modern cars last far longer than 10 years. When the time comes, cash out equities to buy the car. You could plan on taking out a car loan, then pay it off early over a period of a year, spread into two calendar years, allowing you to split the sale of equities over two tax years, and still paying minimal in interest with an early payoff.

Trying to buy a new care this year could cost you far more than you would save in taxes or the slight increase in Medicare part B premiums. Sell the equities slowly to build up your cash so you can buy the car with cash in a couple of years when the prices normalize.

With what is going on in the car business right now, like chip and car shortage, cars selling above MSRP, low inventories, etc., it may be a good time to invest some TLC into your 10 year old car and kick this new car can down the road 2-4 years.

In 2019, I bought my Rav4 in a hurry and could not negotiate the 'best' deal. Still I got a discount off of list price. Today, the same dealer is adding about $3000 in 'additional dealer markup'. Ugh! That is above the usual dealer 'packs like $500 for thin strips of plastic on the door edges to prevent nicks.

All this dealer nonsense makes me more convinced than ever that as soon as my included 'free' 5000 mile services are done, I will take the vehicle to my usual local mechanic.

Note: The average car in the US is now 12 years old. So, the OP's car is barely into middle age. If it runs OK and meets ones need, I would hold on until the market becomes more normal.

Just reached FRA and have been planning to defer claiming SS benefit for a few years.

I’ve reached the point where I need to replace a 10 year old car. Three options. 1. Take out a loan. 2. Cash in some stocks and pay the tax hit. 3. Begin claiming SS which will more than cover the cost of the car in a couple of years.

Only Fed taxes on SS as my state does not tax SS. Another benefit is claiming now reduces draw on other assets. A big draw back is giving up the 8% guarantee increase in SS. I’ll need to be vigilant to remain under the Medicare IRMAA.

Which option seems best?

Or "punt" by leasing a vehicle...roll everything into the monthly payment & convert transportation costs to just another monthly expense.

Make sure you have gap insurance, though it's now included in most leases.

Thirty years ago, maybe longer, I took a margin loan on my taxable brokerage account to buy a used Blazer that was in excellent shape, low miles. No payments required, but in 3 years, the account doubled, and I sold enough stock to pay off loan. Very risky, I know, but it worked out for me.

I had the Blazer for over 12 years, and we put 450,000+ miles on it before I junked it.

No, don't take SS so you can buy a car.

One of the options I’m looking at now is to sell my existing car privately and lease an electric car. My belief is that the next 3 years will see dramatic changes in electric car offerings and electric car infrastructure like charging stations. Since I keep cars for a decade, I don’t want to lock in during a time of rapid change. Thoughts?

One of the options I’m looking at now is to sell my existing car privately and lease an electric car. My belief is that the next 3 years will see dramatic changes in electric car offerings and electric car infrastructure like charging stations. Since I keep cars for a decade, I don’t want to lock in during a time of rapid change. Thoughts?

I think the same statement could have been made 5 or 10 years ago.

EVs are coming, but I wouldn't expect the pace of change to be any different than it has been.

I think the same statement could have been made 5 or 10 years ago.

EVs are coming, but I wouldn't expect the pace of change to be any different than it has been.

There are many new players now and in some regions charging stations are reaching critical mass.

I agree about the electric cars. I told my husband the other day that our next new car will be electric. Thankfully we don't need one right now. I do think that is an area where there will be dramatic developments within a few years. If I had to buy a car right now I would probably get one with the plan to replace it in a few years. I haven't leased a car so can't comment so much on that.

On the Social Security aspect, I speak from the standpoint of someone who took SS at a few months shy of 63. So I do have a bias here.

People mostly fall within 3 groups on SS.

There are people who can easily afford to wait until 70 and have plenty of money to bridge the gap. They have plenty of money to cover all their spending needs and they have enough non-tax deferred money that they don't have to worry about the tax hit from major purchases. Or, they have so much tax deferred money that they don't care. If you are in this group, you probably know it.

There are people who can't possibly make it until 70 or even full retirement age, perhaps. They need the SS income to live on and they don't have enough savings to even think about funding waiting. These people either need to take SS before 70 or need to gain some other income such as from continuing to work. Most people in this group, know it. Furthermore, most people are in this group.

The final group are in the in-betweeners. They can retire but defer SS by withdrawing money from their investments whether tax-deferred or not tax-deferred. So, technically, they could be in group 1. But, they don't have so much money that they won't miss what gets withdrawn to cover those years. They worry about depleting their funds to a point that they would not be comfortable with. They may have most everything in tax-deferred funds and every major purchase they have to make generates a taxable event.

FWIW, we fell within this group. I didn't like the idea of depleting the nest egg that much. I worried about unknown future expenses. I didn't want to feel that I would have to abruptly making a taxable withdrawal for some major expense. Our money was mostly in tax deferred vehicles. So I elected to take SS early. As things have played out, I am glad I did it this way.

If you feel you fall within group 1, then I would just go get a low interest car loan if I wanted a new car right now. We actually did that when we bought our new car in 2018. We put down the large down payment that we could make from our existing cash. I did not want to withdraw money I would have to pass tax on. We paid on the loan for almost 2 years and then paid it off when the taxes worked better for us. No regrets.

Definitely lease if you want a pure EV...battery technology is changing so fast it's better not to own.

E.g., solid state batteries should offer twice the capacity plus half the recharge time...but at best they are still 5 years away from commercialization.

I agree about the electric cars. I told my husband the other day that our next new car will be electric. Thankfully we don't need one right now. I do think that is an area where there will be dramatic developments within a few years. If I had to buy a car right now I would probably get one with the plan to replace it in a few years. I haven't leased a car so can't comment so much on that.

On the Social Security aspect, I speak from the standpoint of someone who took SS at a few months shy of 63. So I do have a bias here.

People mostly fall within 3 groups on SS.

There are people who can easily afford to wait until 70 and have plenty of money to bridge the gap. They have plenty of money to cover all their spending needs and they have enough non-tax deferred money that they don't have to worry about the tax hit from major purchases. Or, they have so much tax deferred money that they don't care. If you are in this group, you probably know it.

There are people who can't possibly make it until 70 or even full retirement age, perhaps. They need the SS income to live on and they don't have enough savings to even think about funding waiting. These people either need to take SS before 70 or need to gain some other income such as from continuing to work. Most people in this group, know it. Furthermore, most people are in this group.

The final group are in the in-betweeners. They can retire but defer SS by withdrawing money from their investments whether tax-deferred or not tax-deferred. So, technically, they could be in group 1. But, they don't have so much money that they won't miss what gets withdrawn to cover those years. They worry about depleting their funds to a point that they would not be comfortable with. They may have most everything in tax-deferred funds and every major purchase they have to make generates a taxable event.

FWIW, we fell within this group. I didn't like the idea of depleting the nest egg that much. I worried about unknown future expenses. I didn't want to feel that I would have to abruptly making a taxable withdrawal for some major expense. Our money was mostly in tax deferred vehicles. So I elected to take SS early. As things have played out, I am glad I did it this way.

If you feel you fall within group 1, then I would just go get a low interest car loan if I wanted a new car right now. We actually did that when we bought our new car in 2018. We put down the large down payment that we could make from our existing cash. I did not want to withdraw money I would have to pass tax on. We paid on the loan for almost 2 years and then paid it off when the taxes worked better for us. No regrets.
Thank you for your insightful reply. As you describe, I'm in the third group, since the lion-share of our assets are in tax deferred accounts. Given that our taxable/deferred accounts draws to fund Roth and living expenses generally use up the space in the lower tax brackets for both income (IRA distributions) or fed tax 0% for capital gains to $80K. The incremental distribution basically increases the cost of what I buy by the taxable amount of say 25%. I realize that I’ve grown my asset-based tax deferred for decades. Tax deference is a wonderful thing, but I'm shopper and hate to pay retail not to mention the 25% tax on top. So, just looking at other alternatives. My plan has been to wait to claim SS till 70 but looking at the payback into the mid 80s of age doesn't seem to make sense either. For some odd reason, I wouldn't mind paying the fed taxes on SS to lease or purchase a new car. Since the overall tax rate is lower that the taxes on a IRA distribution because my state doesn't tax SS benefits whereas the state does tax IRA distributions. There is also the argument that decreasing my draw on IRA investments has been a money maker but no guarantees of return in the future, but the next year or so looks strong but who knows. I’ve never leased a car before, but its looking attractive now given the rapid change in the vehicles I’m interested in.

Back
Top Bottom