Join Early Retirement Today

Starting a business next year, should I pay myself ?
Old 08-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi,
I'm 41 years old and have about 18 years working full time under my belt.

About 12 of those count towards social security, where I paid into it max amount. The other 6 years I worked outside the country so did not pay into SS.

My question is right now I have enough money to live reasonable (middle class) for about 20 years.

When I start my business should I pay myself so that down the road I get social security ? If so how much should I pay myself ? The other option is to keep as much money in business trying to grow it.

My wife has worked about 6 years full time and now works part time making about 40k.
steviekm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Yes- always pay yourself. You'll never know how your business is doing financially unless you pay yourself. The amount is subject to how much $ the business is making

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Depending on the business structure, one way or another you will most likely get SS credits. If you form an LLC, you can take the profit as your wages- without having to pay yourself a salary. You report income on Schedule C, and the profit will get recorded with SS. If you form an S Corp, you must pay yourself a salary, and you get some tax advantages doing so.

My suggestion would be to spend some time with an accountant, present your business plan and get his/her suggestions. The cost would count toward your startup costs if you do so before starting the business.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Yes I think I will need to talk to an accountant. I plan simply to start an investment company ( or llp ) where basically I am the only client ( maybe more clients down the road ).
Old 08-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you should pay your wife (and yourself?)? It sounds like she may need the credits more than you?

I really don't know - I'm just tossing the idea out there for your consideration. Might be totally backwards.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #6

Yes paying my wife is possibility. She has worked full time in her career before and is now working part time. So far she wants to work part time for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, you have to pay yourself something anyway, it cannot all be dividends.

Pay yourself at least $816 per month. That way, you cover the 90% social security bracket. It wont be a lot of SS, but you will get the most bang for the buck.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

If I understand you correctly, you're going to start a company to manage your own investments. ie. you're the only customer. (At least in the beginning).

Now you take some of your gains or a fixed $ amount or a percentage of your portfolio and count that towards your company profit or your salary.

That means you pay income taxes on the profit/salary including medicare & social security. In essence, you are increasing your expense ratio with the hope that the increase in your SS payment will more than make up for it in the long term.

Would it be less expensive to fund a fixed annuity that starts paying out at 66 or whatever age you choose?
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I ran my own company for the last 20 years before retirement. I always paid myself. Maybe a little low for a couple years but than up to normal. Big red flag to IRS if you do not. I also paid for the commute time for company car. Wife did not have a company gas card or any other benifits. 20 years never was audited but was always ready. 35 year of work never collected unemployment.
If you don't have to cheat to start a company you will make it up in efficiency over the bigger companies.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
If I understand you correctly, you're going to start a company to manage your own investments. ie. you're the only customer. (At least in the beginning).

Now you take some of your gains or a fixed $ amount or a percentage of your portfolio and count that towards your company profit or your salary.

That means you pay income taxes on the profit/salary including medicare & social security. In essence, you are increasing your expense ratio with the hope that the increase in your SS payment will more than make up for it in the long term.

Would it be less expensive to fund a fixed annuity that starts paying out at 66 or whatever age you choose?
Do you think there are tax advantages to above. I have considered it and still think about the annuity route. One worry I have is inflation affecting fixed income down the road and also about if I can make better return investing on my own.

It might be worth doing annuity if there are tax advantages.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviekm3 View Post
Do you think there are tax advantages to above. I have considered it and still think about the annuity route. One worry I have is inflation affecting fixed income down the road and also about if I can make better return investing on my own.

It might be worth doing annuity if there are tax advantages.
I don't know much about annuities or taxes, so you'll have to research it (or someone else in this forum will probably have the answers). Plug the numbers into Turbotax and the SS calculator to see if you'll come out ahead.

It just seemed to me, that if your idea is profitable with just you as a client, it "should" have been discovered before.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
social security