Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2016, 06:37 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I learned after hurricane Andrew how quickly cash is king when power was out for over a week.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I've put it in books, a mantle clock, odd places in the attic, up on a shelf behind a sink ...
Googling "most common places to hide cash" returns as first result:

1. In an envelope taped to the bottom of a kitchen shelf
2. In a watertight plastic bottle or jar in the tank on the back of your toilet
3. In an envelope at the bottom of your child’s toybox
4. In a plastic baggie in the freezer
5. Inside of an old sock in the bottom of your sock drawer
6. In an empty aspirin bottle in the bathroom (bundled up with a rubber band around it)
7. In the pocket of a particular shirt in your closet
8. In a “random” folder in your filing cabinet
9. In an envelope taped to the bottom of your cat’s litter box
10. In an envelope taped to the back of a wall decoration
11. In between several pages in a random book or two on your bookshelf
12. Buried in a jar in the back yard (my grandfather, incidentally, did this very thing)
13. In an envelope in the glove compartment of your car
14. Underneath a potted plant (or even buried in a small jar in the soil)
15. In an envelope taped to the bottom of a dresser drawer (so you can reach it from the
inside of the dresser below it)
16. Inside of a big coffee cup in the back of a cupboard
17. Inside your Christmas decoration box
18. Inside of an empty bottle of Guinness in the back of the fridge with the cap seemingly in place (smash it to get the cash)
19. In a plastic baggie inside of a flour or coffee container
20. In an envelope inside of a DVD case

If you think you're being clever by using one of these hiding places. Well, maybe not.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I've never held onto a large amount of cash, but the targeted attacks today (denial of Internet service) and a lot of grumbling of 'it's going to get worse before it's better' by some pretty smart IT folks (like Krebs) has me thinking that having some cash on hand may not be a bad idea. I'm not a conspiracy theory kinda guy, but I like to be prepared too...so, I am curious as to what some of the fine folks here are thinking.
I'm thinking "WTF is this guy talking about?" lol

Seriously, I noticed no impact from any DDOS yesterday. Neither did any of our users at work. I'm in I.T., so I would know about that if it had happened.

So think about that. Most people and web sites were never impacted by this. I can't imagine why having more cash on hand would be useful.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Have 1000 squirreled away in the wine cellar. Probably not a bad idea to have more. (Not like we'll suffer from the loss of interest available in our BoA checking account!)
More important that the wine cellar is full!
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post

Seriously, I noticed no impact from any DDOS yesterday. Neither did any of our users at work. I'm in I.T., so I would know about that if it had happened.

So think about that. Most people and web sites were never impacted by this. I can't imagine why having more cash on hand would be useful.
Potential for large scale state sponsored cyber attacks seems like a reasonable rationale to me.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:18 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I have a few reasons to stash cash, and have a safe for most of it.
From by bank account being a victim, natural disaster, go money, or just being able
to help a friend in need... but I do flip flop on how much of it I want in
the bank working for me.. currently it's at 10k
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvt View Post
You should always have a comfortable chunk of money close at hand. We have an account at a nearby bank for that very reason, even though our main bank is an internet bank.

For paper cash in your house, make sure you have a hundred or so in each small denomination -- $1, $5, $10, $20. In a SHTF scenario, you don't want to have to pay a chainsaw guy $20 but only have $100 bills. Instead of getting $80 back, your tree removal will suddenly be a $100 job.
ahh...good point. I have a bit, but all "C" notes.

Also, if it's internet paralysis you are concerned about, you can keep a bit in a local safe deposit box, I suppose.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtraveler View Post
More important that the wine cellar is full!
Being an amateur home winemaker, myself, I'm good for a lengthy siege on that ledger.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

1. In an envelope taped to the bottom of a kitchen shelf
2. In a watertight plastic bottle or jar in the tank on the back of your toilet
4. In a plastic baggie in the freezer
5. Inside of an old sock in the bottom of your sock drawer
6. In an empty aspirin bottle in the bathroom (bundled up with a rubber band around it)
7. In the pocket of a particular shirt in your closet
8. In a “random” folder in your filing cabinet
9. In an envelope taped to the bottom of your cat’s litter box
10. In an envelope taped to the back of a wall decoration
11. In between several pages in a random book or two on your bookshelf
12. Buried in a jar in the back yard (my grandfather, incidentally, did this very thing)
13. In an envelope in the glove compartment of your car
14. Underneath a potted plant (or even buried in a small jar in the soil)
15. In an envelope taped to the bottom of a dresser drawer (so you can reach it from the
inside of the dresser below it)
16. Inside of a big coffee cup in the back of a cupboard
17. Inside your Christmas decoration box
18. Inside of an empty bottle of Guinness in the back of the fridge with the cap seemingly in place (smash it to get the cash)
19. In a plastic baggie inside of a flour or coffee container
20. In an envelope inside of a DVD case

If you think you're being clever by using one of these hiding places. Well, maybe not.
In my view, someone who breaks into your house looking for cash is not going to have time going through ALL of those locations... so perhaps the odds are still with you.

This something I haven't done - rarely have more than $50 in cash on me - but perhaps should look into. Finding a hiding place not on that list would be the challenge, but I think I could figure out something.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #30
Administrator

This thread brings back memories of Y2K fears and preps. Many things "might" happen, but very few will, and we should not let those fears get in the way of living, and enjoying, life.

For the record, I agree with Harley. Some cash stashed away, and awareness that the biggest risk might be having to use it with store cashiers that can't make change.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Some cash stashed away, and awareness that the biggest risk might be having to use it with store cashiers that can't make change.
+1

For this reason I advise not having the stash all in large denomination bills.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post

It didn't impact me, either, but the fact remains that it IS a threat and it WAS a fairly large outage. I give quite a bit of credence to Brian Krebs and his opinion on the subject so I would like to be prepared. He isn't the only one that has concern about how the proliferation of "Internet of Things" (DVRs, WiFi Cams, etc.) from China that are easily hacked and as a consumer, there is NOTHING you can do about it (changing the admin password is often a worthless venture) except unplug them...and guess what? Folks aren't going to do that. How big of an area did this effect? Take a look at the map. For those that might be more interested in the background of this latest attack you can visit: Krebs on Security

Anyway, the point of the question remains. This can apply to anything from a large scale IT disruption to natural disaster, to...well...you get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This thread brings back memories of Y2K fears and preps. Many things "might" happen, but very few will, and we should not let those fears get in the way of living, and enjoying, life.
I personally will probably add to my stash (at the house) but I don't see the value of having more than a few thousand stashed. In my opinion, it's nothing more than a risk mitigation tool. And no...I am not fearful of it (especially since there is ZERO I can about it), but that doesn't mean I don't want to be prepared.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (250.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We keep around $500 on hand, mostly in $20's.

Around here earthquakes are a concern. Anyway, it's just for peace of mind. I rarely need much cash but do use cash for local fill ups at Arco (cheapest gas on west coast). Also tend to travel with a few hundred on road trips.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:09 AM   #34

It's pretty hard to figure out what the NEXT threat will be.

We humans are good at protecting against the LAST threat, e.g. people who lived through the great depression not trusting banks or even people who lived through the 70's high inflation environment continuing to worry about run-away inflation when it is currently "near" zero in the US.

Pretty much the best we an do is build personal financials that are as resilient as possible. Things like practicing reasonable diversification, keeping some cash around, buying lots of lottery tickets, and most important, don't panic.

I hope most people here have read (or at least heard of):
The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Taleb
Old 10-22-2016, 09:33 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
[...]
Can you imagine finding THAT as a kid? I can just imagine the kid riding his bike over to the nearest store with all that cash, and lugging a backpack full of candy and comics home to hide (in his toybox?).
Quote:
It didn't even include the most common one that I recall from movies and TV - - taping an envelope to the back of a painting.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got around $1k stashed away at the house. Bought a small fireproof/waterproof safe rated to protect flash drives. Keep my computer backup in there also.
dand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #37

Last time we had a week-long power outage, the grocery store still took credit cards. They just used one of those old carbon copy swipers. We ended up not using much of our cash stash at all.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Last time we had a week-long power outage, the grocery store still took credit cards. They just used one of those old carbon copy swipers. We ended up not using much of our cash stash at all.
When I got my new Citi/Costco Visa I noticed how much easier it is to read the account numbers on it. That was because it was flat - first one I had that couldn't be imprinted.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Current events, and the wisdom of you alert folks, has made me aware that I do not have but <$100 stashed in the house. I think that I need to reevaluate my emergency cash plan.

Thanks for shaking me up on this issue.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Potential for large scale state sponsored cyber attacks seems like a reasonable rationale to me.
You mean like this?

Quote:
There is still an open discussion, however, about when cyberweapons should be used for “offense,” such as carrying out attacks against a group or foreign country.

“You can tell we are at the tipping point now,” Adm. Rogers said. “The capacity and the capability are starting to come online [and] really starting to pay off in some really tangible capabilities that you will start to see us apply in a broader and broader way.”
NSA Chief Says U.S. at ‘Tipping Point’ on Cyberweapons - WSJ

not to mention this...

Quote:
Do we steal economic information? Of course we do: precursor chemicals, dual-use equipment... money laundering. But we do not do it for commercial advantage.
NSA is world's best hacker thief, says former director - Jan. 12, 2016

I am suspicious about the 'commercial advantage' part, but there's no doubt that the NSA brags at being the #1 cyber-hacker in the world. They're the ones to fear, IMHO.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote