Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-24-2016, 02:48 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've got a dollar in my wallet. Oh, and also a jar of pennies. I use credit card for everything. When we go on a trip we take about $500 cash to cover things that the cc won't. I've had people pay me for something in cash, and I can't get it to the bank fast enough. No need to risk a break-in, as they are becoming more common around here. I even have a stack of savings bonds which I put into a security deposit box at the bank.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Incidentally, what are the thoughts on the "old style" currency?
I've spent the found $20s hidden by my mom long ago, the old style bills. They've gotten a few raised eyebrows but so far no one has refused them. That they are in the style of current $1 bills, which have not changed appearance, makes them look familiar. Perhaps twenty years from now people will refuse the old bills but I suspect a bank would swap them for new currency for you.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Well, went out today and got some good old fashioned cash. Not a lot, but enough to hold us over for a while. I also have LOTS of MREs (I use them as "in case" food when out camping and such) that would keep us fed for as long as we would WANT to be alive...because face it, if there is something as catastrophic as a nuclear attack, I don't think I would really want to hang around.

Incidentally, what are the thoughts on the "old style" currency? I ask because my Dad has a good amount of cash in his safe, and it's been in there long enough that none of it is like the cash in circulation now. He has been hesitant to deposit it (or exchange it) for fear that the government will "find out" (I know it's unfounded, but he's almost 90, so there is no changing his mind!) Does anyone think that there could be an issue trying to use these old bills? I say it would be smart to swap them out, but it could be more hassle than it's worth. Also, doing an inventory of the safe a while back, there was ZERO evidence of mold or any other organic "disturbances" and this is in Georgia, where humidity is pretty high. Perhaps just lucky?
If exchanging be careful with the amounts involved as you could be accused of dealing in drugs also with old bills. Not likley in the case cited but possible. Note that old bills are still legal in the US even old United States Notes and Silver Certificates, but they would likely be worth more than face value to a collector. (US notes last issued in 1971, silver certificates in 1964)
But to really confound folks get a hold of a bunch of $2 bills.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
If exchanging be careful with the amounts involved as you could be accused of dealing in drugs also with old bills.
I've heard that before but don't understand why older currency should be any more involved with drug trade than newer. Is it that suppliers only take new bills, so street dealers are left with the old?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

A while back, I gave a few $2 dollar bills and some Susan B Anthony dollar coins to my granddaughter while she was in college. She acted like she didn't think they were legal tender.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:53 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
A while back, I gave a few $2 dollar bills and some Susan B Anthony dollar coins to my granddaughter while she was in college. She acted like she didn't think they were legal tender.
Yeah the Susan B, what a horrid experiment that was.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Yeah the Susan B, what a horrid experiment that was.
And the coins were not very good either. They looked too much like a quarter.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
And the coins were not very good either. They looked too much like a quarter.
Made me laugh.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:23 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I liked them (the size) but they just need to make them gold (brass/copper alloy) so they don't look like quarters.

And then cancel the dollar bill and the penny
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

The $1 and $2 up here in Canada are fairly popular...you folks should try again, but maybe do a better job designing them this time.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Yeah we could cancel that albatross Kennedy half dollar too, those are useless.

Make a gold colored Kennedy dollar just a little bigger diameter than a quarter -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Several years ago, I made habit of tipping the commissary baggers with $2 bills. On more than one occasion I got some remark along the lines of "thanks for the fake money". I could envision having the same conversation with some young cashier in a few more years when I break out a crispy, "new" 1968 $20 bill!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #113

Let's see. 40 bucks that's it. although I do have enough food and water to last until Armageddon. bad habit since atm's came along. I simply never have cash, but then zombie uprisings, total global computer outage and all the walmart's going under are things that I never worry bout.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #114

I needed to use my cash stash only once. My son had a major repair on his car.He got the call that he could come pick it up on a Saturday afternoon and the repair shop offered him a hefty discount for cash. He called me to see if I had about $1100 in cash and I did. That saved him some money when he really needed it and he paid me back via PayPal within a week. I was glad I could help. He has a much better car now.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Considering the minimal amount of effort and money it requires, I don't understand why you would not have a week's worth of food and water, any necessary medications, and a few hundred bucks in cash handy. That would be good enough to get you through power outages, storms, potential fire evacuations and even some low probability stuff like short-lived civil unrest (Rodney king riots) and the like. Just a low cost way to cut off the tails of the distribution of outcomes.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #116

Actually one way to keep a few days of food with no power is canned soup. Yes it would be cold, but provide nutrition even if cold. You would just need to use the cans before the expiration date and replace them.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:47 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually one way to keep a few days of food with no power is canned soup. Yes it would be cold, but provide nutrition even if cold. You would just need to use the cans before the expiration date and replace them.
Or within a few years after the expiration date. If the can doesn't explode when you poke it, it's good to go.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I would be worried about the incentive that really bad guys might have with so much around.
I try to be within a few feet of a loaded firearm in my normal sitting spots. My house is definitely not kid safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
How do you get the cord through the safe to plug it in? Just drilled a hole?
I have a small 1/4" hole on the top of my safe, from the factory. I think the factory used it to lift and move the safe around the assembly line. I put the electric cord, fed it through, and re-attached the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
So, you do a lot of your RE stuff with cash?
I pay extra on my mortgages and use it for cash discounts with vendors. Often, you get a better discount with cash, than you get with credit card bonuses... And of course, strippers want cash too.

Quote:
Bear Grylls is much more creative than that. Just go in the back yard and find some grub worms or a camels eye...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:52 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
ahh...good point. I have a bit, but all "C" notes.

Also, if it's internet paralysis you are concerned about, you can keep a bit in a local safe deposit box, I suppose.
$50's are easy to cash....most cashiers have a drawer full of $20's and never use them. Even at garage sales, sellers have lots of $20's after a couple of hours. Get the newer ones, though. The older 50's look fake and don't have the holograms, etc. that people like to see when making change.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #120

Quote:
But to really confound folks get a hold of a bunch of $2 bills.
DW just got one of those in change. The clerk asked first if she minded. I'll keep it to use as part of a tip to a waitress, preferably a very young one who may not know such a thing exists.