Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
In my view, someone who breaks into your house looking for cash is not going to have time going through ALL of those locations... so perhaps the odds are still with you.
+1 However the squirrel approach of using many places means some will be forgotten. My mom passed decades ago yet roughly every year I still find $20 or so hidden by her in a book or other old item of hers I have. Brings fond memories.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #42

We only keep a few hundred, <$500, counting what we carry or have in house, would tide us over for a couple of weeks.
wmc1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Anyway, the point of the question remains. This can apply to anything from a large scale IT disruption to natural disaster, to...well...you get it.
Yeah, I get it. You're pretty concerned.

I'm not.

I'm not that concerned because there are too many ways to work around any problems that may arise. We have multiple clouds, multiple caching backbones, etc. Traffic gets rerouted. IP's get banned. Most of this is automatic.

I read Krebs' thoughts on this before I first responded, but I am not too impressed. I guess I've fully recovered from my old tin-foil hat days. Y2K helped open my eyes a lot...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #44

The first time I deliberately stashed some cash was for Y2K. Seems kind of silly now but at the time I figured it couldn't hurt to have some cash at hand.

I have quite a lot on hand in recent years because we plan our cash use every month and if we don't use it it tends to accumulate. No clever hiding places. If we hear tornado sirens I grab the cash along with the radio and flashlight when we head to the basement. I don't want it scattered in the wind if the house blows away!

I keep $40 in the car for unplanned stops at the grocery store, etc. And I usually have $45 to $50 in my wallet so that covers most things.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #45

A couple hundred in a special wallet in the house. Around here, if there is a major windstorm that takes down transmission lines, it could be 2-3 days in the urban/suburban areas until electricity is restored. Grocery stores will operate on generators, but ATMs/card readers don't work. SO . . . cash for gas and groceries is King!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtraveler View Post
More important that the wine cellar is full!
Or the liquor cabinet

We keep about a months worth of cash on hand.

For those without safes, can I recommend at the very least the following (I am paranoid about fire burning the cash):

U.S. Patrol JB5076 Fire Resistant Document Bag - $7.88
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Patrol-JB...2VHR771GEETK37

Of course there are better ones for more money.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #47

The funny thing is that I'm a big believer in having cash on hand because of earthquakes and fires, but we never seem to have it. It's difficult for me to take $100 out of the ATM (that's SO MUCH MONEY...) and cash laying around here tends to get spent. Right now I have some change in my wallet and no folding money. Guess it's time to make and execute a plan...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Three grand in the safe.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #49

I am not worried about denial of service attacks, at all. Having said that, I have plenty of firearms, and enough ammo that I could shoot for a while if I had to. If chaos breaks out, for any reason, I am ready to deal with it.

As far as cash, it is in the $25K range mostly. The high point was over $90K. It seems like I accumulate cash, and my bank charges me money to deposit over $2,500 a month.

I have a large fireproof safe.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #50

I don't pay for much with cash but do keep about $500 around the house for golf gambling, tips, etc. Really no need to use a lot of cash these days. It only leads to coins as change and I hate coins!
Old 10-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
As far as cash, it is in the $25K range mostly. The high point was over $90K. It seems like I accumulate cash, and my bank charges me money to deposit over $2,500 a month.

You win the cash stash contest Senator.

I would be worried about the incentive that really bad guys might have with so much around.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtraveler
More important that the wine cellar is full!

Or the liquor cabinet

Or?
Old 10-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am not worried about denial of service attacks, at all. Having said that, I have plenty of firearms, and enough ammo that I could shoot for a while if I had to. If chaos breaks out, for any reason, I am ready to deal with it.

Time for a new bank or a heart to heart with an officer of your current bank.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Time for a new bank or a heart to heart with an officer of your current bank.
+1
I would not stand for that, and at a minimum would open a new account at a new bank.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Or the liquor cabinet

We keep about a months worth of cash on hand.

For those without safes, can I recommend at the very least the following (I am paranoid about fire burning the cash):

U.S. Patrol JB5076 Fire Resistant Document Bag - $7.88
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Patrol-JB...2VHR771GEETK37

Of course there are better ones for more money.
Be very cautious about this fire envelope, read the reviews. It's made of fiberglass and you will get splinters in your fingers.

Might as well just buy a roll of fiberglass from the home hardware store and wearing rubber gloves stuff the $ into the center (it would provide about 10 inches of protection which is an enormously large more amount).
Old 10-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Be very cautious about this fire envelope, read the reviews. It's made of fiberglass and you will get splinters in your fingers.
Might as well just buy a roll of fiberglass from the home hardware store and wearing rubber gloves stuff the $ into the center (it would provide about 10 inches of protection which is an enormously large more amount).
The one I linked to had no such reviews. Others do, perhaps you read the wrong one. This one for instance has a review warning about fibres:
Utrax Fireproof Pouch Fire Resistant Document Bag Anti Fire Storage Seal Pockets

Either way, the actual point is to consider fire and water protection. Cash money is fairly fragile and if people don't want to have a safe in the house they should still make the effort to physically protect it. A lot of people used to say to put it in a sealed baggie in a freezer or fridge. Those appliances offer some protection in a house fire and the baggie will protect it from water.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

If the 3 grand in my house burns up that will be the least of my problems.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The cash stash - a few hundred in the fire safe. We dip into it occasionally for paying people who do house maintenance chores. Sometimes use it as out ATM before leaving on a trip. Then replenish eventually.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:03 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
If the 3 grand in my house burns up that will be the least of my problems.
True but why add to your problems ?

Plus, our house insurance policy specifically limits coverage for cash/bullion, etc.. to a max loss of 2K. I gather a lot of them do (at various limits)
Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The one I linked to had no such reviews. Others do, perhaps you read the wrong one. This one for instance has a review warning about fibres:
Utrax Fireproof Pouch Fire Resistant Document Bag Anti Fire Storage Seal Pockets

Either way, the actual point is to consider fire and water protection. Cash money is fairly fragile and if people don't want to have a safe in the house they should still make the effort to physically protect it. A lot of people used to say to put it in a sealed baggie in a freezer or fridge. Those appliances offer some protection in a house fire and the baggie will protect it from water.
I only clicked on the link provided, and read the reviews (just the first few)
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Patrol-JB...71GEETK37&th=1

Not sure why I see something different, but regardless if you have a lot then protecting it from fire would be smart.