Join Early Retirement Today

State estimated tax payments
Old 04-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

State estimated tax payments

My income fluctuates a lot due to lumpy capital gains distributions, dividends, occasional self-employment income, and options trading income. My tax software (H&R Block) has a simple, easy-to-use feature that will let me determine roughly what my federal estimated tax payments should be for 2021, but it doesn't do this for my state ET payments (even though I've downloaded and installed the state tax software that plugs into it).

For those whose incomes are fairly lumpy year-to-year, how do you figure out what your state estimated tax payments need to be? Is there a good online calculator that works for every state (I'm in GA)?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
My income fluctuates a lot due to lumpy capital gains distributions, dividends, occasional self-employment income, and options trading income. My tax software (H&R Block) has a simple, easy-to-use feature that will let me determine roughly what my federal estimated tax payments should be for 2021, but it doesn't do this for my state ET payments (even though I've downloaded and installed the state tax software that plugs into it).

For those whose incomes are fairly lumpy year-to-year, how do you figure out what your state estimated tax payments need to be? Is there a good online calculator that works for every state (I'm in GA)?
I have used this in the past for Georgia and it was pretty good. Looks basic on the first page, but when you put the basics in...the loaded pages will have a lot of data you can edit.

Georgia Income Tax Rates for 2021 *look about 1/2 way down the page at #2.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #3

TurboTax calculates for me, but, basically it just takes what you paid in 2020 and divides by 4. Pay quarterly. This gets you to the safe harbor of 100% of last year's taxes.
Quote:

Old 04-12-2021, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have used this in the past for Georgia and it was pretty good. Looks basic on the first page, but when you put the basics in...the loaded pages will have a lot of data you can edit.

Georgia Income Tax Rates for 2021 *look about 1/2 way down the page at #2.
Ahh, this looks great. Thanks @EFB5!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:

i don't know about your state but in Illinois as with the feds i just pay 100% of my previous year's tax bill in 4-equal installments. i'd rather owe than get a refund. but since the bulk of income is via 1099-Rs and all of that is not taxable in Illinois...yet...our tax bill is very, very small. but the principle applies.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
TurboTax calculates for me, but, basically it just takes what you paid in 2020 and divides by 4. Pay quarterly. This gets you to the safe harbor of 100% of last year's taxes.
I used to try to estimate closely each quarter, but now I just pay one fourth for quarters 1 thru 3 - and only look really close in quarter 4.

I started with TurboTax but I’ve since built an Excel spreadsheet for Federal and state estimated taxes. In it I track my wages (zero now), dividends, interest, muni payouts, Roth conversion contributions, foreign taxes paid (est), and cap gains all year - and project same for fourth quarter and dial in my estimated taxes with the quarter 4 payment. I also fine tune my fourth Roth conversion contributions to make sure I stay within the top of the 22% bracket with serious consideration to IRMAA thresholds. I can get very close with estimated taxes using my spreadsheet.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:21 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like and use this one for federal and state- 2021 calculations are available

https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:06 AM   #8

Quote:

Our state taxes are very simple, since cap gains are treated as regular income. Might be that simple for you too?
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote