Join Early Retirement Today

State income tax return question
Old 12-27-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired in Thailand 10 years and decided to return to the states. I do my own taxes using Taxact software. Since I have only lived in Georgia 6 months. The rules I read tend to discuss locally earned income (work, rental) between two or more states.
I have two possible issues.
When I came to Georgia, I only got a 6 month lease on a furnished apartment since I wasn't sure if we wanted to stay here. In the mean time, I did get a GA driver's license because I needed it to buy a car. I don't own any real estate property or worked in Georgia. Am I a resident of Georgia now?
If I am a Georgian resident,
Is there an issue when in 2015 I was a resident of Thailand and now I am in Georgia?
My income only comes from investments and savings, so do I divide my 2015 income by either 365 days or 12 months and then multiple either the number of days or months I have lived in Georgia?
Is that they way it is done?
Thanks for any advice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure how it's done in Georgia, but in Wisconsin, we have a part year resident tax form for people who split their time between WI and another state. This form also applies to people who move to WI mid year and need to account for income.

Try this:
https://dor.georgia.gov/nonresidents...year-residents
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.
Georgia has a similar form but I am not sure how one divides investment and interest income that are not state specific generated?
Old 12-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
My understanding is in Georgia, you divide the income by the percentage of time you lived in Georgia, as you suggested in your Original Post.
This is even when its from outside Georgia.

I did read: $65,000 of retirement income, which includes income from IRAs and 401(k)s, is exempt for those 65 and up.

So it's not all bad.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #5

I would call the Georgia tax office and ask. I looked up the directions online and it looks similar to my state. They seem to want to see tax being paid to another state. They may or may not have an option for another country.
I would think by getting a driving license, you likely declared your residency.
When I was working overseas, I kept my state residency, so we just paid. But this was to keep the residency for college consideration for our children when we returned.
You really need someone who did what you did with your state and likely in recent years.
Call you state tax department. You might even get the right answer. I'm sure others would like to hear the result.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #6

Thanks again for the replies.
Sunset, the 65K deduction was one of the reasons why I chose Georgia.
Bingybear, I plan to call them but I was hoping for a home run here. I don't know they would have an answer to my overseas/state issue. It may not be a normal situation for them.
Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't see how Georgia can want to see tax paid to another state, as about 7 states have zero income tax. Which would be like living in another country.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote