Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
State Tax Question
Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 12,721
State Tax Question

We moved from Michigan to Washington in mid 2017. I filed a partial year Michigan income tax return for 2017. Washington has no state income tax. I just realized that Michigan is still withholding taxes from my DW's Michigan pension. How do we get back the withheld money from Michigan?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 255
1) File a new W-4P with the pension provider to stop the withholding.
2) Wait until 2019, then file a Michigan non-resident return to get whatever refund is due. Might be all of it, if you have no Michigan-source income.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
braumeister's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 16,634
I would simply write a letter to the Michigan tax department and explain the situation, asking for them to stop withholding and refund the correct amount.

Back in pre-internet days, that sort of thing was routine, and I imagine it would still work.
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another tax question: State tax paid as a deduction BBQ-Nut FIRE and Money 9 02-19-2015 08:53 AM
Net impact of living in no-state-tax state ? Delawaredave5 FIRE and Money 46 01-06-2013 08:01 PM
State residency for Armed Forces personnels for in-state college tuition. Sam Other topics 9 07-30-2007 05:06 PM
Why does health insurance vary state to state teejayevans Health and Early Retirement 130 04-22-2007 09:21 AM
I'm 51 y.o., female, state employee with 30 yrs state service 82577 Hi, I am... 4 03-26-2007 05:21 PM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.