Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you staying the course so far (and in the foreseeable future)/
I am maintaining or increasing my equity holdings 209 90.48%
I am slowly/rapidly decreasing my equity holdings moving to cash or other safer holdings 22 9.52%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retired/er layed off Jan 1993. Started investing 1966. Should be used to 'stay the course.'

But then I've been thru many a 4th quarter of Saint's football.

As for retirement - full auto - for the serious money. Lifestrategy moderate for over ten years and now Target 2015.

But hormones being what they - can't resist peeking, putzing with some side money, even though the main event Vanguard computers just rebalance away and don't get excited.

Bring on football season! I hear the Pats as usual have a good football team. As if my balanced index really cares.

If it gets too wooky - I'll start measuring my SEC yield of Target 2015 to the second deicmal place and mumble Pssst - Wellesley shoulda bought pssst - Wellesley!

Geaux Saint's again this season(hope springs eternal) - tough it thru on my 3.2X% SEC yield if I must, stay the course.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Uncle....... you forgot the "psstt...."
Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Staying the course at 60/40 equities/fixed, waiting until 5% out to do anything. Last bear market I procrastinated until about 6.5% out (white knuckles), may do that again because I'm a chicken at times.
I had my triggers set at 10%, but with recent volatility, I bumped IGR, PCRIX, and VWO to 15%. Was trading to often...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Boy, nice day for the portfolio even though the dow was only up 30 points. EMC, STON, MO, GE, T, and CZN all had a nice day. EMC was up almost 14%. Too bad I'm still in the red with it.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Boy, nice day for the portfolio even though the dow was only up 30 points. EMC, STON, MO, GE, T, and CZN all had a nice day. EMC was up almost 14%. Too bad I'm still in the red with it.
I am ecstatic at this upturn!! I have great hopes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

We spent, what, a week in bear territory? This upturn seems too soon. I am reticent, music man.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
We spent, what, a week in bear territory? This upturn seems too soon. I am reticent, music man.
I find it hard to guess the direction of the market. I will say though, that bear markets usually don't start when stocks have gone nowhere for 10 years- which is exactly what the S&P had done until this last little bounce.

But individual stocks are another matter. Whatever happens in the next few months, GE for example will be much higher a few years down the road than it is now, and an holder will have gotten healthy and growing dividends in the meantime.

I think their hook-up with Abu Dhabi Sovereign Fund points the way to their future. Immelt is a visionary, light bulbs and washer/dryers are a thing of GE's past. They are being spun off rather than sold because he doesn't want to spend any more management time messing with it, and I think they were not getting very good bids.

Abu Dhabi and GE Capital will each invest $4 billion and leverage it up to $40B to create new infrastructure investments in Abu Dhabi. I expect GE Capital's more consumer directed businesses will be sold, spun off or run off. Additionally, GE's share price will find support because Abu-Dhabi has vowed to be one of its 10 largest shareholders, buying in the market, not a private equity deal or capital injection.

It is likely that this train will not be sitting around for long.

It's my largest position.

Ha
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I find it hard to guess the direction of the market. I will say though, that bear markets usually don't start when stocks have gone nowhere for 10 years- which is exactly what the S&P had done until this last little bounce.

But individual stocks are another matter. Whatever happens in the next few months, GE for example will be much higher a few years down the road than it is now, and an holder will have gotten healthy and growing dividends in the meantime.

I think their hook-up with Abu Dhabi Sovereign Fund points the way to their future. Immelt is a visionary, light bulbs and washer/dryers are a thing of GE's past. They are being spun off rather than sold because he doesn't want to spend any more management time messing with it, and I think they were not getting very good bids.

Abu Dhabi and GE Capital will each invest $4 billion and leverage it up to $40B to create new infrastructure investments in Abu Dhabi. I expect GE Capital's more consumer directed businesses will be sold, spun off or run off. Additionally, GE's share price will find support because Abu-Dhabi has vowed to be one of its 10 largest shareholders, buying in the market, not a private equity deal or capital injection.

Ha
It's close to my largest individual stock position. You got me licking my lips to buy a little more.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #69
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Ha

I have some money on the sidelines that I'll be spending today .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:07 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
bear markets usually don't start when stocks have gone nowhere for 10 years- which is exactly what the S&P had done until this last little bounce.
Yeah but do you really want to track from a level derived from overpriced non-companies and 80 PE's from irrational exuberance? If you take a chart of the last 15 years and forget about that 99/00 spike it looks like stocks are just about on the curve to where they should be. Maybe even a little bit overpriced still.

Bargains relative to stupid prices may not quite be the same as bargains relative to normal prices...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spchart.jpg (47.8 KB, 14 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have some money on the sidelines that I'll be spending today .
I wish I could always be this persuasive.

Ha
Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

That line is pretty arbitrary, based on what you decide to ignore. I'd say that either of these lines could also be justified:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LowLine.jpg (27.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg HighLine.jpg (28.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That line is pretty arbitrary, based on what you decide to ignore. I'd say that either of these lines could also be justified:
I think this would be a lot easier to analyze on a logarithmic scale.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Of course.

You could argue that the real story is following the long term trend for valuations that existed prior to 1990, as in your first chart. BTW, that was the only actual piece of identifiable financial message in the Ho$ux/JWR dynamic duo's routine...that stocks were expensive compared to long historic valuations and therefore shouldnt be owned. That would have had you out of stocks from about 1994 on. Although they backtracked around 2006 to say that prices were kinda okay in 2002-2003.

Or that "something changed in the modern era" and that the trend established just prior to the bubble reflects modern valuations based on global operations, the internet, productivity improvements, and/or some other change.

I think theres some rationale to that latter, but since market inefficiencies rarely run year after year after year, and finding a relatively clean trend that existed for 8 years before the bubble and for 7 years after, split the highs and lows.

Answer me three questions: do you think stocks were grossly overvalued in 98-00? Do you think stocks were reasonably cheap in 02/03? Do you think they were a little overpriced in 07?

My answer to all three of those is 'yes', which is born out by the chart I put up.

But I guess the real question is "do we mark todays relative price and valuations against the top of a bubble market, particularly when it might be tough to get everyone to agree on what the right measure of valuations are?"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I think in recent years there has been a tendency for sectors to go through their own little bull and bear markets. So overall market metrics may not be too helpful.

Even the 2000-2002 bear did not involve all sectors. Look at MO and UST for examples. And the recent and perhaps ongoing financial bear certainly missed the E&P and Oil service sectors, while clobbering the refiners.

Horses for courses- just because they all can't run under today's conditions doesn't mean that some won't.

Ha
Old 07-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

I wish you luck with your GE position.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am ecstatic at this upturn!! I have great hopes.
Once again, jinxed. I wouldn't consider it an upturn until we have a month in the plus column.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Once again, jinxed. I wouldn't consider it an upturn until we have a month in the plus column.
Yup, easy come.....easy go.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Hey, the days not over yet.

Nothing is over until WE decide it is!!!

Was is over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?!?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Hey, the days not over yet.

Nothing is over until WE decide it is!!!

Was is over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?!?
Step up to the plate and buy!