Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you staying the course so far (and in the foreseeable future)/
I am maintaining or increasing my equity holdings 209 90.48%
I am slowly/rapidly decreasing my equity holdings moving to cash or other safer holdings 22 9.52%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Staying the Course?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Staying the Course?

As simple as possible...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No I purchased some more funds..

oop poll just showed up
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #3

cashed out early june, was thinking about buying in today but the market didn't stay up
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For the last few years i didnt invest in equities (other than my 401k) because I thought the market was overpriced. Now I'm starting to invest periodically
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I was crazy enough to rebalance last friday (which meant selling bonds and buying equities). I'm sure I'm too early, but my life is just too busy to keep checking my portfolio balance and my "rebalance trigger" fired good. My total portfolio is down >13.5% from it's peak last October.

If the market goes down a lot more, I guess I'll be rebalancing again, but if it doesn't I won't be taking any action and now I can go do other things and not pay much attention until (unless) the market drops twice what it has so far.

FWIW, one of the fields in my rebalance spreadsheet is how many years expenses are covered by my cash+bonds allocation. Last Oct it was 16 years. Now it's dropped down to 14.3 years. I guess if it drops below 10 years I might be tempted to sit tight and stop rebalancing. We'll see how low that number gets during this bear market.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
... was thinking about buying in today but the market didn't stay up
Way to go, Bundy; if the deal gets better, cancel the plan.

As for me, didn't vote because it would distort the facts.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I always maintain a fairly conservative asset allocation (65%-70% stocks) and so far I have been able to comfortably handle that level of risk without surrendering to panic. I am buying pretty much only stocks right now (mostly small caps and emerging markets lately) in order to bring my AA back to about 70% stocks. I am also buying some REITs. The only time I bought bonds this year was during the rebound in April-May.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #8

We'll put $4k into the market this month, just like every month. and then another chunk into our cash reserves, just like every month. I did make our AA more aggressive a while ago.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I made a plan and I'm sticking to it pretty well. I have been slowly DCA'ing into the equity portion of that plan from my windfall money, and I have continued doing that at the planned rate.

So far, so good. Since much of my money has been in cash/MM/bonds while I slowly move into equities, I have only lost around 2% and I have made that up (plus added extra) from my paycheck.

Also, gotta say it... "Pssst!! Wellesley" is 30% of my nestegg.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm in the same boat as Marquette, although my engine is a bit smaller :-). I put the same amount into cash reserves and investments every month... I'm almost completely in small caps for my roth and taxable account and it's been pretty brutal, but I'm only 31 and that's the level of risk that I've chosen. My 401k has held up much better but it's still not pretty.

By brutal I mean that I did something silly the other day and looked at how much my average stock was off it's 52-week high... and the AVERAGE % off was around 50 I didn't buy any of these at the 52 week high and am still ahead on some, but that was painful to see. I've only been buying individual equities for about 4 years, and it's been a wild ride thus far.
theHundt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #11

Almost 50, retired almost 2 years, still 100% individual stocks
(since 1993), so I guess I am "staying the course".

Down 7.6% for year, but earnings and dividends keep going up, so no worries.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Moved another 6k+ into equities this month, staying the course. I'm 33 so I'm looking forward to "Gee grandpa, you bought into the S&P when it was trading at 10% of it's current number?"
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #13

Dumped a bunch of cash into stocks yesterday, ordered before market opened, lost a bundle, but will keep dca'ing as it goes down. I think the saying goes, "what goes down, must come up" by Newton Isaac, or was that the other way around....this dyslexia can get you into trouble when buying stocks...

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Way to go, Bundy; if the deal gets better, cancel the plan.

As for me, didn't vote because it would distort the facts.
the futures are down big today and everyone is expecting the world to end, i think we may finish up
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Buying like crazy now so in 15-20 years I can say boy wasn't 2008 a great time to buy
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Just heard some dude on Bloomberg say he thinks the market will decline another 20%. Jimmy Rogers says Fed is screwing up big time and markets will pay the price even more. Hmmmm.........wish I had listened to some of these guys earlier.

DVY owners, have you sold or holding? Contains a ton of financials. Hard to see financials doing anything for quite sometime. What are you guys buying that say you are buying?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 AM   #17

I'm in DVY at $69 and holding, still get a dividend.

I also hold a bunch of financials and holding so far.

Dawg, don't quit on us now.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #18

Like the guy said who fell out of a 30 story building: "So far, so good."

No change. Staying the course.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just heard some dude on Bloomberg say he thinks the market will decline another 20%. Jimmy Rogers says Fed is screwing up big time and markets will pay the price even more. Hmmmm.........wish I had listened to some of these guys earlier.
The problem with listening to them earlier is that sometimes they are disastrously wrong.

Rogers himself has moved to Singapore and is urging everyone into commodities and such.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

I'm holding but after this is over and I hope it's soon I'll probably go a little more conservative . I'm at 70% stocks and 20% bonds . I'll take it down a notch to 60/40.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote