Step up and call the bottom!

Dow's approximate bottom will be:

• 6800+ ( we are at it now, up from here!)

Votes: 18 11.1%

Votes: 20 12.3%

Votes: 10 6.2%

Votes: 29 17.9%
  • Below 6000 (Honey, sell silver on ebay! You like Fancy Feast?)

Votes: 85 52.5%

• Total voters
Results, since the bottom is now in until September except for one a small chance of a retest maybe falling 118 points lower than the low so far of 6470 here are the results ordered from low to high, some took 2 guesses. I am in favor of price is right rules!

Price is right rules, no way! And to those making multiple guesses, DQ them! Same for range guessers (or at least use the midpoint of their range)! Not that this interpretation would put me in the lead on this poll... :)

I'd really like it if it traded sideways for 18 to 24 more months so I can buy some more at these prices.

I am tired of buying so much at sale prices. I changed DH's 401K last night, so that new contributions would go 100% into the Stable fund. I am letting the old money ride in the funds they were in, since I am hoping that the market comes back while we are still alive. I decided that we needed to have more cash, in case it doesn't.

I thought I'd revive this thread with some articles that declare we have reached the bottom.

An interview last Saturday by Paul Merriman with columnist Paul Farrell.
FundAdvice.com - Sound Investing for March 27, 2009

You have to listen to half of the podcast before you get to the interview. Merriman calls him Dr. Doom, and is surprised when he states we've hit the bottom.

Farrell's Marketwatch article this week is a repetition of the podcast with more detail, especially around the point of bubble and bust.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/six-reasons-am-calling-bottom/story.aspx?guid={C7D85D3C-7008-4980-AE1E-47AD2565FBA7}

All of that aside, there is a great deal of substance to why we may be at the bottom provided by Schwab's Liz Ann Sonders in the article, "Gimmee Three Steps ..." on the Market Insight page:
Investing Strategy: Financial & Portfolio Management Strategies: Charles Schwab

Any takers for when this appears as a cover story for BusinessWeek, or Newsweek?

-- Rita

Last edited:
March, 2012: 2700. And, it'll be Chinese water torture all the way there: periods of the Dow being down 2-300 points a week for months, then fast sucker's rallies up a thousand points; then, another ratchet down of 2-300 points/week, then another sucker's rally, then...

'Course, Dow 2700 won't matter to anyone really, as Earth will be hit by a huge asteroid in April, 2012.

Dr. Doom, indeed! :D

Buy TIPs.

March, 2012: 2700. And, it'll be Chinese water torture all the way there: periods of the Dow being down 2-300 points a week for months, then fast sucker's rallies up a thousand points; then, another ratchet down of 2-300 points/week, then another sucker's rally, then...

'Course, Dow 2700 won't matter to anyone really, as Earth will be hit by a huge asteroid in April, 2012.

Dr. Doom, indeed! :D

Buy TIPs.

Mayans think it will end DEc 2012. Yeah so buy tips.

Buy TIPs.

Kinda reminds me of Al Sleet's weather report ('long about 5:40 min) in the attached.

But seriously folks (sorry George, wherever you are) I'm looking for a "sucker" recovery. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Regarding the asteroids and Mayans: One day at a time, baby, one day at a time!

YouTube - George Carlin- Newscast 1967

I thought I'd revive this thread with some articles that declare we have reached the bottom.

Thanks Rita. These are all quite interesting. My attitude it that while we can easily say that stocks show this or that valuation by this or that metric, I don't know how one could say that The Bottom is in.

I believe that this almost has to be true, since the stock market and the world and US economies interact in various ways. Unless we know what will happen in the future, and how investors and the rest of the public will react to whatever happens, I don't know how we could know when or at what level a lasting bottom might form.

Humans are given to looking back and finding that whatever has happened was inevitable, due to "the deficit" or "too much debt" or whatever the cause du jour might be.

Not so, as is pretty well shown by how so many people are right once, then hit a long dry spell.

I think what is pretty solid is that the cheaper one buys a quality company, the less s/he will lose if the market goes down, and the more s/he will make if it should go up.

Ha

Heard today on the local radio news that a poll shows that 27% of Americans think we've already hit the bottom. I think the number was 64% that thought we still have worse to come. I thought those numbers were interesting.

2Cor521

Heard today on the local radio news that a poll shows that 27% of Americans think we've already hit the bottom. I think the number was 64% that thought we still have worse to come. I thought those numbers were interesting.

2Cor521

Count me as one of those Mericans that doesn't know what the heck is going to happen.

Count me as one of those Mericans that doesn't know what the heck is going to happen.

Which means that your investment decisions are probably made with a more open mind than those of us (like me) who "know"...! :D

My "gut" tells me we've a sickening drop ahead still, but all that means is I'm deer in the headlights (i.e. I'm scared to deploy the cash I've got on the sidelines, waiting for Godot the Bottom.) Interesting to see where the market opens tomorrow, after this FASB mark-to-market thing settles.

Dow futures are down at 7945 even as we speak.

I think the number was 64% that thought we still have worse to come.

I would think this is a contrary indicator ... meaning that if 2/3s of shareholders have already acted on thier belief than the only direction left is UP.

I would think this is a contrary indicator ... meaning that if 2/3s of shareholders have already acted on thier belief than the only direction left is UP.

This board has many members who profess bearishness, but continue heavily invested in stocks. So I am not sure that your idea can be counted on.

Ha

Or, the 2/3rds are going to be holding cash instead of investing, which means that, with low volume, the market will whipsaw around and scare them further, causing a new NEW low.

If I'm right with my completely WAG, I'll be back to make another prediction. If I'm wrong, I'll wait a few months until everyone forgets and then I'll return to make another WAG prediction.

If I'm right with my completely WAG, I'll be back to make another prediction. If I'm wrong, I'll wait a few months until everyone forgets and then I'll return to make another WAG prediction.

Heh, heh, you know, eridanus, there are folks on this board who NEVER forget. :whistle:

Which means that your investment decisions are probably made with a more open mind than those of us (like me) who "know"...! :D

My "gut" tells me we've a sickening drop ahead still, but all that means is I'm deer in the headlights (i.e. I'm scared to deploy the cash I've got on the sidelines, waiting for Godot the Bottom.) Interesting to see where the market opens tomorrow, after this FASB mark-to-market thing settles.

Dow futures are down at 7945 even as we speak.

Mostly Im frozen with fear and just keep buying. Sticking to my AA. For all I know what Im doing is completely wrong. Only the future will answer that question.

That's about right. The market of the last 18 months has pretty much busted my original FIRE plans, but now that it's happened, pulling out pretty much guarantees they remain busted. So my decision is to just let what's still invested ride and hope for the best.

There a boatload of money on the sidelines. No, make that a navy full of boatloads of money. I've heard $2 Trillion and more thrown around as the number, although I'm not sure how one determines what money is on the sideline and what money is just outside the market.

I keep going back to the technicians way of looking at things - why not, nothing else makes sense and I don't know anything about reading the entrails of chickens - to try and get some tiny bit of clarity here. My latest [-]voodoo[/-] technical interest is Fibonacci retracement.

Note that I'm not espousing the theory, just tossing it out for discussion.

Anyway, current discussions and prognostications I follow elsewhere have discussed the potential for a Fibonacci retracement upward from 700-ish on the S&P, or, if it breaks that level going down, then from around 650. We're talking a quick, violent, and pretty massive upside - not back to where we were but close - 30% being the minimum. But it's generally seen as something that won't stick around for long.

And that last little bit is the one that has me wondering if this thing we're in right now might not have a bigger downside. Something like 1929 - 32 in which the market goes down about 50% (sound familiar?), then has a rally in which significant retracement takes place, followed by several years of a continual slide that goes past the previous low. Far enough past the previous low to make one fondly recall the days when we were down by only 50%.

I can deal with where we're at now. Don't like it - but I can deal. And I can handle a lengthy "L" shape on the recovery with an eventual, if very gradual, clawback upward. Like everyone else I've lost ground, years worth of it, but I'm still okay here and even a little lower. But the prospect of something like 1930-1936-ish is disturbing. '29 was bad, but the stuff that came later was worse.

You posted your prediction on March 3rd. Your technical analysis appears to be accurate at this point in time. Interesting to see what's next.

There's this (and a Grain of Salt):

6 reasons I'm calling a bottom and a new bull

OK, so you're one of millions of investors impatiently waiting on the sidelines, sitting with $2.5 trillion cash under your mattress, waiting for the right moment, that signal screaming: "Bottom's in, start buying!" Yes, it'll go down again, but the bottom's in, thanks to a great March, possibly the third best month since 1950, so it's time to jump back in and buy, buy, buy!

That's about right. The market of the last 18 months has pretty much busted my original FIRE plans, but now that it's happened, pulling out pretty much guarantees they remain busted. So my decision is to just let what's still invested ride and hope for the best.

Sure, there will be downs as well as ups, but I am optimistic and hope there will be more ups than downs in the coming year. I am not pulling out either... no way! In fact, I might rebalance pretty soon.

At this point faith in the recovery will evaporate and with it the stock market prices as they collapse in the fourth quarter to a new bear market low. The ability of spending a few trillion dollars will come as a process that was able to defer but not prevent the implosion of 50 trillion plus in imploding debt assets. However, for a time I think we will be better...
Placing a stake in the glass ceiling.....
I hereby declare I think the top is in at 10,119.47

We are now here, the 4th quarter from here on out to my perspective is getting positively scary.

Back
Top Bottom