6250 10 6.17%
6000 29 17.90%
Below 6000 (Honey, sell silver on ebay! You like Fancy Feast?) 85 52.47%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
Which means that your investment decisions are probably made with a more open mind than those of us (like me) who "know"...!

My "gut" tells me we've a sickening drop ahead still, but all that means is I'm deer in the headlights (i.e. I'm scared to deploy the cash I've got on the sidelines, waiting for Godot the Bottom.) Interesting to see where the market opens tomorrow, after this FASB mark-to-market thing settles.

Dow futures are down at 7945 even as we speak.
Mostly Im frozen with fear and just keep buying. Sticking to my AA. For all I know what Im doing is completely wrong. Only the future will answer that question.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
My "gut" tells me we've a sickening drop ahead still, but all that means is I'm deer in the headlights (i.e. I'm scared to deploy the cash I've got on the sidelines, waiting for Godot the Bottom.) Interesting to see where the market opens tomorrow, after this FASB mark-to-market thing settles.
That's about right. The market of the last 18 months has pretty much busted my original FIRE plans, but now that it's happened, pulling out pretty much guarantees they remain busted. So my decision is to just let what's still invested ride and hope for the best.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #143
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
There a boatload of money on the sidelines. No, make that a navy full of boatloads of money. I've heard $2 Trillion and more thrown around as the number, although I'm not sure how one determines what money is on the sideline and what money is just outside the market.

I keep going back to the technicians way of looking at things - why not, nothing else makes sense and I don't know anything about reading the entrails of chickens - to try and get some tiny bit of clarity here. My latest voodoo technical interest is Fibonacci retracement.

Note that I'm not espousing the theory, just tossing it out for discussion.

Anyway, current discussions and prognostications I follow elsewhere have discussed the potential for a Fibonacci retracement upward from 700-ish on the S&P, or, if it breaks that level going down, then from around 650. We're talking a quick, violent, and pretty massive upside - not back to where we were but close - 30% being the minimum. But it's generally seen as something that won't stick around for long.

And that last little bit is the one that has me wondering if this thing we're in right now might not have a bigger downside. Something like 1929 - 32 in which the market goes down about 50% (sound familiar?), then has a rally in which significant retracement takes place, followed by several years of a continual slide that goes past the previous low. Far enough past the previous low to make one fondly recall the days when we were down by only 50%.

I can deal with where we're at now. Don't like it - but I can deal. And I can handle a lengthy "L" shape on the recovery with an eventual, if very gradual, clawback upward. Like everyone else I've lost ground, years worth of it, but I'm still okay here and even a little lower. But the prospect of something like 1930-1936-ish is disturbing. '29 was bad, but the stuff that came later was worse.
You posted your prediction on March 3rd. Your technical analysis appears to be accurate at this point in time. Interesting to see what's next.
TheSweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #144
Give me a forum ...

There's this (and a Grain of Salt):

6 reasons I'm calling a bottom and a new bull

Quote:
OK, so you're one of millions of investors impatiently waiting on the sidelines, sitting with $2.5 trillion cash under your mattress, waiting for the right moment, that signal screaming: "Bottom's in, start buying!" Yes, it'll go down again, but the bottom's in, thanks to a great March, possibly the third best month since 1950, so it's time to jump back in and buy, buy, buy!
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That's about right. The market of the last 18 months has pretty much busted my original FIRE plans, but now that it's happened, pulling out pretty much guarantees they remain busted. So my decision is to just let what's still invested ride and hope for the best.
Sure, there will be downs as well as ups, but I am optimistic and hope there will be more ups than downs in the coming year. I am not pulling out either... no way! In fact, I might rebalance pretty soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
5274 by 9/2/2009. Final bottom for the DOW in 2010 at 2755.
Please provide your analysis or methods to come up with the number and date.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
.. So my decision is to just let what's still invested ride and hope for the best.
That's the same approach as mine - just let it ride.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Nostradamus.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Ask the Magic Eight Ball a Question
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #150

Quote:
At this point faith in the recovery will evaporate and with it the stock market prices as they collapse in the fourth quarter to a new bear market low. The ability of spending a few trillion dollars will come as a process that was able to defer but not prevent the implosion of 50 trillion plus in imploding debt assets. However, for a time I think we will be better...
Placing a stake in the glass ceiling.....
I hereby declare I think the top is in at 10,119.47

We are now here, the 4th quarter from here on out to my perspective is getting positively scary.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I asked this question..."what is the stock market bottom for 2009"
The responses were
1. No way
2. Outlook not so good
3. No way

Hmmmmmmm...2 out of 3 ain't bad...name that artist!

I'll arbitrarily say...on Dec 31, 2009, the DOW at close of business, will be 9658.
That's a special number for me.
How's that for a WAG? What do I know?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's a special number for me.
I wish you were four days younger.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Placing a stake in the glass ceiling.....
I hereby declare I think the top is in at 10,119.47

We are now here, the 4th quarter from here on out to my perspective is getting positively scary.
RM, I know most of the time you're right on the money. I for one am very glad the Dow just went above your #.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

I think I voted for 6000. How wrong!! (unless it shots down at the end of the year....)
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote