Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Same for us, and we qualify. Bunch of people over at bogleheads are having same issue and they qualify. Guess we have to wait our turn.
Glad I'm not the only one! Got my first check $1,200 (paper), then did not get the second ($600, and status not available). And have not yet gotten 3rd (status not available).
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2021, 08:13 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
I'm not one to make predictions, but I really don't think you have to worry about this happening.
Yeah, maybe, but I would never have guessed that the government would just tell me I didn't have to pay back $11,000 of subsidy either.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
You can claim the stimulus payment from January 2021 that you didn't receive when you file your 2020 return, but not the 3rd payment that others are now receiving based on their 2019 or 2020 returns. There is no place on the 2020 return to claim the 3rd payment. But, the IRS will look again at filed and processed 2020 returns between July 15th and September 1st and if you qualify, will then send you the third payment. If you don't qualify based on your 2019 or 2020 income but do based on your 2021 return, you can claim your payment when you file your 2021 return a year from now.

Well, that's lovely. So, because of some IRS screw-up, I may have to wait another FULL YEAR to get the third stimulus payment? Unbelievable. Good thing I don't really need the money to pay my bills, as some folks do. I absolutely DO qualify, and I got the first stimulus payment as a direct deposit, so they have all my info..........
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:15 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Glad I'm not the only one! Got my first check $1,200 (paper), then did not get the second ($600, and status not available). And have not yet gotten 3rd (status not available).

exact same thing with me........
Old 03-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Well, that's lovely. So, because of some IRS screw-up, I may have to wait another FULL YEAR to get the third stimulus payment? Unbelievable. Good thing I don't really need the money to pay my bills, as some folks do. I absolutely DO qualify, and I got the first stimulus payment as a direct deposit, so they have all my info..........
Don't give up yet. I have not received this 3rd stimulus either but I understand that there are more payments being sent out.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Don't give up yet. I have not received this 3rd stimulus either but I understand that there are more payments being sent out.

Yes, I'm sure that's true, but I never got the second one either, so it seems to me that IRS has a problem finding my direct deposit information, for whatever reason. You would think that after several months of nothing happening, they would have just mailed me a check (for the second one).
Old 03-20-2021, 04:44 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

The IRS Get my Payment site was updated overnight. I was getting the Status Unavailable message yesterday but just now it said my payment will be "mailed" on March 26. I got my first 2 stimulus payments by direct deposit, I don't know why this payment will be mailed which will add 2 weeks to the time I receive it because the USPS is so slow here. But anyway I know I am suppose to get it.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:50 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The IRS Get my Payment site was updated overnight. I was getting the Status Unavailable message yesterday but just now it said my payment will be "mailed" on March 26. I got my first 2 stimulus payments by direct deposit, I don't know why this payment will be mailed which will add 2 weeks to the time I receive it because the USPS is so slow here. But anyway I know I am suppose to get it.
Can you post the official link to this site, so I don't use any scam sites?
My DGF didn't receive her stimulus monies yet and filed electronically but did owe monies.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:16 AM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Us too!

Quote:
Wohoo! Us too. They also updated our address . (We moved and told the IRS in January after they mailed the January check to the old address) Don't ask why they can't direct deposit it like the first check....

Just glad it is being sent to our current address. USPS failed to forward a lot of our mail and after over 3 months the new owners finally told a neighbor who texted my husband in late January. Fortunately we are only about 90 minutes away from the old house and had a final visit to the old dentist in early February so we picked up the stack. I also left a note on one of the three pieces of mail that the current owners should have kept telling them to write a note on misdelivered mail to have it properly forwarded.

Postal service is slow enough, glad it is at least headed to the right address.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 06:55 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
My DGF didn't receive her stimulus monies yet and filed electronically but did owe monies.
irs.gov/getmypayment
Old 03-20-2021, 07:02 AM   #151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

Like harllee, ours finally showed up on get my payment overnight. Scheduled to be deposited in our account on the 24th.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:39 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Like harllee, ours finally showed up on get my payment overnight. Scheduled to be deposited in our account on the 24th.
Same. So we have 1) direct deposit, 2) a check, 3) direct deposit for the three stimuli.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
“There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 07:48 AM   #153
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Same. So we have 1) direct deposit, 2) a check, 3) direct deposit for the three stimuli.
Same here. I'm sure there is a simple, straightforward and completely logical explanation.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

First stimulus was direct deposit, second was a debit card. Third time, the IRS web site says payment will be mailed March 26th, not sure if debit card or check. Still waiting to file 2020, since I'll get a bit back due to the covid relief bill's change to no claw back for ACA subsidies for 2020, and Turbo Tax still doesn't handle that.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #155

Quote:

Well, the good news for me is that "get my payment" finally shows our third stimulus check as being scheduled for direct deposit on 3/24. The BAD news is that the bank account number they show is NOT correct...........I have never had an account with that number! Aarrgh!! They have our correct account number, because that is where our first stimulus checks were deposited some months ago. Here is what they say will happen next:

"If your bank information is invalid or the account has been closed, the bank will return your payment to the IRS and we will mail it to you by check at the address we have on file."

Sooooo.....now I get to wait a while and see if the check does eventually show up in the mail. The saga continues......
Old 03-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
irs.gov/getmypayment
Thanks both.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #157

Quote:
Well, the good news for me is that "get my payment" finally shows our third stimulus check as being scheduled for direct deposit on 3/24. The BAD news is that the bank account number they show is NOT correct...........I have never had an account with that number! Aarrgh!! They have our correct account number, because that is where our first stimulus checks were deposited some months ago. Here is what they say will happen next:

"If your bank information is invalid or the account has been closed, the bank will return your payment to the IRS and we will mail it to you by check at the address we have on file."

Sooooo.....now I get to wait a while and see if the check does eventually show up in the mail. The saga continues......

If I were you I would take any evidence I have and report that to the bank. If it turns out to be a good bank account number and the check is deposited, you may be in for a long time trying to correct that. I'm curious how a direct deposit is Identified when it gets to the bank. Even if it has a name, it may be the computer only looks at the number.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:31 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you used a tax preparation service such as H&R Block or similar, it is my understanding that they set up a temporary bank account with a different number in order to facilitate the payment of their fee and/or provide refund advance loans. That may be why you are seeing a different number.

This was a known issue with the first round of stimulus payments. The IRS and the affected tax preparation services assert that they have fixed the issue in this latest round of payments, but the fix may be as you describe - a bounce back to the IRS and then a paper check to you.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:24 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
If you used a tax preparation service such as H&R Block or similar, it is my understanding that they set up a temporary bank account with a different number in order to facilitate the payment of their fee and/or provide refund advance loans. That may be why you are seeing a different number.

This was a known issue with the first round of stimulus payments. The IRS and the affected tax preparation services assert that they have fixed the issue in this latest round of payments, but the fix may be as you describe - a bounce back to the IRS and then a paper check to you.

OK, thanks for the information. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading something about this. We use TaxAct for our taxes, and have done so for several years. Our bank account number has not changed for years, either. The odd thing is that we got the first stimulus payment as a direct deposit without any issues. So it's unclear to me what got messed up after that to cause them to lose our correct bank account information.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:29 PM   #160

Got my hopes up. Checked irs.gov/getmypayment today. Still 'status unavailable'. Wahhhh!!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote