Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Change of plans. Our 12 year old Samsung fridge died so our combined $1,200 in stimulus money will go to buy a new LG fridge.

We recently bought an LG fridge with the newer linear compressor technology and it runs so much quieter than our old fridge.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The recovery rebate credit is an advance on your 2020 tax credits, but they had to guess how much you would be entitled to since nobody has filed a 2020 return yet, so they based that guess on your 2018/2019 return. The IRS chose which year to use (generally, the most recent one they had processed). You didn't have any input into that, and you can't use your 2019 numbers to claim the credit now.

Since you didn't get any of the rebate in advance, you will figure your actual credit based on your actual 2020 income when you file your 2020 tax return this year.
Thank you so much for helping us on this. From what you've said previously, it seems like Ill get the first rebate via my tax return. Its a little confusing how they use 2018 and 2019 returns, since some people qualify from either one.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:02 AM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Here's something about the second stimulus payment as well. My father died in November of 2020, before the 2nd stimulus payment was announced. I assumed he would not get the 2nd stimulus. I have closed the bank account he received the 1st stimulus already and checking on line, it didn't say one way or the other. However, when I pulled up instruction for line 30 on the Form 1040 we are discussing, I saw that it said he is. Here's the language;

The instructions I found this on is here;
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

It is a draft, so maybe it will change?
He is included. DF also died in 2020 during the summer.

No, I don’t expect changes for eligibility, the law spelled it out this time.

I’m the executor for DF’s estate and will be filing his taxes and dealing with a refund.

As far as taxes are concerned it doesn’t matter when during the year you died. It’s always been that way.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Thank you so much for helping us on this. When I file my 2020 taxes, I will not owe any taxes, so does that mean I will get back the first rebate?
The worksheet on page 59 of the draft version of the instruction uses one's 2020 AGI to determine how much of the (untaken) two stimulus payments one can claim on Line 30 of form 1040. It wouldn't really matter if you owe any taxes although it isn't clear to me if you meant owing no taxes because your income was too low or because you had a tax liability but had enough other credits to offset it.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you so much for helping us on this. When I file my 2020 taxes, I will not owe any taxes, so does that mean I will get back the first rebate?
Yes, youíll get a refund.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:39 AM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone. I edited my response in post #182 before reading the other responses, as my question had already been answered by Cathy, I had just forgotten.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you so much for helping us on this. From what you've said previously, it seems like Ill get the first rebate via my tax return. Its a little confusing how they use 2018 and 2019 returns, since some people qualify from either one.
Well, when the first stimulus occurred, thatís all the info they had. Not everyone had filed their 2019 taxes even. No way to know 2020.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #188
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Several folks posted that the IRS site said they were scheduled to have their check mailed on the 6th. Have any of you received it yet?

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #189

Looked at informed delivery for today's mail and still not there.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

I got mine on the 7th.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #191
Give me a forum ...

My snake-bit friend, the one who always has all these weird, lousy things happen to him, got his check last week, the same time he got his driving privileges back after they had been suspended for a year due to medical condition. Maybe he shakes the snake-bit label in 2021?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #192

Quote:
I got mine on the 7th.
Paper check? Did the IRS site say scheduled for mailing on the 6th?
Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Several folks posted that the IRS site said they were scheduled to have their check mailed on the 6th. Have any of you received it yet?
Was there some kind of sort by income to get it to those needing it more sooner?
Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #194
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Was there some kind of sort by income to get it to those needing it more sooner?
Not that I know. Like you, Iím still waiting.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:21 AM   #195

I re-read it, and noticed a missing comma...."...more, sooner", not the cringe-worthy "more sooner", hehehe!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not my FIL, I had checked for him on the IRS site, and have been checking his mail...
Old 01-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #197
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Paper check? Did the IRS site say scheduled for mailing on the 6th?
Are you sure you're expecting a paper check and not an EIP debit card? I don't know if the site tells you what they sent on the 6th or just that they sent you something. If it doesn't explicitly say "check", then keep an eye out for an envelope from "Money Network Cardholder Services" as well.

The card looks like this.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #198
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Mine said scheduled to be mailed on the 6th and received check (not debit card) today. Think yours and others who had similar IRS notice is probably just a USPS mail delay and you'll likely receive it soon.
bpgdeg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #199
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still waiting for my stimulus money. IRS says it was mailed on the 6th but no luck yet.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #200
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got today's mail...no check yet!
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote