Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #221
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoAndy View Post
Same thing here. Received direct deposit last time. This time, website said a paper check will be mailed on January 6. Nothing has arrived yet.
Ours arrived as a card, in an envelope that my hubby almost threw out as junk mail! Our envelope has a clear window in the upper left that shows "Economic Impact Payment Card" followed by an address, and below that, on the envelope itself, in red, it says "Not a bill or an advertisement. Important information about your Economic Impact Payment." Even with that information clearly printed, it still looks like junk mail (grin!)
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Same thing here. Received direct deposit last time. This time, website said a paper check will be mailed on January 6. Nothing has arrived yet.
Same here - not sure why the Direct Deposit was not used this time.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Informed Delivery shows a check will arrive today from the US Treasury. The IRS site said it was scheduled to be mailed on the 6th, so it only took 13 days to get here.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #224

Still nothing in my informed delivery today. 13 and counting.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Informed Delivery shows a check will arrive today from the US Treasury. The IRS site said it was scheduled to be mailed on the 6th, so it only took 13 days to get here.
Same here
Old 01-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #226

Treasury check is here! Mailed on the 6th.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

debit card is here!!!

Oh, my 19yo does not get a $600? She turned 18yo Feb 2020, graduated high school and entered junior college (full time) in 2020, filed her own 1040EZ in 2020 for a part time job. We claimed her as a dependent in our married filing joint tax return and she claimed herself as a dependent on her tax return. Should she get her own $600?
Old 01-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #228
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Perhaps sent by carrier turtle (Apologies to Arlo Givens - JUSTIFIED.)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKickItForward View Post
debit card is here!!!

Oh, my 19yo does not get a $600? She turned 18yo Feb 2020, graduated high school and entered junior college (full time) in 2020, filed her own 1040EZ in 2020 for a part time job. We claimed her as a dependent in our married filing joint tax return and she claimed herself as a dependent on her tax return. Should she get her own $600?
If you claimed her as a dependent on your 2019 tax return, then no, she doesn't get a $600 payment of her own.

There's no such thing as a 1040EZ any more, so hopefully she filed a regular 1040 for tax-year 2019 and checked the box that said someone else could claim her as a dependent.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unfortunately, Plastic, not Paper
Old 01-20-2021, 11:34 AM   #230

Unfortunately, Plastic, not Paper

Looks like I got the plastic.

I figured I'd just go to an in-network ATM at a 7-11 (no fee) and pull out cash, then drop it in the drive-thru ATM at my megabank.

But it's going to require two days of effort, because the limit is $1,000 per day [ https://www.eipcard.com/cardholder-agreement ]

I hope the ATM at the 7-11 is outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg damncard.jpg (82.7 KB, 182 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Wonder of wonders, our card appeared yesterday. Got the full $1200. I went ahead and activated it. Will try to put into the bank today. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #232

DW got the direct deposit 2 weeks ago. I just got the EIP Card today - and promptly went through the rigmarole on EIPCard.com to transfer the balance to my checking account.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thanks, I did this today. Lotta screwing around, but beats going to the bank.

Five days later, The money is STILL not in my credit union account. I think these turkeys are hanging on to it to leverage it.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #234
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
If you claimed her as a dependent on your 2019 tax return, then no, she doesn't get a $600 payment of her own.

There's no such thing as a 1040EZ any more, so hopefully she filed a regular 1040 for tax-year 2019 and checked the box that said someone else could claim her as a dependent.
That is such a bummer because she literally is dependent on us as she attends school full time, and young adults like her EAT A LOT !!!

So, if she filed as INDEPENDENT in 2020 on her tax return, she would have gotten her own $600?

Sorry, she did her own tax online with Turbo Tax because her return only consisted of that part time job, no dividends, no capital gains, etc, I just assumed it was 1040 EZ, what I did decades ago when I was in her shoes as a junior college student.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That is such a bummer because she literally is dependent on us as she attends school full time, and young adults like her EAT A LOT !!!

So, if she filed as INDEPENDENT in 2020 on her tax return, she would have gotten her own $600?

Sorry, she did her own tax online with Turbo Tax because her return only consisted of that part time job, no dividends, no capital gains, etc, I just assumed it was 1040 EZ, what I did decades ago when I was in her shoes as a junior college student.
Yes, if she files as not your dependent in 2020 then she would qualify for both the original $1200 EIP1 and the additional $600 EIP2 if she did not receive them in advance and assuming she otherwise met the basic qualifications for the EIPs (SSN and AGI<$75K are the main ones).

Even if she has already filed, she may be able to file an amended return with Form 1040-X. There are many things one can amend but some things cannot be amended. I am not sure whether or not or how she can change that particular checkbox on her return.

But note this: whether or not she is your dependent is up to the facts and circumstances. It is not something you or she gets to choose. In the case of young adults the rules are complex and the facts and circumstances can be complicated. Look in the IRS instructions, starting with the rules for qualifying children and then continuing on to the rules for qualifying relatives to see if she is your qualifying child, qualifying relative, or neither.

If she didn't provide more than half her own support in 2020, it looks like she'd be your qualifying relative for 2020, but check the IRS flowcharts to be sure. If she is your qualifying relative according to the IRS flowcharts, you cannot enable her to qualify for the EIPs - even if you don't claim her, the fact that she was able to be claimed disqualifies her.

College students like your daughter did sort of get left out in terms of these EIPs. I have a college-aged daughter in the same situation. There is some discussion in the new administration of making this group of people eligible for the additional stimulus payments; we'll have to see what the new laws say.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:40 PM   #236

Quote:

Just to be clear, has she actually filed her 2020 tax return? That is the one that's due on April 15, 2021. Practically nobody has filed those yet because the IRS won't accept e-filed returns until Feb 12 this year. The returns that you and she filed during 2020 were actually for 2019. When discussing tax returns it's usually easier if you refer to the tax year rather than the actual date you filed.

If neither of you has yet filed your 2020 returns, then it's true that if you do not claim her as a dependent on your MFJ return, and she files her own return without checking the "someone can claim me as a dependent" box, then she would get both stimulus payments as part of her 2020 refund. But in order to do that legally, she has to qualify as independent by providing more than half her own support during 2020. If she has a 529 account that she's using to pay for college, or if she received money from someone other than you (i.e. a grandparent), or if her job pays very well, then it might be plausible to claim she's providing more than half her own support, but most likely she isn't and she is therefore not entitled to either of the 2020 stimulus payments.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:19 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Speaking of slow mail. We had a Medicare check mailed from Fidelity on the 6th so it would get to Medicare by the 11th. Normally Medicare cashes that check within a day or two of the scheduled delivery date, but we didn't see the check cashed until today the 20th, so something is much slower than usual.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:51 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

@cathy63 makes a good point about which tax years. You were probably meaning her 2019 return that she filed a year ago based on the timing that @cathy63 refers to.

My answer above @cathy's was assuming you were referring to her 2020 return and that she had just filed it now (people can file 2020 paper returns now).

And @cathy63's point about referring to the tax year rather than the year it was filed does make it easer, because that way we know which rules apply.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:14 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
My DF finally got his check for $600.
It was scheduled to be mailed and showed up today.
I'll put it in the bank for him Thursday.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:36 AM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Just to be clear, has she actually filed her 2020 tax return? That is the one that's due on April 15, 2021. Practically nobody has filed those yet because the IRS won't accept e-filed returns until Feb 12 this year. The returns that you and she filed during 2020 were actually for 2019. When discussing tax returns it's usually easier if you refer to the tax year rather than the actual date you filed.

If neither of you has yet filed your 2020 returns, then it's true that if you do not claim her as a dependent on your MFJ return, and she files her own return without checking the "someone can claim me as a dependent" box, then she would get both stimulus payments as part of her 2020 refund. But in order to do that legally, she has to qualify as independent by providing more than half her own support during 2020. If she has a 529 account that she's using to pay for college, or if she received money from someone other than you (i.e. a grandparent), or if her job pays very well, then it might be plausible to claim she's providing more than half her own support, but most likely she isn't and she is therefore not entitled to either of the 2020 stimulus payments.
DD still lives at home, we basically support her except she did pay for her own books and tuition at the local junior college. We are saving her 529 until she transfer to the university in maybe another two years.

You are correct - when I was referring to her filing her taxes last year, I meant in March 2020, she filed her 2019 taxes because of her part time job. This year (2021) coming up in April, she will once again file her taxes for 2020 because of her part time job.