Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2021, 11:28 PM   #261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
The IRS site also said that mine was scheduled to be mailed on the 6th, but it still hasn't arrived as of today, Jan 22nd. No word from USPS Informed Delivery either. At this point, I am expecting to have to claim it with my tax return. I usually file as soon as possible, in late Jan/early Feb, but may wait a little this year, to make absolutely sure the check isn't going to arrive in the mail.
The card arrived in the mail today. At last, I can move to a Caribbean island on the proceeds

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 12:02 AM   #262
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The card arrived in the mail today. At last, I can move to a Caribbean island on the proceeds
Glad to hear that you got your stimulus money, at last!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:22 AM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
The IRS site also said that mine was scheduled to be mailed on the 6th, but it still hasn't arrived as of today, Jan 22nd. No word from USPS Informed Delivery either. At this point, I am expecting to have to claim it with my tax return. I usually file as soon as possible, in late Jan/early Feb, but may wait a little this year, to make absolutely sure the check isn't going to arrive in the mail.
IRS is not accepting returns (or not starting processing) until Feb 12, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-ta...uring-pandemic
Old 01-26-2021, 01:27 AM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
IRS is not accepting returns (or not starting processing) until Feb 12, 2021

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-ta...uring-pandemic
That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad to hear that you got your stimulus money, at last!
I don't need it, like most here, if not all. It's nice to have it though and, when the expectation has been set, you kind of wonder where it is!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
How interesting! Seems like they knew there was a card inside and just assumed it was from the Treasury. The EIP envelopes look more like this:

Rather than the card, I see USPS Informed Delivery has the check! So no need for ATM gyrations will be required.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #266

I wonder if they are sending out cards, as an effort to get people to spend it rather than bank it?
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:19 AM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I wonder if they are sending out cards, as an effort to get people to spend it rather than bank it?
I haven't seen that stated anywhere, but it makes sense and was sort of my "guess." Get that money into circulation!

Of course, many of us here will do what I did - just put the card's value into the checking account. We're not really part of the problem (didn't lose a j*b or other revenue) and not really part of the solution(?) - spending money, er, Blowing That Dough! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:34 PM   #268

Quote:
The reason the government gave for sending out debit cards is that it's faster than processing and sending checks to everyone. I don't know if they meant that it's actually faster to manufacture a debit card, or just that splitting the workload between MetaBank and the Treasury Dept increases the throughput.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #269
Administrator

Remember when government checks were green computer punch cards?
Old 01-26-2021, 01:31 PM   #270

One of our children who lives overseas received the preceding stimulus check via direct deposit to their checking account. This time their check came to our house in the mail. No debit card, a check.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The reason the government gave for sending out debit cards is that it's faster than processing and sending checks to everyone. I don't know if they meant that it's actually faster to manufacture a debit card, or just that splitting the workload between MetaBank and the Treasury Dept increases the throughput.
Makes little sense to me. How could a piece of plastic with all those digits be easier/faster than a check or DP? But what do I know? I never worked in gummint. To me, the whole concept is much stranger than how the money arrives. I didn't need the last stimulus and I don't need this one. (Please! No offers to take it off my hands. )Many folks here have stated the same thing. I honestly don't think I'll spend the money in a way that "stimulates" either. It's just "In There" like the spaghetti sauce commercial, but it's my checking account.

My kids and GKs will likely pay for it (unless they change the inheritance tax, heh, heh.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #272

Quote:
With lower income people, having an actual bank account is not a guarantee. There are a very large number of un-banked or under-banked folks, due to the costs to maintain a checking account when you have only a small balance, or credit requirements these days for basic accounts.

So the cards don't place the burden of requiring the person to have a place to deposit the check, or paying the exorbitant check-cashing fees.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:35 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Remember when government checks were green computer punch cards?
Yeah, they put the existing paper handling designs into work (from the keypunch machines). Back in the day when IBM had a lot of the contracts. Probably too easy to counterfeit.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets

Not complaining here. But with year 2020 stimulus check 2400+1200=3600, that had exceeded our estimated income limit for ACA, may have to give back some $$ when we file tax next month
Old 01-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucerin View Post
Not complaining here. But with year 2020 stimulus check 2400+1200=3600, that had exceeded our estimated income limit for ACA, may have to give back some $$ when we file tax next month
The stimulus checks don't count as income. They don't add to your AGI.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:00 PM   #276
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You beat me to it, Audrey. These non-taxable stimulus checks, called "Recovery Rebate Credits," are part of a broader category called, "Payments and refundable credits," as described on Line 32 of Form 1040.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #277
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
You beat me to it, Audrey. These non-taxable stimulus checks, called "Recovery Rebate Credits," are part of a broader category called, "Payments and refundable credits," as described on Line 32 of Form 1040.
NICE!!!
THANKS guys
Old 01-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucerin View Post
NICE!!!
THANKS guys
No problem. Your bill is in the mail! Oh, and it's NOT tax deductible.

Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Thanks for sharing. You made me open up the 1040 instructions and look this up. Looks like since both DW and I got both payments, I don't need to do anything when I fill out my taxes. FYI, it appears to be Line 30 and not 32 tho. No biggie. Thanks..
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #280
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
No problem. Your bill is in the mail! Oh, and it's NOT tax deductible.
LOL
For once, we get a break from income/tax