Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2021, 04:32 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Checked my CU account and nothing yet. Maybe the "check is in the mail".

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2021, 04:40 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ours hit Monday. For now it will delay when I need to transfer funds into the checking account.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:40 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

I checked the IRS Payment site for the stimulus for DF's account.

And got the "Status not available" message for the 2nd stimulus. Got the correct info for the first stimulus. From what I read this means it's reconciled via his 2020 tax return.

CNBC reports that:
Quote:
And while many Americans have received their second stimulus payments as of Tuesday night, the IRS now says that people receiving the Payment Status #2 message on the Get My Payment tool will have to wait until they file their 2020 taxes to get the payment, even if they received the first stimulus check with no issues.
Apparently, DF who died in 2020 after receiving part of the first stimulus is still eligible for the second. The whole issue of who qualifies was apparently resolved to whomever did not die before Jan 1, 2020 due to how taxes are routinely handled for a deceased person in the year they die.
Quote:
A spokesperson for Grassley, the chief architect of the tax portion of the GOP’s plan, said lawmakers want to make the tax treatment of stimulus checks cohere with how the tax code normally treats the dead.

“It’s consistent with ordinary tax rules for tax benefits and tax filing obligations” for the deceased, said Michael Zona. “In the year of death, one final regular tax return is due and all tax benefits are allowed regardless of when in the year the taxpayer died.”
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-checks-391866
Old 01-06-2021, 06:31 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I think you are correct, although I note that as of the 1/4/21 update the H&R Block tax package does not do that.
So, not sure what you mean, but I go in person to H&R office to get my taxes done. You are saying they don't handle the stimulus tax event for my 2020 taxes
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:39 AM   #125
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
So, not sure what you mean, but I go in person to H&R office to get my taxes done. You are saying they don't handle the stimulus tax event for my 2020 taxes
Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the H&R Block computer program does not yet account for the Cares Act 2 payment that people are receiving now. That is, the Recovery Rebate Credit amount calculation in the program currently only takes into account the first $1200 per person payment that we either did not or only partially received last year. I expect they'll fix that soon in an update. I expect it's a little complicated because there is a different upper limit for the phaseout this time ($174k AGI for MFJ versus $198k last time).
Old 01-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I checked the IRS Payment site for the stimulus for DF's account.

And got the "Status not available" message for the 2nd stimulus. Got the correct info for the first stimulus. From what I read this means it's reconciled via his 2020 tax return.

CNBC reports that:

Apparently, DF who died in 2020 after receiving part of the first stimulus is still eligible for the second. The whole issue of who qualifies was apparently resolved to whomever did not die before Jan 1, 2020 due to how taxes are routinely handled for a deceased person in the year they die.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...-checks-391866
Yes, the bill specifically says that payments for taxpayers who are deceased prior to January 1, 2020 should be calculated "in the same manner as if the valid identification number of such person was not included on the return of tax for such taxable year", which, when you unwind it far enough, turns out to be a long-winded way of saying they get $0. Since they only excluded people who died prior to 2020, those who died during 2020 are eligible.

I had also noticed that the earlier draft of the 1040 instructions for calculating the recovery rebate would allow the estate of anyone who died during 2020 to claim the payment if they hadn't received it. There had been some confusion about what should happen for people who had died in Q1 before the first stimulus check was sent out.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #127

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I meant that the H&R Block computer program does not yet account for the Cares Act 2 payment that people are receiving now. That is, the Recovery Rebate Credit amount calculation in the program currently only takes into account the first $1200 per person payment that we either did not or only partially received last year. I expect they'll fix that soon in an update. I expect it's a little complicated because there is a different upper limit for the phaseout this time ($174k AGI for MFJ versus $198k last time).
The 1040 draft instructions now include the second payment in the worksheet on page 59, which has expanded to cover a full page, so I'm sure H&R Block will implement it soon. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The 1040 draft instructions now include the second payment in the worksheet on page 59, which has expanded to cover a full page, so I'm sure H&R Block will implement it soon. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf
The second stimulus payment is based on your 2019 AGI as 2020 taxes have not yet been completed so you receive some payment as long as your AGI for 2019 is below the phaseout amount.

When you subsequently file your 2020 taxes the recovery tax credit is based on your 2020 tax form AGI but you don't have to pay anything you previously received even if your 2020 AGI is above the phaseout limit amount.

So the IRS recently indicated there is an issue that affected those who had filed their 2019 taxes through H&R Block and TurboTax in particular and says in general terms that some people may have to wait until they file their 2020 taxes to get the second stimulus payment, even if they received the first stimulus check with no issues.

So correct me if I'm wrong but if you don't get an advance stimulus payment that you may presently qualify for based on your 2019 AGI, if your 2020 AGI is higher and above the phase out level you won't qualify for any of the tax credit when you file your 2020 taxes?
bpgdeg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgdeg1234 View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong but if you don't get an advance stimulus payment that you may have presently qualified for based on your 2019 AGI, if your 2020 AGI is higher and above the phase out level you won't qualify for any of the tax credit when you file your 2020 taxes?
I believe that is correct. For credit your 2020 AGI determines the amount.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:34 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I believe that is correct. For credit your 2020 AGI determines the amount.
Thanks, that's very interesting...
Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I didn't know the draft version had just been changed. I saw the worksheet which, for me at least, is pretty simple. My 2020 AGI is (far) less than the $75k max for full $600 EIP-2 benefit (for a single). So I can post a $600 amount on Form 1040, Line 30, and offset the amount I expect to owe and get a refund, as soon as I get all my other forms in the next 4-5 weeks.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:49 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

We got our $1200 on 1-1-21. Wife spent it on 12-28-20.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:23 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Wow, she moves faster than light!
Old 01-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantman View Post
I checked the IRS website (where's my payment) and it said ours is scheduled to be mailed on January 6. We got the first stimulus by direct deposit. I'm wondering why they chose to mail this one?
Just checked https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment with Firefox and it gave an error. Checked with Chrome and it said the same thing...mailed January 6 (today). My last one was also mailed (never put my routing / account number on the IRS form).
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Taking a spending hit in 2020 to make 2021's income look better!
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Got an amount substantially less than $1200 (600x2). I guess I will consider it a refund of my previously paid income tax. Thank you American people!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Just checked https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment with Firefox and it gave an error. Checked with Chrome and it said the same thing...mailed January 6 (today). My last one was also mailed (never put my routing / account number on the IRS form).
Thanks for update. Did the site indicate scheduled to be mailed Jan 6 (today) or was actually mailed today?
Old 01-06-2021, 03:38 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. I thought that was what you were referring too but I wanted to make sure. I do know the people here in my rural area at H&R don't seem to do some of the really technical tax issues that come up. That is why I was wondering.

Thanks so much I'm little slow when it come to some of this stuff.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Thanks. I thought that was what you were referring too but I wanted to make sure. I do know the people here in my rural area at H&R don't seem to do some of the really technical tax issues that come up. That is why I was wondering.

Thanks so much I'm little slow when it come to some of this stuff.
I agree. I've never felt comfortable doing my own taxes. They have been and remain fairly complicated (I pay FED AND two different states!) Bummer, so worth what I pay which seems like a lot.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

^ yes I could do my own and save some money but I can afford to have it done. I dislike dealing with taxes so I'm very happy to have someone else do them. I save other ways on things I do that some have to pay for. It doesn't cost me that much and I dont have to stress over doing them.