Stimulus $600

Here's something about the second stimulus payment as well. My father died in November of 2020, before the 2nd stimulus payment was announced. I assumed he would not get the 2nd stimulus. I have closed the bank account he received the 1st stimulus already and checking on line, it didn't say one way or the other. However, when I pulled up instruction for line 30 on the Form 1040 we are discussing, I saw that it said he is. Here's the language;

Generally, you are eligible to claim the recovery rebate credit if in 2020 you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, weren't a dependent of another taxpayer, and have a valid social security number. This includes someone who died in 2020, if you are preparing a return for that person.

The instructions I found this on is here;
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-dft/i1040gi--dft.pdf

It is a draft, so maybe it will change?

Here's something about the second stimulus payment as well. My father died in November of 2020, before the 2nd stimulus payment was announced. I assumed he would not get the 2nd stimulus. I have closed the bank account he received the 1st stimulus already and checking on line, it didn't say one way or the other. However, when I pulled up instruction for line 30 on the Form 1040 we are discussing, I saw that it said he is. Here's the language;

That is a draft, but the language is also in the final instructions at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf. Assuming your father otherwise qualified (had a valid SSN, etc.), then whomever files his 2020 Form 1040 can put $600 on line 30 for him.

You can confirm this by going to the FAQs on EIP2 at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/second-eip-faqs (search for "deceased"):

"With regard to eligible individuals who died in 2020, the Recovery Rebate Credit may be claimed on line 30 of their 2020 tax return. Please refer to the instructions for the 2020 Form 1040 for more information."

If there is a refund on his 2020 return, it will go to his spouse if they are still living and they file MFJ. If he was single, then there is a procedure and form to fill out for an executor to claim a refund. I don't recall the form offhand, but it's pretty straightforward.

Technically his $600 EIP2 should become part of his estate and should be distributed according to the terms of his will.

Last edited:
So in reading thru the draft from the IRS provided here in this thread, it states that the recovery rebate credit is based on your 2018 or 2019 tax return. Do you have a choice which one to use? I didnt get the first stimulus check since I was still in the process of filing my 2019 tax return. Based on 2018 return, I wasnt eligible, but based on my 2019 return I was. Can I file for the first stimulus payment based on my 2019 return?

So in reading thru the draft from the IRS provided here in this thread, it states that the recovery rebate credit is based on your 2018 or 2019 tax return. Do you have a choice which one to use? I didnt get the first stimulus check since I was still in the process of filing my 2019 tax return. Based on 2018 return, I wasnt eligible, but based on my 2019 return I was. Can I file for the first stimulus payment based on my 2019 return?

The recovery rebate credit is an advance on your 2020 tax credits, but they had to guess how much you would be entitled to since nobody has filed a 2020 return yet, so they based that guess on your 2018/2019 return. The IRS chose which year to use (generally, the most recent one they had processed). You didn't have any input into that, and you can't use your 2019 numbers to claim the credit now.

Since you didn't get any of the rebate in advance, you will figure your actual credit based on your actual 2020 income when you file your 2020 tax return this year.

The text of the latest covid relief act makes it clear that people who died during 2020 are eligible for the second payment. Since excluding your father would violate the law, I think you can rest assured that the IRS will not be modifying this part of the draft instructions.

Change of plans. Our 12 year old Samsung fridge died so our combined $1,200 in stimulus money will go to buy a new LG fridge.

We recently bought an LG fridge with the newer linear compressor technology and it runs so much quieter than our old fridge.

The recovery rebate credit is an advance on your 2020 tax credits, but they had to guess how much you would be entitled to since nobody has filed a 2020 return yet, so they based that guess on your 2018/2019 return. The IRS chose which year to use (generally, the most recent one they had processed). You didn't have any input into that, and you can't use your 2019 numbers to claim the credit now.

Since you didn't get any of the rebate in advance, you will figure your actual credit based on your actual 2020 income when you file your 2020 tax return this year.

Thank you so much for helping us on this. From what you've said previously, it seems like Ill get the first rebate via my tax return. Its a little confusing how they use 2018 and 2019 returns, since some people qualify from either one.

Last edited:

He is included. DF also died in 2020 during the summer.

No, I don’t expect changes for eligibility, the law spelled it out this time.

I’m the executor for DF’s estate and will be filing his taxes and dealing with a refund.

As far as taxes are concerned it doesn’t matter when during the year you died. It’s always been that way.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for helping us on this. When I file my 2020 taxes, I will not owe any taxes, so does that mean I will get back the first rebate?

The worksheet on page 59 of the draft version of the instruction uses one's 2020 AGI to determine how much of the (untaken) two stimulus payments one can claim on Line 30 of form 1040. It wouldn't really matter if you owe any taxes although it isn't clear to me if you meant owing no taxes because your income was too low or because you had a tax liability but had enough other credits to offset it.

Thanks everyone. I edited my response in post #182 before reading the other responses, as my question had already been answered by Cathy, I had just forgotten.

Thank you so much for helping us on this. From what you've said previously, it seems like Ill get the first rebate via my tax return. Its a little confusing how they use 2018 and 2019 returns, since some people qualify from either one.

Well, when the first stimulus occurred, that’s all the info they had. Not everyone had filed their 2019 taxes even. No way to know 2020.

Several folks posted that the IRS site said they were scheduled to have their check mailed on the 6th. Have any of you received it yet?

Looked at informed delivery for today's mail and still not there.

My snake-bit friend, the one who always has all these weird, lousy things happen to him, got his check last week, the same time he got his driving privileges back after they had been suspended for a year due to medical condition. Maybe he shakes the snake-bit label in 2021?

Several folks posted that the IRS site said they were scheduled to have their check mailed on the 6th. Have any of you received it yet?
Was there some kind of sort by income to get it to those needing it more sooner?

I re-read it, and noticed a missing comma...."...more, sooner", not the cringe-worthy "more sooner", hehehe!

Paper check? Did the IRS site say scheduled for mailing on the 6th?

Are you sure you're expecting a paper check and not an EIP debit card? I don't know if the site tells you what they sent on the 6th or just that they sent you something. If it doesn't explicitly say "check", then keep an eye out for an envelope from "Money Network Cardholder Services" as well.

The card looks like this.
card-dd29b25752d32d7d521bcd7eb5303494.png

Was there some kind of sort by income to get it to those needing it more sooner?
Mine said scheduled to be mailed on the 6th and received check (not debit card) today. Think yours and others who had similar IRS notice is probably just a USPS mail delay and you'll likely receive it soon.

Back
Top Bottom