Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2020, 02:11 PM   #261
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw on our local news that a website portal will become available April 17 where individuals can submit their direct deposit information for the stimulus check. We shall see . . .
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2020, 02:33 PM   #262

We received ours on the 13th.

Btw, I hurriedly e-filed our Fed on 3/30 so that the IRS would have our current bank info (we changed banks last May). Imagine my surprise when my 2019 refund was deposited less than 72 hours later. Wow! If they could only be that efficient all the time.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
Like many who have posted, I have had only ACH debits by the IRS for at least the last 3 years.

I went to the website link provided above (and in post #126) which is working as of 0530 EDT. I don't think it was operational yesterday. Anyway when I got in it showed they didn't have my bank acct. info. I verified things using my 2019 Line 8b (AGI) and amount owed. Then I was able to add my bank info. I went back in 30 minutes or so later and here is what it shows now.

Money needed to start small face-mask manufacturing plant and "black market barber shop" in my garage
Thank You
I went to the website but I was uncomfortable putting my info in. The website felt sketchy but I gotta say it is remarkable how quickly it was set up. Reading this and similar posts convinced me to add my info to enable direct deposit.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #264

So far nothing but coal in our stockings...............
(we haven't received fed refunds in years)
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by petestan View Post
I file taxes, but I never owe the federal government anything, nor do I get a refund. My source of income is dividends at the present time. I always owe the state money.

When I went to the stimulus website to add in my direct deposit info, it asks either what my refund amount was or the amount I owed. I tried entering my state owed, but got an error. I tried entering zero for federal and got an error.

Does this mean I will have to wait for a paper check? Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thank you.
Maybe the amount you owe is your tax liability regardless of what you paid in our how you handled any refund. Use that number. On my 2018 (1040), it was line 15 and it was titled "Total tax." I would try that number.
Old 04-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #266

Received the full stimulus direct deposit this morning.
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Yes!
Old 04-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #267
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes!

Received our joint filing full amount this morning via direct deposit. We had filed electronically in early February, Fed and State.
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #268
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wahoo, I got mine this morning! $1051.95 , which is just what I expected after using that calculator that somebody linked to above.
Good for you W2R! I am still waiting on mine. They have my bank info now so I should get it- $1200, very soon. At least I hope so.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve filed electronically for years but when I checked the IRS “Get my payment” link it stated we had to provide bank account info. Same with my FIL.
ceciledian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #270
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder if I will get a stimulus check. Im not eligible from my 2018 tax return, but from my 2019 return, I will be eligible for the full amount. It hasnt been filed yet; my tax accountant still has it and it wont be done for another week or so. Will they let you apply your 2019 federal tax return if its not filed until later?
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I wonder if I will get a stimulus check. Im not eligible from my 2018 tax return, but from my 2019 return, I will be eligible for the full amount. It hasnt been filed yet; my tax accountant still has it and it wont be done for another week or so. Will they let you apply your 2019 federal tax return if its not filed until later?
My understanding is that you won’t receive a payment now, but will receive a full credit when filing your 2020 taxes next year.
ProspectiveBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Got mine ... $1200 direct deposited. Kind a creepy though knowing that my checking account can get tapped into anytime the IRS want to .
Old 04-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #273

Keep getting "technical difficulties" notice when submitting my banking info. Now I am locked out for 24 hrs. No clue what is the problem. I did see that the zip code that I entered is different from what is on my tax return. It is the same zip code but on the return there is the extra - xxxx number and I didn't enter it that way. Maybe that's it. The only other thing I can think of is that I checked that I am getting a refund but entered 0 for the amount which is what is on line 21a that the instructions say to use. I overpaid and was due a refund but I applied it all to next yr's estimated taxes. I hope after 24 hrs in the penalty box I can figure it out. Otherwise, I guess I wait for the paper check. No big deal other than the frustration of this thing not working.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #274
Recycles dryer sheets

You're not the only one- I got this. After three times I'm locked out for 24 hours. Disappointing, but I'm not surprised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (50.5 KB, 40 views)
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
In my case, I can't get past the first screen that only asks for SSN, DOB, address, and zip. I know that I'm entering everything correctly, exactly as it appears on our return. But it says, "Payment Status Not Available According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility..." It never asks for AGI or anything else. Am I doing something wrong? We filed in 2018 with an amount due. Have not filed yet for 2019. I just want to enter bank info for us and DMIL so we can get the direct deposit.

I'm getting the same message, also filed in 2018 with amount due, have not filed 2019 yet.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Keep getting "technical difficulties" notice when submitting my banking info. Now I am locked out for 24 hrs. No clue what is the problem. I did see that the zip code that I entered is different from what is on my tax return. It is the same zip code but on the return there is the extra - xxxx number and I didn't enter it that way. Maybe that's it. The only other thing I can think of is that I checked that I am getting a refund but entered 0 for the amount which is what is on line 21a that the instructions say to use. I overpaid and was due a refund but I applied it all to next yr's estimated taxes. I hope after 24 hrs in the penalty box I can figure it out. Otherwise, I guess I wait for the paper check. No big deal other than the frustration of this thing not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
You're not the only one- I got this. After three times I'm locked out for 24 hours. Disappointing, but I'm not surprised.
I think that you are seeing the new message that replaces the previous "Payment Not Available" message. Apparently that was due to high traffic (although, they had a waiting room type of entry, so they should definitely have been able to control for that). Here's an article: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/irs-...-everyone.html

Quote:
In most cases, this happened because the system was overloaded, Luis Garcia, an IRS spokesperson, told CNBC Make It.

“What happened is instead of having an error message or a message saying the system is very busy, it just says your information isn’t in here, that was the default,” says Garcia. But that should be fixed now.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Unless next tax return he files as a non-dependent.
Thanks, that's what I thought.
He needs to stay as my dependent due to not earning enough for the ACA and FLA doesn't have medicaid expansion.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #278
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Good for you W2R! I am still waiting on mine. They have my bank info now so I should get it- $1200, very soon. At least I hope so.
That should do it! Maybe tomorrow or Friday.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #279
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks Jerry, but that number is also $0
petestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #280
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
My understanding is that you won’t receive a payment now, but will receive a full credit when filing your 2020 taxes next year.
Thanks. That kinda sucks. Not sure how thats supposed to help me now.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stimulus payment