Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #341
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
One thing I learned yesterday.... in order for them to do a direct deposit of your stimulus check you need to have had a federal income tax REFUND made to your bank account (in 2019 or 2018 I think).

I was blissfully thinking that they had my bank info since they took money out of my checking account for the whopping $250 that I owed for 2019 on 4/10/2020.... but alas unless it was a refund it doesn't work that way.

I went to the website and put in all my info and see the following today:
+1

Based on 2018, am eligible for partial payment, but will not eligible due to Roth conversion in 2019. Getting the “payment status unavailable” message.

Pb4uski, where did you put in info for refund, as I don’t see a fill in form on the get my payment Site. We also had to pay the last several years so thought they would use the same bank info used to pay the IRS.

Thanks
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2020, 03:39 PM   #342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
so question for the smart ones here, what happens if you get a deposit for a deceased person ? I guess it will still get spent to stimulate the economy. I didn't see anything on IRS site in the Corona Virus area. Anyone see an authoritative source with info on this ?
No, but I did see a Bloomberg article about it. One person said they asked the IRS about needing to return the $ and got no answer back. I also have this problem.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler75 View Post
+1

Based on 2018, am eligible for partial payment, but will not eligible due to Roth conversion in 2019. Getting the “payment status unavailable” message.

Pb4uski, where did you put in info for refund, as I don’t see a fill in form on the get my payment Site. We also had to pay the last several years so thought they would use the same bank info used to pay the IRS.

Thanks
They can't use an account that you previously authorized for direct debit only. It has to be specifically authorized for direct deposit.

On the Get My Payment site, you first enter your SSN, DoB, Address and ZIP. On the next screen, you will either get:
- a message such as the one you're seeing
- a screen asking for your tax return amounts and your bank info
- a Payment Status page

If you're stuck at the message, there's no way to move forward until the IRS resolves the issue on their side.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #344
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler75 View Post
+1

Thanks
https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment and click on the blue Get My Payment button

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #345
Give me a forum ...

My payment status is also unavailable.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #346

Tried again after my time out period. Same result. Tried entering my overpayment amount instead of 0, did not match their records. Tried 2018 return - did not match records. So the only thing that doesn't not match is the correct info from 2019 which isn't acceptable. Alrighty then.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

I checked our status yesterday and found that our payment had been deposited into an account that is not ours. I know it is not ours because a) the IRS provided the last four digits of the account and it did not match any of our accounts and b) our sizable tax refund for this year was also directed to another account. We have never given the IRS any direct deposit info so we are looking at tax fraud. I discovered the refund problem about 2 weeks ago and have filed the paperwork to report it. I strongly suspected the stimulus money would face a similar fate and unfortunately I was correct.

I have contacted our congressman's local office and I am getting some help from them in resolving this problem, however it will likely take months.
orchid55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #348
Recycles dryer sheets

Stimulus e payment arrived same day as tax refund.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #349

I got my $100 stimulus check 2 days ago. They obviously used my 2018 tax return when I was single and had too much income for a single person. I was married last year and sent my 2019 tax return in mid-February. I had to send in a paper 1040 so I knew it was going to take longer than if I filed electronically. Well . . . it did take longer. No $2400 for me.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #350

We filed earlier this year and owed money, and I guess they couldn't find the direct deposit info from *last* year, so had to fill out the form at irs.gov - no idea how long we'll have to wait...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #351
Give me a forum ...

Son/SIL small business PPP loan funded hours ago!!!
Old 04-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #352
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
They can't use an account that you previously authorized for direct debit only. It has to be specifically authorized for direct deposit.

On the Get My Payment site, you first enter your SSN, DoB, Address and ZIP. On the next screen, you will either get:
- a message such as the one you're seeing
- a screen asking for your tax return amounts and your bank info
- a Payment Status page

If you're stuck at the message, there's no way to move forward until the IRS resolves the issue on their side.
Thanks.... a great explanation why I can't see what others are talking about.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #353
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
My payment status is also unavailable.
They read this site, and realize you would just blow it
Old 04-17-2020, 01:03 AM   #354
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
I got my $100 stimulus check 2 days ago. They obviously used my 2018 tax return when I was single and had too much income for a single person. I was married last year and sent my 2019 tax return in mid-February. I had to send in a paper 1040 so I knew it was going to take longer than if I filed electronically. Well . . . it did take longer. No $2400 for me.
If you're still married and have a similar AGI this year, you'll likely get the remaining $2300 as a tax credit on your 2020 return you file about a year from now.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:06 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
If you're still married and have a similar AGI this year, you'll likely get the remaining $2300 as a tax credit on your 2020 return you file about a year from now.
Really? I hadn’t heard that but it sounds good. It would be even better if they catch it when they process my 2019 return.

Edit: Just saw this using a Google search

What if my recent income made me ineligible, but I anticipate being eligible because of a loss of income in 2020? Do I get a payment?

The plan does not help people in that circumstance now, but you may benefit once you file your 2020 taxes. That’s because the payment is technically an advance on a tax credit that is available for the entire year. So it will depend on how much you earn.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:48 AM   #356
Recycles dryer sheets

I added my banking info yesterday in the am. Took only a few minutes. It was accepted.

I checked the account this am. Nothing.

Would have thought it was all automated and would have been there today. Anyone know the timeline...

Thx

Wally
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:57 AM   #357
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
We always file jointly. Our income was over $150,000 in 2018 (and less than 199,000) but much less in 2019 (retirement year). I filed 2019 about 10 days ago. I'm assuming they used 2018's income and see a pending deposit from the IRS for exactly $1200 today. Any idea how (if they reduce by a percentage over $150,000; the deposit is exactly the amount of a 1 person stimulus? Seems a bit off. I would have expected $2400 (joint filing) times xx%=1954.50 or some such amount. Or will another $1200 be incoming in a day or so (if they used 2019 figures)?
In another post, I saw a married couple got TWO $1200 deposits (albeit on the same day). I wonder if my wife's got waylaid someplace and it will just magically show up. Has anybody else gotten TWO deposits? If so, same day or different days? Note, our account IS a joint account. Thanks
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:46 AM   #358
Give me a forum ...

Does someone have a link to add banking info. We just get the status message and no option to enter our info.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #359

I checked my status this morning. It just said they had my banking info and it showed the last 3 or 4 digits of the bank account for deposit and that I am eligible for payment. They don't have a date of deposit for me yet , but it is updated once a day. I guess I get it when they send it. Nothing else I can do now.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:35 AM   #360
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I checked my status this morning. It just said they had my banking info and it showed the last 3 or 4 digits of the bank account for deposit and that I am eligible for payment. They don't have a date of deposit for me yet , but it is updated once a day. I guess I get it when they send it. Nothing else I can do now.
I couldn't even get into the website yesterday, but was able this morning. I'm in the same boat as you.

At least they have my account number correct (or the last 4 digits anyway).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stim-status.jpg (79.3 KB, 32 views)
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stimulus payment