Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #361
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchid55 View Post
I checked our status yesterday and found that our payment had been deposited into an account that is not ours. I know it is not ours because a) the IRS provided the last four digits of the account and it did not match any of our accounts and b) our sizable tax refund for this year was also directed to another account. We have never given the IRS any direct deposit info so we are looking at tax fraud. I discovered the refund problem about 2 weeks ago and have filed the paperwork to report it. I strongly suspected the stimulus money would face a similar fate and unfortunately I was correct.

I have contacted our congressman's local office and I am getting some help from them in resolving this problem, however it will likely take months.

Similar experience.
- Status for stimulus shows it was deposited to an account that is not ours.
- Not deposited into our acct. per our bank.
- Our tax refund for this year is also MIA according to the IRS.

They also left college student/dependents blowing in the wind - no stimulus $ even if they work and pay taxes.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
In another post, I saw a married couple got TWO $1200 deposits (albeit on the same day). I wonder if my wife's got waylaid someplace and it will just magically show up. Has anybody else gotten TWO deposits? If so, same day or different days? Note, our account IS a joint account. Thanks
Did you file your returns as Married Filing Joint in both 2019 and 2018?

If you go to the Get My Payment site (https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment) and enter your wife's information, what does it say about her payment?
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH and I qualify for the stimulus payment. We should get $2400 but have received nothing yet. We both get SS payments and I had hoped the stimulus payment would be paid like SS but evidently not. We filed our 2019 federal income tax return on 2/14/19. We overpaid by $40 (line 20). Instead of getting a refund we applied the $40 to our 2020 estimate (line 22). We also filed a 2018 return and got a refund which was direct deposited to our bank account.

I have tried to use the Get My Payment website with no luck. Right now I am locked out. I get to the page that asks for AGI and refund amount but no matter what I put in it says my information does not match the IRS records.

Is there anyone who has used the Get My Payment website successfully who got a refund that was applied to your 2020 estimate? if so how do you complete the information asked for about the refund on the Get My Payment website? Thanks.
Anybody else with my problem --I elected to have my 2019 refund go toward 2020 estimated payments-- the Get My Payment website will not work will not work for me?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Does someone have a link to add banking info. We just get the status message and no option to enter our info.

Thanks
If you're getting Payment Status Unavailable, then there is no way to enter your banking info. You can wait 24 hours and try again, wait for a paper check to arrive, or if that doesn't happen claim the rebate on your 2020 return next year. Sorry.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #365

Quote:
Anybody else with my problem --I elected to have my 2019 refund go toward 2020 estimated payments-- the Get My Payment website will not work will not work for me?
I think one person earlier on this thread said it worked for them, but a few others in your situation have said it doesn't work. Sounds like you're also in the latter group. You can try again in a few days and see if they fix it, or wait for the paper check. Sorry.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #366

We received our $2400 stimulus payment in our checking account on Wednesday the 15th. I paid off our $600 credit card balance and put the rest in savings.

My daughter received her $1200 payment the same day.

My mother is on Railroad Retirement (Social Security Equivalent) and also received a $1200 payment that day.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #367
Recycles dryer sheets

We also received 2,400 on Wednesday, the 15th.
Our son received 1,200 on the same date.
Our daughter is in college as our dependent and over 16 yo, so she is not eligible for this
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have the same problem. There was an article in WAPO yesterday about some of the problems that people were having with entering their information and one of the examples was someone who applied their refund toward their 2020 taxes, and like us, could not enter their direct deposit info. A spokesman for IRS said they were aware of the problem. Hopefully, they will provide a fix.
gailwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #369
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone WHO WAS ABLE TO ENTER the deposit info get your check yet, or able to see a deposit date online? Entered ours the day the site opened early morning and still get the message showing last 4 digits of account and a note saying it will be updated when they have a date for the deposit.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #370
Recycles dryer sheets

We usually owe a little bit in Federal taxes. So we don't have a bank account set up for any refund to be direct deposited. We do have our Social Security set as direct deposit. Do you think the IRS and the Soc Security Adm will work together (share) the information so that our stimulus check has somewhere to be deposited?

I've looked around the internet, and don't seem to find an answer to that question. So do any of you have the same situation? Or can you point me in the right direction to find my answer? Thanks.
Momcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momcpa View Post
We usually owe a little bit in Federal taxes. So we don't have a bank account set up for any refund to be direct deposited. We do have our Social Security set as direct deposit. Do you think the IRS and the Soc Security Adm will work together (share) the information so that our stimulus check has somewhere to be deposited?

I've looked around the internet, and don't seem to find an answer to that question. So do any of you have the same situation? Or can you point me in the right direction to find my answer? Thanks.
My mom owed a little bit in federal income tax. She receives social security payments as a direct deposit. She has not received her stimulus payment. The "get my payment" website hasn't worked for her personal information so far.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:44 AM   #372

Quote:

You should use the IRS website to check your payment status and enter your direct deposit account info: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
Old 04-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Tried again after my time out period. Same result. Tried entering my overpayment amount instead of 0, did not match their records. Tried 2018 return - did not match records. So the only thing that doesn't not match is the correct info from 2019 which isn't acceptable. Alrighty then.
I also tried entering the overpayment amount instead of 0, and I got to the page saying the amounts don’t match our records, instead of a “sorry we are having technical difficulties, try again later” screen.

That page suggested trying the 2018 tax information. I entered that - in that year an amount was owed. I got another amounts don’t match our records error. Since DF’s taxes were filed electronically about a month ago, I’m pretty sure they are expecting the 2019 numbers.

So my conclusions are: the code currently can’t handle the cases of 0 for refunds, or even 0 for owed. They explicitly ask for line 21a on 2019 1040, and if you applied the amount overpaid to next years taxes, that line will be 0. But it kicks you out to the technical difficulties page.

So, we have to wait for them to fix their code.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There seems to be a bug now where if you have the 2019 overpayment applied to 2020 taxes, which puts the refund field they
are specifically asking for to 0, that it kicks you out to a “technical difficulties - try again later” error page.

They give you two choices and are ignoring a third case.

They ask you - did you owe money - no.
Did you get a refund - well, also no because it was applied to the next year’s taxes.

I wish they had simply asked if you overpaid and by how much.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #375
Moderator Emeritus

The website shows my payment status as unavailable. And I
can't get to the page where I can add banking info.

My 2019 taxes were efiled around 4/10 and included bank info. My 2018 taxes had tax due and had no banking info.

I suspect that the stimulus check system checked for banking info before my 2019 taxes were efiled and found no banking info. And the system has not since checked to see if 2019 taxes were filed. The system does not appear to be sophisticated enough to continue to check for 2019 tax returns after the initial check.

So our stimulus $ is in limbo somewhere.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Directly Deposited to Unkown Account
Old 04-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #376
Recycles dryer sheets

Directly Deposited to Unkown Account

There are at least a dozen news articles written in the past day or two detailing taxpayers who checked the stimulus status website to find that their stimulus dollars were deposited to an account they don't own. The last 4 numbers that their $ were deposited into as shown on the stimulus update website are not an account they own.

After research, I found several potential scenarios. Not wanting to waste time detailing each of them here - just know that if you receive the status message that you're was deposited into an account you don't own, you're not alone.

I prepared my own taxes, IRS has my correct direct deposit info, however the status message for DH and I reflects direct deposit of our stimulus $ into some unknown account. I imagine we'll eventually receive what we're owed after we work at it. I am more concerned that folks who desperately need their stimulus $ will not get theirs in a timely manner, or at all.

Also - did the IRS send a pile of money to the wrong accounts
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:26 AM   #377
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post
I have the same problem. There was an article in WAPO yesterday about some of the problems that people were having with entering their information and one of the examples was someone who applied their refund toward their 2020 taxes, and like us, could not enter their direct deposit info. A spokesman for IRS said they were aware of the problem. Hopefully, they will provide a fix.
Well, that is encouraging, and I’ll wait for a while before trying again.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There seems to be a bug now where if you have the 2019 overpayment applied to 2020 taxes, which puts the refund field they
are specifically asking for to 0, that it kicks you out to a “technical difficulties - try again later” error page.

They give you two choices and are ignoring a third case.

They ask you - did you owe money - no.
Did you get a refund - well, also no because it was applied to the next year’s taxes.

I which they had simply asked if you overpaid and by how much.
that would be too easy. they just like to have a few of us out there hanging in the wind.

I wish I could find out if I could apply it to my 2020 taxes. I would let it ride and not have to pay any more as I already paid the first quarter.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No, I think you had better provide your bank info.

DF is the same, and he receives SS as direct deposit. And when I went to check on the payment status online, they told me that they did not have the required bank info and asked me to provide it.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The website shows my payment status as unavailable. And I
can't get to the page where I can add banking info.

My 2019 taxes were efiled around 4/10 and included bank info. My 2018 taxes had tax due and had no banking info.

I suspect that the stimulus check system checked for banking info before my 2019 taxes were efiled and found no banking info. And the system has not since checked to see if 2019 taxes were filed. The system does not appear to be sophisticated enough to continue to check for 2019 tax returns after the initial check.

So our stimulus $ is in limbo somewhere.
One of the reasons cited by the IRS for getting that error message is:

Quote:
If you recently filed your return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov. Your payment status will be updated when processing is completed.
Just check back every couple days. I suspect you will still get the direct deposit.

Tags
stimulus payment