Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2020, 08:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My son just said he received his.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #22
gone traveling

Got our $1100 today.
Not low AGI.
Straight into savings in case they ask for it back.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I got my federal tax refund by direct deposit on February 25th.

I got my most recent Social Security direct deposit a couple of days ago.

My bank account shows no deposit, and nothing pending, yet. I am ever hopeful. My bank is sometimes slower than molasses.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:57 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Waiting for the hard check here..
slick8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I got my federal tax refund by direct deposit on February 25th.

I got my most recent Social Security direct deposit a couple of days ago.

My bank account shows no deposit, and nothing pending, yet. I am ever hopeful. My bank is sometimes slower than molasses.
Pretty much our situation. Federal tax refund direct deposit on February 20th. DW's SS direct deposit a couple of days ago. Waiting to see if they'll really use the 2019 tax filing for us, or if they'll peek at the 2018 tax filing and say "No way!" Honestly, I would have been fine not getting a check.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

But, I did find 1200 mis-matched socks in my dryer.
I could use one white, ankle high, size 13 if you have an extra.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #27

The only stimulus we will benefit from is the government bond buying program. Other than that, we have a big tax bill due now July 15th.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:09 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

As Molly said, several on the Boglehead forum have received their funds today. Most said the payment was pending and payable on April 15th.
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #29

I just filed my 2019 return a few days ago. My 2018 income would be to high, but my 2019 is much lower and would qualify. Not sure how quickly they will react to the filing of 2019. I'm guessing at the end of the line but before hard copy checks since I did have routing number on my return.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:01 AM   #30

We did a big Roth conversion last year, if they use AGI that includes that then we will be over the limit for a check. However, if they use 2018 we should be within the limits. Anyone have a link to how they will determine income levels ?
Old 04-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
We did a big Roth conversion last year, if they use AGI that includes that then we will be over the limit for a check. However, if they use 2018 we should be within the limits. Anyone have a link to how they will determine income levels ?
Don't have a link, but pretty sure they will use 2019 income. We also did large Roth conversions. If you're under the limit next year, you should get the credit on your 2020 taxes.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:51 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

IRS to launch "Get My Payment" website by April 17 (behind paywall?)

Quote:
By April 17, the agency plans to launch “Get My Payment,” which will provide people with a status of their payment, how it will be sent — direct deposit or mailed check — and the date the money will be mailed or scheduled to be deposited into their bank account. The tool will be much like the current “Where’s My Refund,” which allows taxpayers to track their federal refund.

An additional feature on “Get My Payment” will allow taxpayers to provide their bank account information so they can receive their payment faster than a paper check. If a payment has already been scheduled, you can’t use this feature, the IRS said.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #33

Does anyone know if the transfer will happen automatically if you PAID taxes with a transfer from a checking account (as opposed to getting a refund that way)?

We normally owe, and for the last 2 years we have transferred money to the feds this way.

Just curious. Everything I read is about refunds paid by transfer.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Got our $1100 today.
Not low AGI.
Straight into savings in case they ask for it back.
Nothing yet for us. They might be doing this alphabetically or by some sequence of SS#s.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:07 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Does anyone know if the transfer will happen automatically if you PAID taxes with a transfer from a checking account (as opposed to getting a refund that way)?

We normally owe, and for the last 2 years we have transferred money to the feds this way.

Just curious. Everything I read is about refunds paid by transfer.
Isn't it amazing with all the many articles and threads on this subject out there in the world not a single one has posed this question? Starting to believe those stories about people not even having $400 for an emergency.

My answer was to sign up via eftps.gov three weeks ago, just in case. They will snail mail you a PIN number, and will then officially have your bank info on file.
54andchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54andchange View Post
Isn't it amazing with all the many articles and threads on this subject out there in the world not a single one has posed this question? Starting to believe those stories about people not even having $400 for an emergency.
Isn’t it amazing that there is all the talk about not helping Airlines and other companies that spent dollars to buy back stock over the past few years but I haven’t heard one comment about why the large number of people that don’t have the $400 for an emergency haven’t saved even $5 per week ? Are there that many people that can’t put a dollar a day in a jar for emergency ?
Old 04-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
It's based on AGI, which is line 8b on the 2019 1040.

If you've filed 2019, they'll use that. If you haven't filed 2019 but have filed 2018, they'll use that.

If you don't qualify for the stimulus direct deposit based on 2019 or 2018, you may still qualify based on your 2020 AGI and can get the tax credit on your 2020 tax return.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:24 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Stimulus Checks for Up to $4,700 Begin Arriving in Bank Accounts

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus...-check-1497401
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Nothing yet for us. They might be doing this alphabetically or by some sequence of SS#s.
Here is a PDF file document from the House Ways and Means Committee that describes (as of April 2nd, anyway), the sequence and frequency of distribution):

https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites...e%204-2-20.pdf

Quote:
As of today, the latest estimated timing from the IRS on economic impact checks is as follows:

The IRS will make about 60 million payments to Americans through direct deposit in mid-April (likely, the week of April 13th). The IRS has direct deposit information for these individuals from their 2018 or 2019 tax returns. This will include SSA beneficiaries who filed federal tax returns that included direct deposit information.

Shortly (hopefully within 10 days) after the first round of payments are made in mid-April, the IRS plans to make a second run of payments. These payments will be made to SS beneficiaries who did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019 and receive their Social Security benefits via direct deposit. (The estimates are that nearly 99 percent of SS beneficiaries who do not file a return receive their SS benefits through direct deposit.)

About 3 weeks after the first round of payments are made (the week of May 4th), the IRS will begin issuing paper checks to individuals.
The paper checks will be issued at a rate of about 5 million per week, which could take up to 20 weeks to get all the checks out.

The checks will be issued in reverse “adjusted gross income” order—starting with people with the lowest income first.
Old 04-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Does anyone know if those folks not receiving any help will be notified of their ineligibility? Or is it likely to be a case of just assuming if you don't receive anything, you weren't eligible?

Tags
stimulus payment