Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Must be normal, I get that every day
Standard behavior for a government website (mostly kidding, some work well, obviously). I tried to sign up for a MyMedicare account. It asked me some identity questions. I answered them all accurately, and it said 'sorry, your answers are incorrect. You may not try again for 24 hours'. I gave up. Not worth the hassle.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2020, 01:53 AM   #442
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to change my withholding on my pension for the rest this year to get the equivalent. Filed 2019 AGI was too high, but will be under in 2020 when the tax credit applies. Works for us.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:47 AM   #443
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Standard behavior for a government website (mostly kidding, some work well, obviously). I tried to sign up for a MyMedicare account. It asked me some identity questions. I answered them all accurately, and it said 'sorry, your answers are incorrect. You may not try again for 24 hours'. I gave up. Not worth the hassle.
Reminds me of a fail I had a couple years back with an online credit check asking multiple choice questions. Questions like: “which of the following was once your phone number, address”, etc. The one that likely got me was mortgage payment amount. We paid it off in 2008 and since I always rounded up a few hundred $ I really had no idea.
ceciledian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciledian View Post
Reminds me of a fail I had a couple years back with an online credit check asking multiple choice questions. Questions like: “which of the following was once your phone number, address”, etc. The one that likely got me was mortgage payment amount. We paid it off in 2008 and since I always rounded up a few hundred $ I really had no idea.
Off topic but security checks that rely on credit report info are outrageous. They rely on arcane multiple choice questions that only someone with a photographic memory could get right. The damn bureaus tossed out their pins and required us to pass these stupid tests to re-register for online access and I have been unable to get by Equifax. A couple of Federal sites refused me access because they rely on credit reports to check identity.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #445
Full time employment: Posting here.

No stimulus here yet. My situation; paid fed tax in 2018 and 2019. Used the payment portal so the fed has my account info, but apparently the payment and refund portals don't talk to each other. I used the govt website to add banking info on the 17th when it opened. My message reads that I am eligible, when the govt has a date for deposit, it will be listed here and deposited into bank account 5555....blah blah.
Fortunately, like most on this board, I dont need the money.
erkevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #446

I can't get past the banking info section as it says it does not recognize my info. pretty frustrating. tried every conceivable combination for 2018 taxes and 2019 taxes. same as lots of people credited my refund to next years taxes, but had to pay in 2018. anybody having luck with this scenario lately?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #447
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Beautiful chart, FIREd. Thanks.
Looks like end of July for me.

I have NOT filed my 2019 yet. Will make pmt of ~$200 or so.

For the past 5 years I have had a small payment due on Fed taxes, usually <$500. So I filed via snail mail on "Tax Day" and mailed them a check.

I wonder if I use "direct debit" payment from my ckg acct if the IRS will be able to pick up my acct info and send the stimulus pmt electronically?
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:19 AM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
Looks like end of July for me.
I wonder if I use "direct debit" payment from my ckg acct if the IRS will be able to pick up my acct info and send the stimulus pmt electronically?
That's how my mom filed this year, and she didn't get her stimulus check via direct deposit. She'll end up getting a paper check because the IRS, via the get my payment web site, says her soc. sec. no./birthdate/address/zip code copied directly from her 2019 tax return doesn't match their records.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
This question has already been asked and answered many posts ago. No, because that's what we do when we efile. I entered my bank info the day the option went live. No estimated date for the direct deposit yet.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #450
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
This question has already been asked and answered many posts ago. No, because that's what we do when we efile. I entered my bank info the day the option went live. No estimated date for the direct deposit yet.

I posted the same a few days ago. Nothing yet...
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #451
Give me a forum ...

Checked today. Nada. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:02 AM   #452
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I can't get past the banking info section as it says it does not recognize my info. pretty frustrating. tried every conceivable combination for 2018 taxes and 2019 taxes. same as lots of people credited my refund to next years taxes, but had to pay in 2018. anybody having luck with this scenario lately?
The apply refund to next years taxes is still a known bug. And you can’t use your 2018 info if they are already using your 2019 info which it sounds like in your case.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #453

We filed 2019 taxes on March 27. The direct payment site accepted our info immediately (2 days ago). I was worried about hacking, but decided to go ahead and use the site.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Child born DURING COVID and legislation
Old 04-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #454

Child born DURING COVID and legislation

My new child was born 4/5. Literally during the Pandemic. I filed our 2019 taxes back in early February for 2019 tax year for our family of 4 (then).

How do I claim the $500 for my third child born during the Pandemic? I tried the IRS/Intuit Non-Filer form thinking I could do a 0 return for new COVID baby but the form "error handling" would not allow 4/5/2020 as a valid date (greyed out submit unless I backdate)...

Sooo... I am kinda screwed or what?

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:31 AM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
My new child was born 4/5. Literally during the Pandemic. I filed our 2019 taxes back in early February for 2019 tax year for our family of 4 (then).

How do I claim the $500 for my third child born during the Pandemic? I tried the IRS/Intuit Non-Filer form thinking I could do a 0 return for new COVID baby but the form "error handling" would not allow 4/5/2020 as a valid date (greyed out submit unless I backdate)...

Sooo... I am kinda screwed or what?
Congrats on the new baby! You will get the extra $500 when you file your 2020 return next year. There's no way to claim it earlier.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:51 AM   #456

In a way I sort of lucked out. I did apply my refund to next years taxes, but I used only part of my refund to do that. So I was able to put the refund amount left over in the space provided on the get my refund site. On the downside I am still waiting for my deposit after giving the IRS my bank info.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Congrats on the new baby! You will get the extra $500 when you file your 2020 return next year. There's no way to claim it earlier.
Thank you! It was "interesting" in the hospital, but I kinda liked the uninterrupted, safe and quick journey, so did DW.

Looks like the little one gets a 529 right away They will need it with this can getting kicked down the road.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #458

I just submitted my federal taxes this past weekend using OLT, had a small amount due. One of the final steps before submitting the return was an option to provide your banking information for the stimulus check, I haven't received my check yet so filled it out. The IRS already pulled the taxes due from my checking account, will wait and see if it speeds up the stimulus payment.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #459
Recycles dryer sheets

We received our $2400 via direct deposit early last week. (For me and my wife; we have two kids, but both are 17 and over...)
I filed our 2019 taxes using TaxAct in mid-February (no refund, we paid a few thousand using direct withdrawal form our checking account).
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #460
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to submit my bank account last week and have logged in to the IRS "Get My Payment" twice a day, once in the evening, once in the morning. However, today when I tried to login in, it told me to come back in 24 hours as (1) there is a problem with my information or (2) I am checking to often (??)

Is anyone else seeing this?
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stimulus payment