Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2020, 06:13 AM   #601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$1871.10 stimulus payment hit our account today.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 06:42 AM   #602
Recycles dryer sheets

Our payment is showing pending in the bank account this morning. I input bank details on Friday, 17th April.

One shocking thing - DH's full social security number is shown in the payment reference (not XXX'd out except for the last 4 digits.)

Thank goodness we have moved to online statements.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #603

Ours posted this morning in pending. Nice, after I paid all CC bills.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #604
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

True to the last response from the IRS website, our stimulus payment hit our bank account today.

Quote:
Payment Status
We scheduled your payment to be deposited on April 30, 2020 to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ************6666

If you don't see your payment credited to your account, check with your bank to verify they received it. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #605
Give me a forum ...

Anyone planning to manipulate 2020 AGI to get the full stimulus ? I am (unless I choose to start SS early).

Iíll have to find a way to convert an IRA distribution into a rollover. Seems to be an issue for my credit union to take a check from me and treat it as a rollover.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #606
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I think it works a little bit differently than the above.

The stimulus tax credit for MFJ is $2400. Then in this case, you add $500 for the dependent, which gets you to $2900.

For MFJ, there is a 5% phaseout of the stimulus tax credit starting at $150K AGI. So in this case, it ends at $150K + ($2900 / 5%) = $208K.

I had given similar inaccurate advice to someone else on another board. I got challenged/corrected, and so I went and read the text of the final bill. The above is my understanding of how the law is written.

This is something that is frequently not accurately nor carefully explained in news articles in the popular press.

@sergio, I think the best you can do is calculate the credit based on your 2020 situation with the higher AGI and the dependent, then claim any increase of that number over whatever stimulus check you received this year. There will be a line on the tax forms next year for this calculation. The government doesn't care what combination of AGI and dependents leads to the credit between 2019 and 2020; they just compare the overall number and give you whatever the math says is better.
Thanks - it's not the end of the world if we don't get the $500. We are in the "lucky" group as our 2020 AGI may be much higher than our 2019 AGI due to a one-off capital gain, but we still got $2900 deposited this morning that we don't need to return... if the sale of our company falls through we'll claim the $500 next year, or simply change my withholding so that I pay $500 less federal tax this year.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #607

Payment cleared today $2400 from the IRS and I sent them $2100 so I have $300 to help stimulate the economy.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #608
Give me a forum ...

Nah... you were going to have to send them the $2100 either way so you're actually $2400 ahead.... -$2,100 vs +$300.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Nah... you were going to have to send them the $2100 either way so you're actually $2400 ahead.... -$2,100 vs +$300.
Leave it to a bean counter to spoil a good story.
Old 04-30-2020, 11:58 AM   #610

Just got it today. DW already has plans. 14 cu yd of mulch for the main house and 12 tons of driveway gravel for the lakehouse. Labor supplied by me. No need for a gym membership and she has $$ left over for other things.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Anyone planning to manipulate 2020 AGI to get the full stimulus ? I am (unless I choose to start SS early).

Iíll have to find a way to convert an IRA distribution into a rollover. Seems to be an issue for my credit union to take a check from me and treat it as a rollover.
IRS owes me another $460. You can be assured I will stay below the cutoff next year to get it!
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:41 AM   #612
Recycles dryer sheets

IRS ďget my paymentĒ site showing paid on April 30, but not showing up in the bank. Anyone else have the same problem?
rdy4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #613
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy4er View Post
IRS “get my payment” site showing paid on April 30, but not showing up in the bank. Anyone else have the same problem?
IRS is undoubtedly batch processing these payments overnight. It could have hit your account to late to be credited yesterday. Check again tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:55 AM   #614
gone traveling

Update on the family getting the check.....

MIL go hers in the mail last week. She files but owes zero and pays zero so the "get my payment" lookup form did not work for her (because of the verification questions based on how much she paid or owed).

DM go hers via direct deposit yesterday 4/30...We went to the form on day 1 and added her bank account info. She always owes the man every year.

DF & I get "Payment Status Not Available" we did not qualify in 2018 but did qualify in 2019. Online filed 3/24. We will need to wait.

20 something kids both got theirs via direct deposit on day 1

First time I think I've ever said this: "Very efficient and very fast and excellent job, US government!"
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:59 AM   #615
Recycles dryer sheets

3 of my kids got their check. The one that needs it the most, of course, canít even get the site to identify her. She canít get past the first page of SS, DOB and address. She has correspondence from IRS and made sure sheís entering address exactly as they have it (pretty straightforward address). Comes back that they canít identify her. Then it locks her out. Anyone out there that can offer us help for her??

She filed by paper in mid Feb. Never received her refund. Site states they are working on it.

BTW, for people like this who just donít get their checks will there be a way on next years taxes to declare this? What do you think?

She is NOT happy!!!
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:00 AM   #616
gone traveling

MIL had payment date of 4/30 and it was "pending" at BofA yesterday (4/30) and it's posted today (5/1) with a deposit date of 4/30....All good here...I bet yours is in your account this morning (5/1) dated 4/30.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:56 AM   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol1862 View Post
3 of my kids got their check. The one that needs it the most, of course, canít even get the site to identify her. She canít get past the first page of SS, DOB and address. She has correspondence from IRS and made sure sheís entering address exactly as they have it (pretty straightforward address). Comes back that they canít identify her. Then it locks her out. Anyone out there that can offer us help for her??

She filed by paper in mid Feb. Never received her refund. Site states they are working on it.

BTW, for people like this who just donít get their checks will there be a way on next years taxes to declare this? What do you think?

She is NOT happy!!!
If they don't get their checks this year and still qualify on 2020 taxes, then they should get the credit next year.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #618
Recycles dryer sheets

DM received her direct deposit two days ago. Does not file federal taxes.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #619
Give me a forum ...

My deposit is somewhere in the Outer Darkness. But, my children got their money and they need it far more than I do.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #620
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post

Certainly thinking about it. Will be easier with the lower dividends paid out in 2020 and harvested tax losses.

Tags
stimulus payment