Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #681
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have not read all the previous posts to this thread so maybe this has already been covered.

I tried several times over the last few weeks to enter information into the IRS website for direct deposit without any success. Something about information not matching their records.

Will I eventually receive a check in the mail? DW and I qualify for the $2400 stimulus.

Where do you find out when you should be expecting a check?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #682
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I have not read all the previous posts to this thread so maybe this has already been covered.

I tried several times over the last few weeks to enter information into the IRS website for direct deposit without any success. Something about information not matching their records.

Will I eventually receive a check in the mail? DW and I qualify for the $2400 stimulus.

Where do you find out when you should be expecting a check?

The first part of the IRS website will tell you if you are getting a refund. It's the second part about your AGI and how much refund or tax you ended up sending or receiving that is likely what didn't match their records. From that page, it should spell out that you will receive a paper check unless you fill out correctly. Most likely you are putting down a wrong refund amount. Did you get a refund and if so, did you apply it to next year's taxes? It could be the amount is zero if you applied your refund to next year's taxes. In that instance, technically you did not receive a refund and should enter zero.

Your question has most likely been addressed in the tread. Take the time to read what's been discussed.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 04:13 AM   #683
Recycles dryer sheets

After being locked out ever since it started (I have a foreign address) I got in today smoothly (entered address all in caps) and it took bank info too. So either they’re loading the system in batches or they fixed whatever glitch that had kept me out.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I'm still waiting,

Taxes filed April 10 with my routing numbers. I also put them on the stimulus payment website April 29th. Finally got into the site.

It seems the secretary did not add the routing numbers to my 1040 form as she said she would do. GET REFUND STATUS,

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/e...fgetstatus.jsp
Says my check is in the mail, it was not directly deposited.
Just another reason not to use the tax service next year.
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #685
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally looked - To be mailed May 15th
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #686
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey they are still processing my tax refund which has a direct deposit account from Feb 27th. Can't speak to a live person yet.
However, I did get the stimulus. Crazy...
Old 05-09-2020, 11:49 AM   #687
Recycles dryer sheets

Paper check showed up in the mail today, woot
rdy4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #688
Give me a forum ...

DGF just received her paper check today. We will take it.
Old 05-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #689

DH and I spent the afternoon deciding which local charities and worthy causes will get our stimulus money--some food banks, go fund me for unemployed restaurant employees, help for hungry kids.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
It seems the secretary did not add the routing numbers to my 1040 form as she said she would do. GET REFUND STATUS,

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/e...fgetstatus.jsp
Says my check is in the mail, it was not directly deposited.
Just another reason not to use the tax service next year.

Just got the mail, my Tax refund check came, checked the website this morning, it said it was mailed yesterday on the 8th.
That's one for the mail service!
I'm perplexed, I'm happy I paid $0 in federal tax, but not so happy I gave the government a $6,600 loan at 0 interest.
I'll do better next year, I promise.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #691
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH and I spent the afternoon deciding which local charities and worthy causes will get our stimulus money--some food banks, go fund me for unemployed restaurant employees, help for hungry kids.

Good stuff. Use it for yourself if you need it, otherwise put it to where it is truly needed. When mine finally comes... I shall do the same.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:13 AM   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Good stuff. Use it for yourself if you need it, otherwise put it to where it is truly needed. When mine finally comes... I shall do the same.
We are very fortunate. We are not wealthy (we would not be getting the stimulus if we were) but we are comfortable and so many people are in need. We are grateful we were able to send our stimulus to help others and hopefully that will help the economy in general.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #693
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven’t read every page, but I am surprised so many here are even getting checks. I thought this place was chock full of big dawgs.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #694
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I haven’t read every page, but I am surprised so many here are even getting checks. I thought this place was chock full of big dawgs.

It is chock full of people who knew when “enough is enough” and once you know that and you keep your AGI down... life is good.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:49 AM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
We are very fortunate. We are not wealthy (we would not be getting the stimulus if we were) but we are comfortable and so many people are in need. We are grateful we were able to send our stimulus to help others and hopefully that will help the economy in general.

Wealthy is a relative term, The typical American household has a net worth of about $97,300.
Would the typical American say you weren't wealthy? (rhetorical)

For 65yr olds +,

To be in the top 50%, you need a net worth of at least $218,500.
To be in the top 10%, you need a net worth of at least $1,712,000.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #696

We have been filing electronically with the help of AARP for 8+ years and each year pay tax due with a check. I went on the IRS site to check our status but stopped when it asked for our bank account number. They should have that information with all the checks they have accepted. Evidently a SS#, birth date, and address is not sufficient to check on our status.

At this time there is no check yet. NUTS! Not sure if they will even send a check with how screwed up they are.
I was hoping to use it as a donation to charities but that will have to wait assuming I eventually get a check.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
We have been filing electronically with the help of AARP for 8+ years and each year pay tax due with a check. I went on the IRS site to check our status but stopped when it asked for our bank account number. They should have that information with all the checks they have accepted. Evidently a SS#, birth date, and address is not sufficient to check on our status.

At this time there is no check yet. NUTS! Not sure if they will even send a check with how screwed up they are.
I was hoping to use it as a donation to charities but that will have to wait assuming I eventually get a check.

Cheers!
The IRS definitely doesn't save bank info from paper checks that people mail to them!

The SS#, birth date and address did tell you the status of your payment though. It confirmed that you're entitled to a payment, and that you're in a group that hasn't yet been scheduled to have checks printed and mailed. It also offered you the opportunity to provide direct deposit info so that you can have your money in two weeks instead of waiting for a paper check to be processed.

If you don't want to get an electronic deposit, then you can check your status every week or so and eventually you'll see a date when the paper check will be mailed. It takes several months to print and mail millions of checks, and they're starting from the lowest incomes and working towards the highest, so depending where you fall in the line, it may be as late as September when you receive your check. If you're lucky, then a lot of the people in line ahead of you did provide their banking info and that'll shorten the amount of time you have to wait.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #698

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
The IRS definitely doesn't save bank info from paper checks that people mail to them!

The SS#, birth date and address did tell you the status of your payment though. It confirmed that you're entitled to a payment, and that you're in a group that hasn't yet been scheduled to have checks printed and mailed. It also offered you the opportunity to provide direct deposit info so that you can have your money in two weeks instead of waiting for a paper check to be processed.

If you don't want to get an electronic deposit, then you can check your status every week or so and eventually you'll see a date when the paper check will be mailed.

I went to the site that someone provided on this forum and gave my SS#, birth date, and address as I wrote in my post. It DID NOT give me any confirmation etc. as you stated. It would not allow me to continue without a bank deposit number. So I can't check my status. Is there another website from the IRS that does what you posted?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I went to the site that someone provided on this forum and gave my SS#, birth date, and address as I wrote in my post. It DID NOT give me any confirmation etc. as you stated. It would not allow me to continue without a bank deposit number. So I can't check my status. Is there another website from the IRS that does what you posted?

Cheers!
The official site is https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

If it asks for your bank info, then that means that you are eligible for the payment and they are currently planning to mail a check to you later. The screen that asks for bank info is the confirmation. There is no other status you can get.

If you are not eligible or if the site can't match the info you provided with a recent tax return, then you get a different message with no place to enter your bank info.

If you are eligible and they have already scheduled your check to be mailed, then you get a message giving the date of mailing. Once you see the status message with a check date, then it's too late to enter your bank info.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:32 PM   #700
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Many big dawgs in Net Wealth, but not MAGI/AGI.

Tags
stimulus payment