Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
DF has always paid any taxes owed by check, although he receives his SS via direct deposit. We had already filed his 2019 taxes. I’m a bit confused as to how he will receive his payment.

That appears to only apply to SS recipients who do not file income tax returns.

The earlier quote:
So, DF did file taxes for both 2018 and 2019 but did not include direct deposit information, yet does receive SS via direct deposit.

Seems like he’s excluded from direct deposit?

That is correct in how I read it. The priority is taxpayers before non-taxpayers, and whatever method the taxpayer used will be the distribution path.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I thought there was some kind of true up process that looked at your 2019 tax return also?
Hadn't seen that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Where mah check? Where's my money that I didn't earn and don't need? Where mah check!!
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
That is correct in how I read it. The priority is taxpayers before non-taxpayers, and whatever method the taxpayer used will be the distribution path.
The IRS.gov language is this:
Quote:
Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return need to take no action. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments of $1,200 to these individuals even if they did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019. Recipients will receive these payments as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) recipients are also part of this group who don't need to take action.
Which leads me to believe DF will get his payment by direct deposit since he already receives SS benefits by direct deposit.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #65
gone traveling

- Do green card holders get them?
- Folks here on a temporary visa?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Green card holders usually have SS numbers and pay taxes in the same way as citizens - so, yes, if they would otherwise qualify.

Quote:
Unless these people have SS numbers - no, I don't think so. Some visa types do allocate SS numbers to the worker, but not their spouse or dependents.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:01 AM   #67

Well, I figure they got my banking info;
Paid electronically in 2018, although in 2019 I was owed a whole whopping one dollar. Which I then applied to 2020 taxes.

Now where's MY money?!
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:49 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

On Bogleheads Forum some people are saying they have already received the stimulus money via direct deposit to their bank accounts. Any one here got it yet? Not me!
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:54 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
On Bogleheads Forum some people are saying they have already received the stimulus money via direct deposit to their bank accounts. Any one here got it yet? Not me!
I have direct deposit and just checked and not me either.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:18 AM   #70

Quote:
Yes, legal residents, taxpayers, tax filers, etc. "temporary" visa might probably does not apply to student/tourist ones, but workers, those who live here and file and pay taxes, yes.

And I don't know how things always work these days, but for those interested: If one enters the US on a work visa, it can then take a few years after applying to actually get a green card.

Then, after you obtain Permanent Residency via a Green Card, you are not eligible to apply for citizenship for an additional 5 years. So my dad, for example, was a US Taxpayer for almost 10 years before he could even pay the fee to apply to become a citizen.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
DF has always paid any taxes owed by check, although he receives his SS via direct deposit. We had already filed his 2019 taxes. I’m a bit confused as to how he will receive his payment.

If nothing else, he will get his money via a tax credit on his 2020 return.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

DH and I think we will get $2,400 of stimulus money sooner or later. We are making plans for it--we pan to give half to local charities to feed the hungry and the other half to a family member who has been laid off and has not been able to get through to file an unemployment claim either online or by phone.

What do others on thus Forum plan to do with their stimulus money?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Yes, legal residents, taxpayers, tax filers, etc. "temporary" visa might probably does not apply to student/tourist ones, but workers, those who live here and file and pay taxes, yes.

And I don't know how things always work these days, but for those interested: If one enters the US on a work visa, it can then take a few years after applying to actually get a green card.

Then, after you obtain Permanent Residency via a Green Card, you are not eligible to apply for citizenship for an additional 5 years. So my dad, for example, was a US Taxpayer for almost 10 years before he could even pay the fee to apply to become a citizen.
Those of us who live overseas and collect Social Security will have our stimulus payments direct deposited into our overseas bank accounts same as our SS direct deposits. Many of us have young children (US citizens born abroad) and will need to go to the IRS.gov website to register them for their $500.00 payments!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

DD just got text from NFCU notifying her that her refund or stimulus direct deposit is scheduled for 4/15. It’s Easter Sunday and she hasn’t filed yet so it’s not a refund.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
What do others on thus Forum plan to do with their stimulus money?
I plan to spend it on wine, women, and song. Unless my wife has a better idea.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:20 PM   #76
Administrator

If my information and calculations are correct, the young wife and I will together receive the princely sum of $171 and it will arrive in September. So I have no idea what will happen to it then.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #77
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If my information and calculations are correct, the young wife and I will together receive the princely sum of $171 and it will arrive in September. So I have no idea what will happen to it then.
Sounds like a 1% problem
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #78

I stopped by my local US house rep. office . They took me to a back office and notified me I am on double secret probation due to my social media acctivity, and don't bother looking for it anytime soon.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If nothing else, he will get his money via a tax credit on his 2020 return.
He’ll get either a direct deposit or a check in the mail. I’m hoping for the former.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:14 PM   #80

There will be a lot of scams with this free handout.

Tags
stimulus payment