Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
There will be a lot of scams with this free handout.
oh yes...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2020, 06:06 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

do you think the stimulus checks will be taxable? just want to know what people think?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:09 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
do you think the stimulus checks will be taxable? just want to know what people think?
They shouldn't be since they are an advance on next year's refund, if I understand correctly.
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
do you think the stimulus checks will be taxable?
No.

Quote:
Will the Money I Get Now Be Taxed Later?

No. As we mentioned earlier, the check you receive is really just an advanced payment of a tax credit for the 2020 tax year. As such, it won't be included in your taxable income.
https://www.kiplinger.com/article/sp...ther-faqs.html
Old 04-13-2020, 06:14 AM   #85

Hat we “think” isn’t as relevant as what “is.” The payment is not taxable.

https://money.com/stimulus-check-advance-tax-refund/
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My $1200 is listed as pending and will be in my account on the 15th.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Wonderful! I am so happy for you.

Mine is still not listed, even as pending, so I'll just have to be patient for a while longer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wonderful! I am so happy for you.

Mine is still not listed, even as pending, so I'll just have to be patient for a while longer.
When you say "listed," where exactly is the checks status listed. TIA
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:17 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
When you say "listed," where exactly is the checks status listed. TIA
Your bank account. Mine is listed as pending with a deposit date of the 15th. So it's "listed" in your bank account transactions. Maybe not all banks/credit unions do that but my CU does.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #90

Quote:
Your bank account. Mine is listed as pending with a deposit date of the 15th. So it's "listed" in your bank account transactions. Maybe not all banks/credit unions do that but my CU does.
Ah the bank. Never seen a pending anything. Guess I don't have the delux account..sigh
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #91

Quote:

Mine is shown as pending also in my CU checking account. Should be posted either later today or tomorrow, I would guess.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I thought there was some kind of true up process that looked at your 2019 tax return also?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hadn't seen that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.
So, I did check it out. I know this isn't totally authoritative, but in this article from Kiplingers, it says that they haven't decided whether to "true it up" from your 2019 taxes.

Quote:
There's an opportunity to manipulate the amount of your stimulus check if you haven't already filed your 2019 return.
Quote:
If you get a higher amount using your 2018 return, wait to file. If the amount is better using 2019 numbers, then file as soon as you can
Quote:
Let's say you wait to file your 2019 return because your stimulus check will be $100 more if the IRS bases your payment on your 2018 return. Will you get to keep that additional $100?

That's still an open question. The way the law is written, the checks that will be sent now are actually just advanced payments of a new refundable tax credit for the 2020 tax year. We don't know yet how the IRS will treat stimulus payments that are more than the 2020 tax credit amount.
Quote:
If we had to guess, we don't think the IRS will require a payback. Nevertheless, we'll keep an eye out for IRS guidance addressing this situation, so check back later.
Sorry for all the chunks of quotes, just trying to winnow down the wordiness.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Whomever wrote the article for Kiplinger's needs better reading comprehension (or CPA friends with reading comprehension).

The text of the law is quite clear that stimulus payments that are larger than the 2020 credit amount will not have to be repaid. The wording is something along the lines of: "Your 2020 credit will be reduced by your stimulus payment, but not below zero."
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #94

My credit union is showing the stimulus amount is pending. Looks like I can start adding a much larger tip on our carry-out orders.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Just wanted to make sure I would get a stimulus check
Old 04-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #95
Confused about dryer sheets

Just wanted to make sure I would get a stimulus check

I am not collecting SS and just have dividend income. I do file, but I owe nothing and get nothing from the federal government, just always have to pay state. I would still be entitled to a check, correct?

Thanks
joecan5785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Logged onto my CU account this morning to pay some bills, and discovered $2400 of stimulus deposited to my account by IRS. Now, DW and I are trying to decide how to distribute it to those who need more than us.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecan5785 View Post
I am not collecting SS and just have dividend income. I do file, but I owe nothing and get nothing from the federal government, just always have to pay state. I would still be entitled to a check, correct?

Thanks
Almost certainly. The main requirements are (1) have an SSN, (2) have an AGI under $75K single, and (3) not be eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:09 PM   #98

I just got mine! I'm sooo excited! I think I will take the entire extended family out to dinner!

Oh, wait. Never mind on the dinner.

It was direct deposited into the same account that gets my SS check and my tax refund check.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Whomever wrote the article for Kiplinger's needs better reading comprehension (or CPA friends with reading comprehension).

The text of the law is quite clear that stimulus payments that are larger than the 2020 credit amount will not have to be repaid. The wording is something along the lines of: "Your 2020 credit will be reduced by your stimulus payment, but not below zero."
What?? You mean this is NOT free money??
BTW, what is a "credit amount?"
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:36 PM   #100
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
What?? You mean this is NOT free money??
BTW, what is a "credit amount?"
The amounts currently being sent out are advance payments of a tax credit to be applied to your 2020 tax obligation. The amount you get now is determined by either your 2018 or 2019 AGI, but the ultimate amount of your credit will be determined by your 2020 AGI. Consider the two extreme cases: 1) you had greater than $198,000 AGI in 2019 (MFJ), so you get nothing now, but you have less than $150,000 AGI in 2020, so you get a $2400 tax credit when you file next year; and 2) You had less than $150,000 AGI in 2019, so you get $2400 now, but you have greater than $198,000 AGI in 2020, so you are ineligible for any tax credit when you file next year. In case 2, you do not need to pay it back.

Tags
stimulus payment