Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I owed in 2018 and applied my refund to next year's taxes for 2019 return. When I checked status, I had to put down 'refund' and amount as Zero. When I tried the actual dollar amount to be applied to next year's taxes, I got a warning that the data did not match theirs and try again. When I used Zero, I got the 'technical difficulties, try again' message.

Technically that would be correct; I was owed a refund but I didn't RECEIVE a refund as it was instead of received, applied to next year's taxes. So I received zero.
Also for the record, I'm gettin SS, but DW isn't. The IRS info page says they have me in the system, but that they do not have my banking info and will send a check. Maybe they will, maybe they won't if they do or don't associate me with the SS status. So I'm thinking June or early July for me as my AGI was $90K+
This refund of 0 because it was applied to next years taxes is a known bug that I hope will be corrected soon.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #482
Moderator Emeritus

Got stimulus deposits this morning just as stated on my last trip to their website.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #483
Recycles dryer sheets

This may be an odd question but I'm trying to figure out what would happen in the worst case scenario. My understanding is that the 2019 or 2018 AGI determines how much money you get paid this year. However, this amount will be "corrected" based on 2020 AGI, and can only be corrected in favor of the taxpayer. This means that:

1. If your 2019 AGI very high, but very small in 2020, you'll get a refund when you file the 2020 taxes. You will not get any direct payment this year. Or you can lower withholdings to get the money this year.

2. If your AGI was low in 2019 but a very high in 2020, you will get a stimulus payment, and don't need to give back the money.

My question is what if you are in group (2.) but somehow the IRS screws up and never mails you a check or deposits the money. I assume you won't be able take the tax refund in 2020?
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #484
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
This may be an odd question but I'm trying to figure out what would happen in the worst case scenario. My understanding is that the 2019 or 2018 AGI determines how much money you get paid this year. However, this amount will be "corrected" based on 2020 AGI, and can only be corrected in favor of the taxpayer. This means that:

1. If your 2019 AGI very high, but very small in 2020, you'll get a refund when you file the 2020 taxes. You will not get any direct payment this year. Or you can lower withholdings to get the money this year.

2. If your AGI was low in 2019 but a very high in 2020, you will get a stimulus payment, and don't need to give back the money.

My question is what if you are in group (2.) but somehow the IRS screws up and never mails you a check or deposits the money. I assume you won't be able take the tax refund in 2020?
Correct. If you don't receive a payment in 2019 for whatever reason, then you will have to use your 2020 tax return to claim one. If you're not eligible in 2020, then you won't get one.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #485

My concern is similar. We qualify for the advance payment based on 2018. We would not qualify based on 2019 or 2020. I haven't filed 2019 yet and we owed money in 2018.

So if they don't get us a check (or DD) before I have to file 2019, then $2400 goes poof. I can file for an extension I suppose, which would give them until Oct 15.

But the Get My Payment tool still returns the dreaded "Payment Status Not Available" error message. None of the stated reasons for getting that message apply to us except possibly the newly added, "The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it."

So, I'm not getting a warm/fuzzy feeling about any of this. Since we don't qualify based on 2019, I don't even think there would be any recourse if they delayed the check until after we are required to file.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #486
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post
We both get SS. The IRS page says we are eligible for the stimulus, but they need our banking info for direct deposit, and of course, we can’t enter that because of the zero owed or refunded. I assume we will get a check at some point.
I have the same issue
Rushmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
This refund of 0 because it was applied to next years taxes is a known bug that I hope will be corrected soon.
I emailed my Congressman on this. Received this reply moments ago:

"April 22, 2020

Hi T.......,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the economic impact payments. My office has heard from many constituents seeking assistance with their individual payments and with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). I thank you for your patience as my staff works through the influx of requests.

As my staff works diligently to respond to every request, including yours, I wanted to share with you that the IRS is holding an Economic Impact Payment webinar on Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 11:00am Pacific. Whether my office has been in touch with you, or you are still waiting to hear from us, I hope you can find this resource helpful. For more information and to sign up for this free webinar, visit: irs.gov/webconference .

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your thoughts. To help me better serve the 39th District, I trust you will continue to keep me informed on issues of concern to you . You can stay up to date on my work by signing up for my newsletter and following me on social media. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Take care,

Gilbert R. Cisneros, Jr.
Member of Congress"

Sounds suspiciously like "check's in the mail." I have concluded there is no reason for the IRS to fix it since checks start going out next week. But who knows?
Old 04-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #488
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Correct. If you don't receive a payment in 2019 for whatever reason, then you will have to use your 2020 tax return to claim one. If you're not eligible in 2020, then you won't get one.
Thanks. We qualify based on 2018 and 2019, and normally would qualify in 2020 if this were a normal year, but a company I co-own has received an offer to be bought out. If we close the sale this year, our combined AGI 2020 will be over $200k...
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 PM   #489
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I emailed my Congressman on this. Received this reply moments ago:

"April 22, 2020

Hi T.......,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the economic impact payments. My office has heard from many constituents seeking assistance with their individual payments and with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). I thank you for your patience as my staff works through the influx of requests.

As my staff works diligently to respond to every request, including yours, I wanted to share with you that the IRS is holding an Economic Impact Payment webinar on Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 11:00am Pacific. Whether my office has been in touch with you, or you are still waiting to hear from us, I hope you can find this resource helpful. For more information and to sign up for this free webinar, visit: irs.gov/webconference .

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your thoughts. To help me better serve the 39th District, I trust you will continue to keep me informed on issues of concern to you . You can stay up to date on my work by signing up for my newsletter and following me on social media. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Take care,

Gilbert R. Cisneros, Jr.
Member of Congress"

Sounds suspiciously like "check's in the mail." I have concluded there is no reason for the IRS to fix it since checks start going out next week. But who knows?
Turns out the IRS can't get that working either:

"
An Economic Impact Payment Discussion

We regret to inform you that the Economic Impact Payment Discussion webinar scheduled for April 23, 2020, has been postponed. We recognize the tremendous interest in the Economic Impact Payment topic, and we will continue to share important information, updates and resources through IRS.gov and other available communications channels. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Date: Postponed - future date to be determined."
Old 04-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #490
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Got stimulus deposits this morning just as stated on my last trip to their website.
Did they have your direct deposit info already or did you have to enter it on the website?
mckittri2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #491
Give me a forum ...

So if the IRS can't get my bank account information, does this mean taxes are optional?
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #492
Full time employment: Posting here.

I receive SS survivor's benefits but instead of direct deposit to the account my SS check goes to, they are mailing a check. Don't understand it, why not use the direct deposit system already set up?
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:23 PM   #493
Give me a forum ...

About 30 minutes ago, I went to the IRS website and was finally able to get to the screen that said we were eligible and asked questions about direct deposit.

We filed our 2018 return (got a refund and had the refund direct deposited in our checking account). We had also filed our 2019 return, but owed money (had them take it from the same checking account).

I assumed since we had a direct deposit in 2018, they would send it automatically. That wasn't the case. I filled in the info they requested and it was a success. Not sure how long it will take to receive the money, but at least I was able to get that done.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:22 AM   #494

Progress at last! I was in the group of people getting the “Payment status not available “ even though DH and I qualified based on our 2018 tax return. But 30 minutes ago, I checked again and this time it said I qualified and allowed me to enter direct deposit information.

But in my surprise and excitement, I entered my individual bank account information instead of our joint account information. I think that oversight will relegate us to a mailed check after all. Sigh . . .
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:14 AM   #495
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
But in my surprise and excitement, I entered my individual bank account information instead of our joint account information. I think that oversight will relegate us to a mailed check after all. Sigh . . .
I'd be inclined to think you'd get the direct deposit. It's OK for an ordinary federal income tax refund on a joint account to go into an individual account, and this is an IRS refund of sorts. You can check in a day or two in the "Where's My Payment?" tool I think and see if you're getting a direct deposit or check or what.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #496
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittri2000 View Post
Did they have your direct deposit info already or did you have to enter it on the website?
They already had it
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:44 AM   #497
Recycles dryer sheets

First of all, received my stimulus check yesterday by US Mail. (when the IRS tool came available last week, I went right in and put in my Direct Deposit info, but guess it "crossed in the mail".

More importantly, it was way above what I expected based on my AGI for 2019. 2019 AGI (off which I think this was based) was just slightly more than the limit and the check was slightly less than the $2,400 for a couple. But using the online calculators it should have been significantly less. Anyone else come across this?
Old 04-24-2020, 06:30 AM   #498
Recycles dryer sheets

My situation is the same as Cobra9777 and swakyaby. And I also was finally able to enter bank info this morning. Looks like they are catching up.
kyzymurgist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #499
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Since the law is that they will use 2018 return if you haven't filed 2019, it would seem that the same rule would apply if you have filed 2019 and it just hasn't been processed yet. But who knows? As I said, it's small potatoes. I just have an aversion to illogical systems.
The IRS must have read my comment. I looked again this morning. It would not use my 2019 data because it says my return hasn't yet been processed and directed me to use my 2018 numbers instead. I did, and it worked! I gave them the account number and they said it will be deposited. We shall see if that occurs in timely fashion. Still only peanuts, but I am heartened to see something logical at the IRS.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:56 AM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We shall see if that occurs in timely fashion.
It depends on what your definition of timely fashion. I successfully entered my banking information on the 15th and still waiting.....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stimulus payment