Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm just sitting here waiting for our paper check to show up. it comes when it comes...people seem to be putting a lot of effort and angst into figuring out the up to the minute status of their free money.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol1862 View Post
3 of my kids got their check. The one that needs it the most, of course, can’t even get the site to identify her. She can’t get past the first page of SS, DOB and address. She has correspondence from IRS and made sure she’s entering address exactly as they have it (pretty straightforward address). Comes back that they can’t identify her. Then it locks her out. Anyone out there that can offer us help for her??

She filed by paper in mid Feb. Never received her refund. Site states they are working on it.

BTW, for people like this who just don’t get their checks will there be a way on next years taxes to declare this? What do you think?

She is NOT happy!!!
I don't think there's anything she can do to improve her chances of getting a payment this year. The IRS has her 2019 return, so they are supposed to base her payment off of that, but they haven't finished processing it so they can't do the calculation. Now the return processing centers are closed due to the virus, so until those reopen, I think she's stuck.

Does she file as head-of-household, claim the earned income credit, or the American Opportunity credit? Any of those can hold up the processing, especially for a paper return which is slower anyway, and might be a reason why her refund was delayed. Also, since you said she has correspondence from the IRS, was there a problem on a previous return? That can also afffect processing of future returns.

If her 2020 earnings qualify her for the money, then she will definitely be able to claim it when she files her 2020 return next Feb.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #623
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I'm just sitting here waiting for our paper check to show up. it comes when it comes...people seem to be putting a lot of effort and angst into figuring out the up to the minute status of their free money.
At the rate the gov't is handing out $$$, I want to get my share before they run out
Old 05-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #624
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
At the rate the gov't is handing out $$$, I want to get my share before they run out
You do realize they never run out...they just keep printing more..if we do that we go to jail..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #625
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
MIL had payment date of 4/30 and it was "pending" at BofA yesterday (4/30) and it's posted today (5/1) with a deposit date of 4/30....All good here...I bet yours is in your account this morning (5/1) dated 4/30.

Still nothing this morning
rdy4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #626

Nothing yet in the mail or direct deposit.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #627
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy4er View Post
IRS “get my payment” site showing paid on April 30, but not showing up in the bank. Anyone else have the same problem?
No, my get my payment said Apr 30 and when I logged onto my bank yesterday morning it was there.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #628
Recycles dryer sheets

We were one of the zero refund/owed group who successfully entered our information on Sat. April 25. The IRS site now shows that we are scheduled for a DD on May 6.
gailwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post
We were one of the zero refund/owed group who successfully entered our information on Sat. April 25. The IRS site now shows that we are scheduled for a DD on May 6.
We also have the May 6 date for direct deposit as of this morning. We had been getting the "Payment Status Not Available" error message until April 24 when we were finally able to enter our bank info.

DMIL is still waiting for a printed check which, according to the Get My Payment tool, was mailed yesterday, May 1. She had the zero refund/owed problem as well, but they put her on the May 1 check distribution before I could enter her bank info.

Both our kids got direct deposits on April 15 because they had refunds with bank info on their 2018 returns.

None of us have filed 2019 yet.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #630
Give me a forum ...

On the 23rd of April I wrote.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
About 30 minutes ago, I went to the IRS website and was finally able to get to the screen that said we were eligible and asked questions about direct deposit.

We filed our 2018 return (got a refund and had the refund direct deposited in our checking account). We had also filed our 2019 return, but owed money (had them take it from the same checking account).

I assumed since we had a direct deposit in 2018, they would send it automatically. That wasn't the case. I filled in the info they requested and it was a success. Not sure how long it will take to receive the money, but at least I was able to get that done.
Last night the updated info indicated a direct deposit will be made May 6th.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #631
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finally was able to enter bank account info with IRS last week, and this morning my bank account shows pending deposit for May 6. I had to enter 2018 tax data (previous address) even though I had filed 2019 taxes back in March with my current address.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #632
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks to learning on this forum that I needed to add bank information on the IRS website (I foolishly thought that since I paid directly from our bank account they would have the info) I entered the information mid April. The funds were in out account on April 30.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #633

Have not filed 2019 taxes , but put in my info on monday after the website updates. Now says a date middle of next week.

For those that cant wait, the UK stimulus programme is running today.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #634
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with the group that should see their deposit next Wednesday, May 6.
Momcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:45 PM   #635

We got ours Thursday; DW had entered the bank info in the website, since we got a IRS check refund for 2019.

On the other hand, our DS who moved in with us (lived in Seattle until last month) hasn't received anything, nor can he get information on the website. (He got a 6 month contract job here in Reno programming for an insurer and is working from home. If they hire him after 6 months, he'll move out to an apt. or buy a house.) I think the change of address probably screwed things up for him.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #636
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: the irs.gov site went from indicating direct deposit on April 30 to now will get mailed out on May 8th. We’ll see
rdy4er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #637
Recycles dryer sheets

Paper checks showed up in the mail yesterday. Two $1200 checks to wards who had died at the beginning of 2019 and a $1200 check to another ward who is a minor of 13 years old.

I'll of course be sending them back, but I cannot imagine how many undeserving people are receiving these checks and not saying anything.
firemediceric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #638

Interesting, the IRS site does not recognize my Social Security number. I wonder if someone (a scammer, that is) filed my tax return for me?
Old 05-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #639
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Interesting, the IRS site does not recognize my Social Security number. I wonder if someone (a scammer, that is) filed my tax return for me?
Unfortunately that could be what's happened. Check out this IRS link: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpaye...identity-theft
Old 05-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailwinters View Post
Same story here.

Tags
stimulus payment