Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #641
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Unfortunately that could be what's happened. Check out this IRS link: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpaye...identity-theft
At the very least everybody should open/activate their account with IRS. That will keep the scammers from doing it for you.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #642
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paper check in hand.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Stimulus received, duty done.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:31 AM   #643
Recycles dryer sheets

Stimulus received, duty done.

A recent letter to the editor in my local paper pointed out that congress is throwing trillions at the virus and economic stimulus. No doubt this is a true emergency, but as the writer pointed out one trillion is a million million. Put another way, it's one million dollars a day for 2,740 years. Do the math.

And 2 trillion is just the first step. [mod edit]
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #644

Our May 6 direct deposit arrived a day early. It hit our Fidelity cash management account just after midnight last night and is now included in our balance available to withdraw.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemediceric View Post
Paper checks showed up in the mail yesterday. Two $1200 checks to wards who had died at the beginning of 2019 and a $1200 check to another ward who is a minor of 13 years old.

I'll of course be sending them back, but I cannot imagine how many undeserving people are receiving these checks and not saying anything.
I heard on the radio today that people are getting checks made out to 'Joe Blow, deceased' and somehow they are able to cash them. Makes no sense to me, but that's what I heard.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
At the rate the gov't is handing out $$$, I want to get my share before they run out
I got my paper check of free money for $1,200 in the mail yesterday, and I actually wondered if the bank would have any cash on hand to give me for it, lol. You always hear about banks sometimes giving folks a hard time. I then imagined hoards of 'free money' check-cashers descending on the drive up windows of banks, only to be told there's no cash to give out, screaming, fist fights, etc. But no. Only one car ahead of me. No problem cashing it. I did have enough in my account to cover it, btw.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #647
Administrator

Posts were deleted & edited. Let’s remember to please keep politics and elections out of the discussion.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #648
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I heard on the radio today that people are getting checks made out to 'Joe Blow, deceased' and somehow they are able to cash them. Makes no sense to me, but that's what I heard.
I read that for the Treasury to make the necessary programming changes to NOT send the money to deceased taxpayers would have delayed the payments for ALL taxpayers; so they let it go, thinking they'll address it later. How they'll address it is an open question.

In my case, I was my father's POA. He passed last November. I did his final taxes for 2019. His refund was deposited into my checking account since he no longer had any accounts (being deceased). In mid-April, I got $1200 deposited into my checking account. Assuming it was my stimulus money, I moved it to savings. Imagine my surprise two weeks later, the treasury letter addressed to Deceased Dad, c/o me informing him they deposited his stimulus money 2 weeks earlier. So, whenever they get their act together, they can come claw it back. I didn't ask for it, they knew he was deceased; yet still sent it.
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #649
Give me a forum ...

Ours came and replenished our charity fund today.

Even though it said May 6th. Happy Cinco de Mayo all.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #650

Entered our bank info exactly two weeks ago. Check was scheduled for tomorrow and arrived today..Happy everything.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:26 PM   #651
Give me a forum ...

Finally saw the May 6 deposit notice.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #652

I'm still waiting,

Taxes filed April 10 with my routing numbers. I also put them on the website April 29th. Finally got into the site.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #653
Recycles dryer sheets

We owe Uncle Sam some $- due by July 15. We have not sent in the $ yet. Is the reason we have not received our stimulus $- because we didn't send in 2019 return yet?
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain skier View Post
We owe Uncle Sam some $- due by July 15. We have not sent in the $ yet. Is the reason we have not received our stimulus $- because we didn't send in 2019 return yet?
If you owed in the past (so the irs doesn't have your deposit info), that might be it. If you didn't qualify in 2018 that would also do it.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #655
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If you owed in the past (so the irs doesn't have your deposit info), that might be it. If you didn't qualify in 2018 that would also do it.
IRS has our bank info for direct deposit. We had a 2018 return and decades of years prior- long time tax payers

I am curious if you owe this year and haven't filed yet: the IRS has tax payers in our situation as low priority stimulus payout?

Curious if others are in our situation.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #656
Administrator

As others have mentioned above, just because the IRS has bank information sufficient to draw your taxes owed in the past, does not mean they have bank information sufficient to make this deposit. Only if you have received a direct deposit refund in the past is the information adequate. So if you've never had a direct deposit refund, you have to go on the site and give the bank information to them.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #657
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
As others have mentioned above, just because the IRS has bank information sufficient to draw your taxes owed in the past, does not mean they have bank information sufficient to make this deposit. Only if you have received a direct deposit refund in the past is the information adequate. So if you've never had a direct deposit refund, you have to go on the site and give the bank information to them.
We have had direct deposit as recent as 2018 taxes, deposited April 2019.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #658
Administrator

Quote:
Well, there goes that theory. Hard to say what the issue could be. The website gave me "payment status unavailable" for the longest time, then finally accepted my 2018 numbers (even though I paper filed my 2019 taxes in March) and took my bank information. Then it stalled me for another week or so . Finally, just a few days ago, it said I'll get a deposit tomorrow 5/6/20. So I don't know what else to advise other than to keep trying.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So did we, but they still required account information on the website.

However, we did file our 2019 return and we owed money (had them take the money from the same checking account). I assume they just looked at our 2019 return.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #660
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The most likely explanation then is that your 2018 AGI was too high for you to qualify for a stimulus payment.

What does the IRS "Where's my payment?" tool say for you when you put in your 2018 information?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stimulus payment